• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Good Rule : Bad Rule ?

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
This rule did not favor us Saturday.
Good Rule : Bad Rule ?
30rvhnq.gif

2ic000z.gif

gogators9606

Gator Fan
Bad rule..... Because the ball if it hit the field could of stayed in bounce... We dont know... I think NCAA needs to look at that

dawgystyle

Gator Fan
what are yall talking about? this is a good rule, just because it went against your gators I know you will complain about it. but think about it the defender while intercepting a ball becomes the receiver and that is why they have this rule.

gogators9606

Gator Fan
what are yall talking about? this is a good rule, just because it went against your gators I know you will complain about it. but think about it the defender while intercepting a ball becomes the receiver and that is why they have this rule.

But a defender or receiver that has one foot in bounce is in not out......

DocZaius

Gator Fan
The rule you quoted appears to favor us, if we're discussing the same call.

The interpretation under Rule 6 - Kicks, reads:

IV. Airborne B17 has leaped from inbounds and is the first player to
touch Team A’s free kick when he receives the ball. He subsequently
lands out of bounds with the ball in his possession. RULING: Foul,
free kick out of bounds. Team B has these options: it may accept a
five-yard penalty at the previous spot with Team A re-kicking; snap
the ball at its 40-yard line at the inbounds spot (assuming the free
kick was from the 30-yard line); or snap the ball at the inbounds spot
five yards from where the ball crossed the sideline.

I thought the LSU player who caught the ball had one foot in bounds when he came down and THEN stepped out of bounds with the other foot. If that's the case (and I think the replay was pretty conclusive), then it should have been ruled as a catch. The ball should have been spotted at the point where he stepped out of bounds.

If, however, the first foot to touch the ground touched out of bounds, then the officials made the right call.

I'm still waiting on someone somewhere to explain this to my satisfaction. The talking heads on TV were acting like it was the right call, but it clearly wasn't.

shandsgator8

VIP Member

I thought the LSU player who caught the ball had one foot in bounds when he came down and THEN stepped out of bounds with the other foot. If that's the case (and I think the replay was pretty conclusive), then it should have been ruled as a catch. The ball should have been spotted at the point where he stepped out of bounds.

If, however, the first foot to touch the ground touched out of bounds, then the officials made the right call.

I'm still waiting on someone somewhere to explain this to my satisfaction. The talking heads on TV were acting like it was the right call, but it clearly wasn't.

I was confused too, as while I don't know the rules for kick off returns, it appeared the LSU player had one foot in bounds, on the ground as he made the catch. Only when he finished the catch, did his right foot (which was out of bounds, but had not touched the ground yet) finally step out of bounds. I figured that would have been a catch if he were a receiver, so therefore I figured the ball should have been spotted at the 13 instead of the 40.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I know, that is exactly what the rule says! it says if the first foot lands down with the defender having possesion of the ball it is an interception. whats the confusion here?

Bro, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. We're talking about the kickoff return. We're not debating any interception....

dawgystyle

Gator Fan
Bro, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. We're talking about the kickoff return. We're not debating any interception....

appareantly some of you gators dont know the rules to the game then because the rule posted above is about receptions and interceptions. go learn the rules of the game and come back and talk with me!

dawgystyle

Gator Fan
you will what nov 1st, know the rules of the game? come on man make some since when you post.

but anyways there is no reason to jump on me I was just explaining what the rule meant to someone that apparently does not know. if you want to talk about the rules of fielding a catch rather than receptions and interceptions than post that rule instead it is below section FR86 in section 6 in the link provided!

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rulesadc982b5-03fb-4e27-828c-c2d26b95e6c1.pdf

your welcome, knowledge is power my friend. now go acquire some!

dawgystyle

Gator Fan

I did not see the play but the ruling should be if he had one foot inbounds while he had possession of the ball then the ball should be at the place he went out of bounds, but on the other hand if he does not get one foot inbounds when he catches the ball then it is considered out of bounds and those penalties would come into play. the only way I could see it being bad for the gators either way is if the receiver could have stayed in bounds but jumped before he caught the ball purposely to land out of bounds or if the ref. messed up the call, but like I said I did not see the play so I dont know!:)

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
dawg you share one thing with the zebras, you both didn't see the play........
The SEC league offices admit they blew that call.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Going thru the rules I learned a couple things, one was that I don't want the officials job. Another is that there is no specific line that addresses our play (that dawg and the zebras missed). The rule I posted is this one ......
RULE 4-2 / BALL IN PLAY , DEAD BALL, OUT OF BOUNDS
I refer to it because it seemed to not only apply to the play but it described what occured in the play in case you didn't see it.
DocZ's rule post clarified it a bit more as it applied to an airborne rception on a kickoff. Or muddled things up if you weren't watching.
The fundemental rule that I think might apply is this one which btw they admit they missed even after reviewing it in the booth....
Held Ball Out of Bounds
ARTICLE 2. A ball in player possession is out of bounds when either the
ball or any part of the runner touches the ground or anything else that is on or outside a boundary line except another player or game official.
So I guess all this is moot, but thanks dawg for helpin' to keep it going. OH dawg, BTW I found this that may interest you since it describes the style of play your team seems to favor of late.....
The Footbal Code
Sportsmanship
The football player or coach who intentionally violates a rule is guilty of unfair play and unsportsmanlike conduct; and whether or not he escapes being penalized, he brings discredit to the good name of the game, which is his duty as a player or coach to uphold.
woofwoof don't be lookin' past those 'dores

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema