• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators Recruiting 2024 Discussion

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Adding your subsequent "Flip-Warning" list above, I'd say he was currently failing on BOTH fronts, wouldn't you?
ESD is not looking like a celebratory day for us at this point. Maybe if you had been a better GAME- Coach, Billy, found a way to hold the lead late in a couple of those last few games, this all would have gone a little differently.
I don't like the "desertion of honor" we've seen from both commits and scholarship players here lately, but that's the world we live in now: No one wants to be associated with a "loser", and you sure as HELL have given us that aroma, Mr. Napier!
It is too early to judge success or failure. In this era we are going to see flips and transfers at an unprecedented rate. Georgia lost five 5-stars to the portal and had at least two flips. Alabama has similar numbers.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It is too early to judge success or failure. In this era we are going to see flips and transfers at an unprecedented rate. Georgia lost five 5-stars to the portal and had at least two flips. Alabama has similar numbers.
Yes--and I admit that I personally find a certain "relief and satisfaction" at such news currently pouring in from all around us.
Small of me, I know--but what can I do? There has been so little "pure and positive" reason for encouragement out there otherwise of late!
But overall, let's face it: Just more evidence of how screwed the current "system of confusion" really has become. The spineless NCAA, in a desperate effort to hold onto at least a "figurehead" place in the CFB Universe, has stood weakly/MEEKLY by while it has melted itself down to this minor-league "pay-for-play" version of the already long-since mangled pro-game.
I really don't know if it is even "fixable" anymore: Things may have gone too far--and soon it will be for too long as well. At a certain point there'll be no way back.
I'm not the only one who has already reached a sort of "saturation limit"--I'm starting to simply NOT GIVE A DAMN. Why should we CARE about these spoiled guys who we used to think of as "fellow Gators"? THEY don't care about US, the team OR University. This all got to be tiresome even at the pro-level. It is completely unpalatable at the collegiate one.
As a scholarship upper-division student, I used to feel like a part of the team as a tutor for a number of athletes. It seemed natural that these young men should be fairly recompensed FOR THEIR efforts as well--and, all in all, it wasn't the idea of PAY that threatened the system, but the very exploitative nature of that former-system that seemed the threat. However, this haphazard surrender to the worst aspects of greed and power-mongering that has so quickly rushed in to replace it is a full-on runaway DISASTER.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Maybe. But frankly, I am very quickly now tiring of this whole business.
How to root for a team of selfish young prima donnas who are starring for us one season but may well be playing for another team in our conference the NEXT one?
No matter what you might think of TT if you met him one on one today, you could ALWAYS AND FOREVER BE SURE that HE was never going to be anything but a GATOR once he got here, no matter WHAT the rules allowed--OR what anyone was willing to pay him. Call me naive, but I STILL believe that, from the bottom of my heart.
Then again, I suppose I would have said that about SS TOO--right up to the day he signed with Lou Holtz at USC(east)...but that was a different situation, long AFTER his career as a player, and seversl years and a particular sequence of events at UF as Coach (taking heat, even some boos for his teams losing one, then two games in the seasons directly after winning a Natty!)...As a powerful AD, Lou was able to offer him a chance to be a hero as a program's most successful Coach EVER by leading them to the same kind of seasons he was getting booed for in Gainesville...I guess THAT one's to a large extent ON US FANS.
No matter what, things are sure different now.
I suppose standards, values and expectations among incoming students are different too.
What I and others born before the millennium consider "noble, fair and just" is just a silly fairy tale to the kids coming up today.
I keep going back to something someone said to me a good 20 YEARS ago now:
"To kids today, 'SELLING OUT' is a GOOD thing..."
You know what I am saying when I still say, "That about sums things up."

Escambia94

Maybe. But frankly, I am very quickly now tiring of this whole business.
How to root for a team of selfish young prima donnas who are starring for us one season but may well be playing for another team in our conference the NEXT one?
No matter what you might think of TT if you met him one on one today, you could ALWAYS AND FOREVER BE SURE that HE was never going to be anything but a GATOR once he got here, no matter WHAT the rules allowed--OR what anyone was willing to pay him. Call me naive, but I STILL believe that, from the bottom of my heart.
Then again, I suppose I would have said that about SS TOO--right up to the day he signed with Lou Holtz at USC(east)...but that was a different situation, long AFTER his career as a player, and seversl years and a particular sequence of events at UF as Coach (taking heat, even some boos for his teams losing one, then two games in the seasons directly after winning a Natty!)...As a powerful AD, Lou was able to offer him a chance to be a hero as a program's most successful Coach EVER by leading them to the same kind of seasons he was getting booed for in Gainesville...I guess THAT one's to a large extent ON US FANS.
No matter what, things are sure different now.
I suppose standards, values and expectations among incoming students are different too.
What I and others born before the millennium consider "noble, fair and just" is just a silly fairy tale to the kids coming up today.
I keep going back to something someone said to me a good 20 YEARS ago now:
"To kids today, 'SELLING OUT' is a GOOD thing..."
You know what I am saying when I still say, "That about sums things up."
Apparently there is a back story. Michael Tarquin left Florida to be with his girlfriend, a daughter of NFL Hall of Fame player and former Jacksonville Jaguars offensive lineman Tony Boselli. His wife graduated from USCw recently and they are considering moving back close to Jacksonville.

Sometimes these transfers have nothing to do with football and NIL.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Apparently there is a back story. Michael Tarquin left Florida to be with his girlfriend, a daughter of NFL Hall of Fame player and former Jacksonville Jaguars offensive lineman Tony Boselli. His wife graduated from USCw recently and they are considering moving back close to Jacksonville.

Sometimes these transfers have nothing to do with football and NIL.
OK. That's one particular case. Doesn't change all the rest...OR things like with the portal: This business of "NOT-so-Princely" quitting us to transfer over to Kiffie's Rebels is just a total, extreme kick-in-the-HEAD!

Escambia94

Three more days until early signing day(s). Florida landed two transfers on the final weekend for official visits.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've been mostly steering clear of obsessing on ESD...but of COURSE it is weighing heavily in the back of my mind. After that recent flurry of flips, there've been rumors, smoke but no fires yet that have made real that seemingly "about to happen" avalanche of losses.
A small (but desperate) hope remains that this week will somehow bring us the bulk of what appears at this point (on paper at least) to be a pretty decent remaining recruiting class--one that might well even be mostly redeemed by continued successfully aggressive efforts in the portal.
Here's hoping...

Escambia94

Xavier Filsaime flipped to Texas, as expected in the worst kept secret in college football news. Assume Florida also loses two more blue chips and drops outside the top 10.

Before the flip Florida was ranked #5 with 283.06 points. As of Monday evening the class is #8 with 273.99 points after the Filsaime flip. Losing Adarius Hayes to Miami could drop Florida to #15. Florida would need to add Jameer Grimsley to get back to #12. Getting Zavier Mincey could get Florida back to #8 or #9.

Assume the following flips away from Florida:
Xavier Filsaime, Adarius Hayes, Amaris Williams.

Potential flips to Florida: Jameer Grimsley, Zavier Mincey, Jaden Baugh.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So much for that "Elite Class". Worst-kept secret or not, the Filsaime flip is just the realization of our ongoing "fear and loathing". We are "rotting in slow motion"...Is there a WORSE description possible for a once-PROMISING program's fate??!
We seem to be doing s little better in the portal than expected (I'm hardly an expert, though: I hadn't even been following what for us has seemed til recently a moribund facet of modern team-building)...However, it would take a MASSIVE closing with regard to both recruits AND transfers to get us even NEAR the cumulative "Top 5" (assuming there even IS such a thing) once more.
Bah! Who'm I KIDDING? How many different ways can I say the very same thing???
I don't even want to keep TRYING. I think I see our dark and broken path ahead pretty clearly. I have ZERO interest in either suffering through it, OR for that matter saying "See?!!" OR "I TOLD you so!" over and over again.
I am sick of me already--And I am just "the MESSENGER".

Escambia94

The board will look like this on national signing day:
Name/ Position/ Ht/ Wt/ Points/ Diff
DJ Lagway QB 6-2 225 99.5868 + 29.59​
LJ McCray DL 6-6 260 98.3837 + 28.21​
Myles Graham LB 6-1 212 97.4508 + 26.78​
Adarius Hayes LB 6-4 210 96.3564 + 24.93​
Amaris Williams DL 6-3 270 96.0846 + 23.63​
Amir Jackson TE 6-4 223 95.8192 + 22.13​
Aaron Chiles LB 6-3 220 95.5455 + 20.46​
Fletcher Westphal OT 6-8 335 92.1058 + 16.34​
Kahnen Daniels RB 5-11 190 91.2513 + 14.32​
Jerrae Hawkins WR 5-9 165 91.1055 + 12.80​
Izaiah Williams WR 6-0 172 90.3024 + 10.95​
Tawaski Abrams WR 5-11 175 90.2517 + 9.60​
Brien Taylor DL 6-6 270 89.1486 + 7.87​
Marcus Mascoll OT 6-4.5 292 88.9971 + 6.69​
Josiah Davis S 6-1 185 88.5278 + 5.53​
Michai Boireau DL 6-5 390 87.5278 + 4.37​
Teddy Foster CB 6-2 170 87.2593 + 3.55​
Noel Portnjagin IOL 6-5 334 86.5556 + 2.78​
Mike Williams OT 6-7 310 85.7500 + 2.13​
272.65​

272.65 points puts the Gators at #10 without any last minute flips.

RankSchoolPoints
1​
Georgia​
310.10​
2​
Ohio State​
295.57​
3​
Alabama​
293.55​
4​
FSU​
291.04​
5​
Texas​
287.95​
6​
Miami​
281.04​
7​
Oklahoma​
275.98​
8​
Oregon​
275.31​
9​
Notre Dame​
274.07​
10​
Florida​
272.65​
11​
Auburn​
272.34​
12​
LSU​
269.96​
13​
Penn State​
266.36​
14​
Tennessee​
264.87​
15​
Clemson​
264.56​

The Gators could reach a max of 287.58 points if four recruits flipped to Florida, putting the Gators somewhere around #6 or #7.

Jameer Grimsley CB 6-3 185 92.3648 + 16.53​
Zavier Mincey S 6-3 180 97.1810 + 25.71​
Jadan Baugh ATH 6-0.5 214 89.6675 + 5.87​
Gregory Smith III ATH 6-4 200 88.4949 + 2.50​
Favour Edwin OT 6-6.5 300 87.2593 + 0.66
287.58​

Another likely scenario would be a mix of the options above, meaning Adarius Hayes and one other flips away from Florida and two from the bottom list flip to Florida. That would put the Gators right around #8 or #9. Rumored flips in or out:
- WR Jeremiah Smith Chaminade-Madonna Prep, Opa Locka, FL (0.9994): Ohio State commit considering Florida, FSU, Miami --> Ohio State. If Florida landed him (doubtful) he would add 29.94 points to the board and put Florida at 295.93 (~#2)
- ATH Jadan Baugh Columbia Decatur, GA (0.8967): Florida lean considering Florida, Alabama, Arkansas.
- S Gregory Smith III Sumner High Riverview, FL (0.8849): Florida lean considering Florida, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Army.
- OT Favour Edwin Eagles Landing Christian Academy McDonough, GA: Alabama commit considering Auburn, Florida.
- S Zavier Mincey Mainland Daytona Beach, FL: Florida commit considering Alabama, FSU, Miami after the firing of Corey Raymond.

Adding the three transfers the total score would be 290.0, which would be #5 right behind FSU before adding in everyone else's transfers.

Last edited:

Escambia94

Please keep this thread for discussions on Early Signing Day. The other thread will only be for announcing commitments directly from the University of Florida or the players.

Escambia94

7:15am: LB Myles Graham has become the first Gator to send in his letter of intent!
7:21am: JUCO DE Brien Taylor has sent in his letter of intent.
7:27am: TE Amir Jackson has sent in his letter of intent.

7:00am: IOL Noel Portnjagin
7:00am: RB Kahnen Daniels
7:00am: TE Amir Jackson
8:00am: JUCO DL Brien Taylor
8:30am: OL Fletcher Westphal
8:30am: CB Teddy Foster
9:00am: S Josiah Davis
10:00am: LJ McCray —> Florida
11:30am: OL Marcus Mascoll
12:00pm: OL Mike Williams

1:15pm: LB Adarius Hayes —> flip to Miami
1:45pm: DL Amaris Williams —> flip to Auburn

2:30pm: WR TJ Abrams
3:00pm: DL Michai Boireau
4:00pm: WR Izaiah Williams —> flip to Texas A&M
4:30pm: QB DJ Lagway
5:15pm: WR Jerrae Hawkins
TBA: LB Aaron Chiles Jr.

Currently uncommitted Florida targets:

12:00pm: OSU WR commit Jeremiah Smith —> Ohio State
1:15pm: DB Gregory Smith
6:30pm: RB Jadan Baugh
January 6: DB Zay Mincey: Likely flip to Alabama.
TBD: OL Favour Edwin

Last edited:

Escambia94

Since Nov. 11, Florida has lost the following blue chip recruits:
- five-star CB Xavier Filsaime (Texas)
- four-star DL Amaris Williams (Auburn)
- four-star DL Adarius Hayes (Miami)
- four-star DE Jamonta Waller (Auburn)
- four-star S Wardell Mack (Texas)
- four-star DL Nasir Johnson (Georgia).

Those six top-150 players are the equivalent of an entire top-25 class. Those defections dropped Florida from #3 back in November to #10 before early signing day to #15 by the end of the day assuming DJ Lagway signs.

Last edited:

Escambia94

The loss of DL Amaris Williams (Auburn) and Adarius Hayes (Miami) means that Napier absolutely needs to back up the Brinks truck to get at least two of the following transfers:
- Darian Varner (WISC)
- Jac Clayton (Miss St)
- Kris Ross (TEX)
- Korey Foreman (SC)
- Tygee Hill (LSU)

Last edited:

Escambia94

Between 7:00 AM and 5:00 PM this is how the 2024 recruiting rankings evolved.
1​
Georgia​
310.10​
same​
1​
315.22​
2​
Ohio State​
295.57​
down 1​
3​
288.81​
3​
Alabama​
293.55​
up 1​
2​
300.75​
4​
FSU​
291.04​
down 2 (Arrmondo Blount - Miami, KJ Bolden - UGA)​
6​
282.35​
5​
Texas​
287.95​
same​
5​
285.57​
6​
Miami​
281.04​
down 1​
7​
281.41​
7​
Oklahoma​
275.98​
down 2​
9​
276.39​
8​
Oregon​
275.31​
up 4​
4​
285.81​
9​
Notre Dame​
274.07​
down 1​
10​
274.44​
10​
Florida​
272.65​
down 6 (Amaris Williams - Auburn, Adarius Hayes - Miami)​
16​
258.37​
11​
Auburn​
272.34​
up 3​
8​
277.33​
12​
LSU​
269.96​
up 1​
11​
270.31​
13​
Penn State​
266.36​
down 1​
14​
265.46​
14​
Tennessee​
264.87​
up 1​
13​
265.87​
15​
Clemson​
264.56​
up 3​
12​
269.09​

At 258.37 and a ranking of 15, the class of 2024 is worse than the class of 2023 and is barely better than the class of 2022. If Napier does not pull off a miracle in the transfer portal then we can safely tune out the 2024 season and start placing bets on when Napier and Stricklin are going to be fired.

The combined rating is currently at 282.43, which is #15. Even if Florida added all five blue chips in the portal--Darian Varner (WISC), Jac Clayton (Miss St), Kris Ross (TEX), Korey Foreman (SC), and Tygee Hill (LSU)--the highest ranking it can get is 285.60, good enough for #7 (without accounting for transfer additions from other programs). Last year a 285.60 rating would be good for #9.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sorry, everyone:
Ali Peek's latest (dropped just a few hours ago) succinctly summarizes the true state of our program as of the reality of the actual signing class now crystallizes.
And by extension, I am DOUBLY "sorry" to insist that whatever "margin of error" our Coach had heading into 2024 is now "OFFICIALLY GONE"!
This apology goes out in particular to @Escambia94, , whom I still mainly agree with on most matters, but despite all tge qualifying exceptions to "the normal rules of operating" in this brave new world of Big Buy Outs, NIL and the Transfer Portal, I really now do believe he has practically NO "maneuvering room" left as we enter the 2024 season.
He was holding whatever was left of it on the strength of that once-"elite" '24 recruiting class.
That is gone. The only thread holding that head to his body now is the naked truth of how much DEEPER that hole gets in a world where he's been FIRED: As things stand here and now, WTF do we do THEN??! Where do we go? Who do we turn to?
By the way: This situation, once we saw it coming, might have been SOMEWHAT mitigated had an exciting young OC been naked and brought in BEFORE NSD. Now all we've got is an obvious "desperation move after the fact".
Y'all are left just hoping I am totally, completely WRONG--HELL, I hope I am wrong! All I'm left with is the abject hope that somehow I am proven a blind, faithless fool.
Go ahead and make that argument: I LONG to be convinced!

Escambia94

I disagree with Ali Peek on one point. She said NIL was not a factor in losing Xavier Filsaime, Amaris Williams and Adarius Hayes. She said Florida has plenty of resources. Florida has the 4th largest endowment to the athletic department but that is not what players care about. The $760M endowment from billionaires and millionaires like Gary Condron do not put money into the pockets of athletes—that money buys buildings with names on them like the Condron facility. Billy Napier recruited the #3 class and held that from June to November—with a losing record. That is good recruiting. Give him some credit. So what went wrong? The same boosters who screwed up the Jaden Rashada recruitment last year by offering too much money failed to offer enough money this year for Xavier Filsaime, Amaris Williams and Adarius Hayes.

NIL is the problem. These money grubbing kids will play at a losing school if it lands them $100k a year. When the losing coach gets fired they can move on to the next school and make $200k a year.

It is stupid to blame Napier because the Gainesville Ford dealer does not want to give athletes Ford Mustangs to drive. It is stupid to blame Napier because Hugh Hathcock tried to pay Jaden Rashada $1M or whatever it was. It is stupid to blame Napier when Lincoln Riley calls DJ Lagway right before his announcement and offers him $1M to flip from Florida to USC. This whole thing is stupid. Billy Napier will be fired next year for the mess that Florida has gotten itself into with NIL.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I disagree with Ali Peek on one point. She said NIL was not a factor in losing Xavier Filsaime, Amaris Williams and Adarius Hayes. She said Florida has plenty of resources. Florida has the 4th largest endowment to the athletic department but that is not what players care about. The $760M endowment from billionaires and millionaires like Gary Condron do not put money into the pockets of athletes—that money buys buildings with names on them like the Condron facility. Billy Napier recruited the #3 class and held that from June to November—with a losing record. That is good recruiting. Give him some credit. So what went wrong? The same boosters who screwed up the Jaden Rashada recruitment last year by offering too much money failed to offer enough money this year for Xavier Filsaime, Amaris Williams and Adarius Hayes.

NIL is the problem. These money grubbing kids will play at a losing school if it lands them $100k a year. When the losing coach gets fired they can move on to the next school and make $200k a year.

It is stupid to blame Napier because the Gainesville Ford dealer does not want to give athletes Ford Mustangs to drive. It is stupid to blame Napier because Hugh Hathcock tried to pay Jaden Rashada $1M or whatever it was. It is stupid to blame Napier when Lincoln Riley calls DJ Lagway right before his announcement and offers him $1M to flip from Florida to USC. This whole thing is stupid. Billy Napier will be fired next year for the mess that Florida has gotten itself into with NIL.
Um, well, "...Yes and no..."
It isn't a matter of "BLAME"--I don't see or really CARE who or what ALI is "BLAMIMG"...The main thing here is "HOW THINGS REALLY ARE!!!"
(By the way: I'm confused...Did DJ commit to us or NOT? I mean it: I THOUGHT he'd ultimately ignored all that last second BS--but now am seeing multiple comments that seem to indicate otherwise. We are in a bad way regardless--but the supposed "sole points of light" he and McCray represent are held up by some as our only "saving graces", or the "straws that break our backs!"...so which IS it?!!)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Some further investigation (I admit, I have of late more and more cut myself off from much of the latest machinations out there--the price of general alienation from the incessant bad news that as Gators we have been relentlessly exposed to) has yielded the apparent reassurance that we have at least thus far retained the commitment of 5-star commits Lagway and McCray, anyway.
The rest of what is shaping up as our 2024 line-up looks to be describeable in terms like "inadequate" and "disappointing" after all.
I understand, to a great extent even ACCEPT the explanations of exactly WHY our supposedly high-level recruiting Head Coach didn't exactly "close the deal" here, but as I say, "WTF do we do NOW?!!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am hardly following all this anymore:
The collecting of the right players, then somehow holding onto them as you build and coach a team and program into a Championship unit.
It has instead all devolved more and more into the backroom finances and interpersonal politics of institutional MANEUVERING--which most of us have very little interest in in the FIRST place!
Are 90 Thousand-plus likely to pack the Swamp to watch a bunch of suits argue and yell into their telephones??!
This isn't what we came for.
Frankly, I'm all for somehow BLOWING THE WHOLE THING UP and starting over.
We need to somehow find the right "administrative guy", some "Powerful Figure" who can bang heads and shape things up, have us present a unified front that can get us back to where we need to be:
"Let our Coach COACH FOOTBALL!!!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema