• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Greatest Gator ever?

JohnnyBGood

VIP Member
As you can see by my signature, I loved Emmitt when he was here. He might not have the best rushing stats as a Gator, but that's because he didn't play all 4 years.

He left Florida after his junior year with 3,928 rushing yards and 36 touchdowns. In 1989, Smith was named a first-team All-American, SEC Player of the Year and finished 7th in the Heisman voting after an amazing 1,599 yards and 16 TDs.

So who do you think is the best gator football player of all time?

PhD Gator

Super Moderator
As you can see by my signature, I loved Emmitt when he was here. He might not have the best rushing stats as a Gator, but that's because he didn't play all 4 years.

He left Florida after his junior year with 3,928 rushing yards and 36 touchdowns. In 1989, Smith was named a first-team All-American, SEC Player of the Year and finished 7th in the Heisman voting after an amazing 1,599 yards and 16 TDs.

So who do you think is the best gator football player of all time?
It's a really tough call, but I would have to go with Danny. Part of it is the fact that I'm still relatively young (24) so I didn't watch some of the Gator greats play like I did with Danny. However, the main thing that gets me with Danny is the person that he is. I remember being about 13 years old and at a Gator basketball game. My cousin told me he had seen Danny at the game and pointed me in the direction of where he was sitting. I had my #7 Gator jersey on and went over by his section and was looking around trying to find him. He saw me looking around with my jersey on and I'm assuming that he figured out I had to be looking for him. So, he stands up and waves me up to him and then asks his friend next to him if he would mind if I set in his seat for a few minutes. I got to sit next to Danny and talk to him for a couple of minutes while watching the game and then he signed my jersey for me. Anyways, that coupled with the fact that he led us to our first National Title, won a Heisman, represented our University with class, and is an overall amazing person makes him the best Gator football player of all time to me.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Thats a great story PhD. I wish I had a story like that with some Gator players. You forgot to mention his 4 SEC titles though!

In my opinion, the greatest Gator football player has to be Danny. For all the reasons PhD listed above. The guy was a champion like no other gator we've seen.

Another all-time great that comes to mind is Jack Youngblood.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
If you want the greatest Gator in terms of team accomplishments, I would say Danny. But in terms of ability and skill I would say Emmitt Smith.

UGAsucks

VIP Member
it really is a hard choice theres been so many greats

but im going to have to say emmitt, jevon, or danny

blueshoesnb

VIP Member
Chris has to be thrown into the talks too.

I mean he is only at the top of just about every passing record in Florida History. Granted he did only win 1 sec title and 1 national title, he did go through 2 very different style coaching systems. and this was after he thought he would be used in steves offense. Chris has had to develop in so many ways in his 4 years in orange and blue. In his time under Zook he was just used to relay the message from the sidelines and then run the play. Under Meyer he can call his own plays audible out of them into other plays and is required to be vocal, where it was said under Zook some players had never even heard Leak speak. Im not saying hes the best Im just saying he should be considered. Danny only had one coach, and look what he did. Look what Chris did trying to learn 2 different offenses in 4 years...

JohnnyBGood

VIP Member
Chris has to be thrown into the talks too.

I mean he is only at the top of just about every passing record in Florida History. Granted he did only win 1 sec title and 1 national title, he did go through 2 very different style coaching systems. and this was after he thought he would be used in steves offense. Chris has had to develop in so many ways in his 4 years in orange and blue. In his time under Zook he was just used to relay the message from the sidelines and then run the play. Under Meyer he can call his own plays audible out of them into other plays and is required to be vocal, where it was said under Zook some players had never even heard Leak speak. Im not saying hes the best Im just saying he should be considered. Danny only had one coach, and look what he did. Look what Chris did trying to learn 2 different offenses in 4 years...

Leak definetly had that against him... the 2 coaches in 4 years thing. Plus, Leak was never asked to run up the score like quarterbacks were known for doing in the Spurrier era.

Very interesting...

Niz3l

Gator Fan
To me, I would say Leak. I really admire him. But I also like Kearse, Danny and Emmit.

But to me the best player I just love right now is Reggie Nelson. #1

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
I think what people love about Leak is that he was a model Gator on and off the field. He never complained about anything. He never put himself before the team.

His dad may have made a few comments to the media, but Chris never did. He simply went out there and made the most of his opporunities.

SexyRexy

Gator Fan
Kevin Cart is another player that comes to mind. He was on the All SEC teams his junior and senior years and was an All American. Posted 11.5 sacks in his senior year. He is one of the best DTs we've ever had, not to mention a Gator Hall of Famer.

In Urban I Trust

Bull Gator
Kevin Cart is another player that comes to mind. He was on the All SEC teams his junior and senior years and was an All American. Posted 11.5 sacks in his senior year. He is one of the best DTs we've ever had, not to mention a Gator Hall of Famer.

kevin carter??

blueshoesnb

VIP Member
I think if you look at what people have done over the long run after uf its smith, but if you just look at college which is quite hard to do i give the edge to leak. thats based soley on what he did in orange and blue not what smith did for the cowboys and all that. yes he was a beast at uf but i like leak over him

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema