• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Harvin, Spikes still weighing options

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I'm hopinmg that they'll stay since Tebow's coming back; they have two more days to decide as of today (1/13): http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida_gators/2009-01-12/harvin_spikes_still_weighing_options

21864263.jpg

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
More food for thought from this same article:

"Linebacker Brandon Spikes and receiver Percy Harvin have yet to announce their decisions, and UF coach Urban Meyer said Sunday he's not sure what either is going to do.

"The good thing about these guys, you're talking about quality families and you're talking about educated guys," Meyer said. "Four years ago, if you asked me that, I had no idea. I wasn't involved. There were some people that shouldn't be involved. Some making horrible decisions. I don't blame them. I didn't recruit them. I didn't know them. They weren't my people. You would think after a while, I'd be their coach, but that didn't happen.

"These guys will make the right decision."

Does the text in bold give you a subtle hint that Meyer was not happy with the mess Zook left when he was fired back in 2004, as well as that some of the players may have been rebelling against the changes Meyer was implementing? No wonder why he gave everybody an ultimatum after the South Carolina loss in 2005 to either buy into his program or get out. That, and based on the attrition after our 2006 win, it seems that the players Zook recruited were only interested in UF as a stepping-stone to the NFL.

No wonder why Meyer was more praiseworthy of this 2008 team than he was of the guys back in 2006. The guys he recruited worked with him and not against him.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well I hate to knock Reggie Nelson because wasn't one of the reasons that he left early was his mom. He had a OK rookie year though last season he's struggled. You could make the arguement with Moss and Harvey. Can you make the arguement with Thomas (more than likely) and Siler?

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Well I hate to knock Reggie Nelson because wasn't one of the reasons that he left early was his mom. He had a OK rookie year though last season he's struggled. You could make the arguement with Moss and Harvey. Can you make the arguement with Thomas (more than likely) and Siler?

Reggie Nelson also had two children to take care of, so I'd never begrudge him that. There was no reason for Moss, Siler or Harvey not to stay and finish school as far as I'm concerned; Siler could have improved his draft stock with another year in college (if I remember correctly he went to the Chargers in the 7th round in 2007) as well as provided a LOT of leadership to the Gators' 2007 defense that was lacking.

Marcus Thomas is a different story. Has booted from the team by Meyer and for good cause. He was given a second chance but screwed up, and didn't keep his nose clean at the NFL level, either - he was busted for marijuana possession not that long ago.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Could someone tell me why Siler was drafted in the 7th round while Thomas was drafted in the 4th Round? Keep in mind, that Spikes (Siler's replacement) was the best player on D in 2007. The Secondry needed leadership I wish Smith stayed (though he already had his degree).

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I think Harvin should go pro. Unless he can have a good season (as we would expect from him) with no injuries, it's in his best interest to go pro. By staying another season, he's risking tens of millions of dollars. Even if he only suffers a minor injury, he'll further reinforce the NFL sentiment that he's injury prone (even if he is, why make it more obvious?).

If he stays one more year, I want it to be because he thinks playing for a possible third national title is worth more than money. I don't want him to stay thinking, "the money can wait." If he picks the latter reason, I hope he gets good insurance and truly understands his risk versus return situation (which I'm sure he will).

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Could someone tell me why Siler was drafted in the 7th round while Thomas was drafted in the 4th Round? Keep in mind, that Spikes (Siler's replacement) was the best player on D in 2007. The Secondry needed leadership I wish Smith stayed (though he already had his degree).

Hindsight is 20-20, and Ryan Smith should have used his 4th year of eligiblilty. God knows we could have used him at cornerback in 2007.

Its funny that Siler was the first member of the 2006 championship team to score an NFL touchdown.....

....and did so on a special-teams play.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema