• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GATORS will try "no-huddle"

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
This plan has been in the works for more than a year, Meyer said.
"We've been intrigued by the no-huddle and up-tempo," he said. "We actually went to Missouri (which runs the hurry-up) for the first week of spring ball last year. We sent (offensive coordinator) Dan Mullen to study the mechanics of it."
Mullen is gone, but new offensive coordinator Steve Addazio and new quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler are prepared to add the fast-break to UF's offensive repertoire this spring. If the experiment goes well, the Gators will be hopping on to what could be the wave of the future in college football.
"The thing is, the tempo of the game is a pain in the butt (for opposing defenses)," Meyer said. "If you have only two or three days to prepare for it, it's almost impossible to stop. Now that we have the opportunity (this spring), we're going to take a look at it."
Can you say juggernaut !?!!!?
How exciting is this going to be for us to watch?
The rest of the story...

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Just when other teams think they have Meyer figured out, he always manages to stay one step ahead of the pack. Thank God we have him at UF!

if it works...its gonna be NASTY

If Meyer is doing it then it will work. He will put his own twist on it and he will make it work. Everyone will say it won't work in the SEC just like the "Spread" won't work in the SEC, we all know how that has worked out.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
It may work, but if so, why didn't he do it sooner? I'm thinking a major reason the hurry up is supposedly going to be used this season is because Harvin is gone.

Also, why broadcast this fact so soon? Wouldn't it be better to wait and let teams find out later during spring practice or maybe during the season?

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
I think part of the reason for doing it now is to display TT's versatility as well as how he can handle being under the center more, which I think will happen more in the no-huddle. As far as showing his hand now, for 2 seasons teams new what to expect from us w/ Harvin & Tebow and co. yet they would fail more times at stopping them than not.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Sure, but knowing a team will run no huddle so far ahead of time can be very useful. For example, if we only had 4 days to prepare to OU in the BCS title game, I doubt we would have held them to only 14 points.

But then again, if teams know UF is capable of running a hurry up offense (although maybe not as well as OU did during the regular season), perhaps it will force teams to prepare for our hurry up offense and spend less time on preparing for fake punts, blocked punts, kick return coverage, etc.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Im a fan of running no huddle for the first drive of the game, it takes a while for the defense to adjust, so it is usually works. i can only imagine us doing this for a majority of the game haha

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Sure, but knowing a team will run no huddle so far ahead of time can be very useful. For example, if we only had 4 days to prepare to OU in the BCS title game, I doubt we would have held them to only 14 points.

But then again, if teams know UF is capable of running a hurry up offense (although maybe not as well as OU did during the regular season), perhaps it will force teams to prepare for our hurry up offense and spend less time on preparing for fake punts, blocked punts, kick return coverage, etc.
I agree with your points although all those defenses having to face us will have to prepare for one more thing and as a consequence we will have the advantage. Of course it will boil down to preperation and execution.
Here is a position we didn't see TT in much unless he was going over an OG
bilde

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Coach Meyer and Steve Addazio are testing the I-formaiton with the Gator offense, but it's not working so well at this time: http://www.alligator.org/articles/2009/03/31/sports/football/090331_notes.txt

I have felt that we needed the I-formation for a while, but it only needs to be used in goaline and 3rd & 4th and short

I would get mad a lot last year when we needed short yards and we ran some shotgun play that got us nothing... but then we would have the same situation later in the game and use a shotgun formation and it would work lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema