• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators Recruiting 2024 Discussion

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This thread probably due for an "update"--ESPECIALLY after the last few days...First with once-upon-a-time 2025 Commit Austin Simmins suddenly flipping to Ol' Miss (after teasing us all with public murmerings about moving to qualify and begin playing here at UF for the 2023 seaon!), quickly followed by Napier and Co. "flipping the script" and signing FOUR TOP PROSPECTS the same week! Now there appear to be at least three more on the "imminent watch" list.
ON3 already now has us with the number three class in '23; Don't know what to make of the whole Simmons thing and our general hassle at QB (with the exception of Lagway, the best of them all, of course).
I swear: if it weren't for the subsequent "huge rally" on the recruiting trail, this post would have likely been another hand-wringing session about the overall decay of college football in the age of the "transfer portal" and "NIL". Fortunately, all the rest arriving on its heels has dampened the disappointment.
I had already come to accept the idea that we'd be depending on a steady Mertz, a strong RB room, and a much-improved defense to perhaps surprise the so-called experts (and maybe a lot of pessimistic Gator fans too!) in 2023--dire schedule and all. Then we'd be entering the "D J Lagway Era", and with one more strong recruiting cycle the following year be fully back.
More than ever we could be excused for going with that outlook now...Not exactly "without doubts", but at least now with a certain amount of nascent HOPE.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PS ...What continues to vex me of course is the way the online CFB community (even to some extent among our own fans) continue to be ALL OVER THE PLACE when it comes to UF, Napier and our supposed "confusion and inconsistency" at recruiting and team-building.
A search on YouTube under the topic "Florida Gator Football" early this morning immediately produced FIVE COMPLETELY CONTRADICTIVE HEADLINES and analyses from a wide range of sources (mostly "the usual suspects": Damn, I can't believe I used to like and respect Paul Finebaum!).
All we can actually DO of course is somehow just "grin and bear it": The recent slew of mostly great news is at the very least promising--but we should have learned the patience and calm of "the long view" by now anyway...
Of course it's good news, overdue payoff for hard work, a sustained and calculated effort. It ain't over--and hopefully only another step on the long road BACK. On the positive side, I currently am leaning towards a dawning expectation of us doing a little more with the coming season's difficult schedule than these same "experts" have been giving us anyway. I won't pick a number yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we did a LITTLE better than that "5.5 to 6.5 wins" the pundits and odds-makers are giving us. But no matter what, it is 2024 where I think we'll begin to make our marks once more at the top of those lists.
For now, we are still in "rebuild mode" with respect to our place in the public's perceptions, and I see no reason to make a whole lot of noise outside our own territory...Long as we continue to grab the attention (and our share of elite talent) from among the young players, their families and coaches, things should continue to grow and develop in the right direction.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not sure WHERE to put up this one--but for what it's worth it ought to go in some "EXTREME WTF-CATEGORY"!!!:
Was winding down on a Saturday night, decided to check on the latest online Gator recruiting news before dozing off (that was my intention at any rate--that is right out the window now...).
Was scanning the various headlines before diving into any particular site when I came across this outrageously disturbing one from some Tennessee guy whose YouTube site I've never come across before...Supposedly put up just a couple of hours ago, this troll claims that DJ LAGWAY IS AT THIS MOMENT IN SERIOUS DISCUSSION WITH DABO & CO. ABOUT FLIPPING TO CLEMSEN!!!
Yup. Right beside a recent Gator Breakdown installment about "another hot weekend in recuiting for Billy", and just down from the Locked On Gators latest about the idea "What if DJ starts for us his freshman year?", here's this guy flying this "hot tip" that he says "has Gators in full PANIC mode!".
Now, unless everything else we've been hearing about DJ, he and his family's full on LOVE for UF, Napier and his staff and the city of Gainesville, along with how long and hard he has been working the recruiting trail on his "future team's" behalf all turns out to be complete BS, this comes totally OUT OF THE BLUE at this point--And by the way: If it turned out to have even ONE IOTA of truth in it, you're DAMN RIGHT WE'D BE IN PANIC MODE"!
I mean, we've taken enough of our share in "hits" at QB lately already...The only reason we have been able to tell ourselves that we MAY have landed on our feet in spite of all that is
(1) We have come back strong in virtually every category of recruiting over the weeks SINCE, and
(2) That includes most of all at QUARTERBACK, where we grabbed the consensus #1 QB in the 2024 class in DJ Lagway himself!
By now I was pretty well as comfortable as it is possible to be at this point, given the uncertain state of college football now with NIL and all--especially after all we've been through this off season.
The more I think and talk about it here and now (I just read about it moments ago, after all), the more I tend to keep around to the idea that this IS all just "Troll BS" after all...I cannot find ANYTHING ELSE about it so far anywhere ELSE out there.
Still, I suppose I am waiting, hoping that anyone else who hears about this an and will follow up through THEIR channels and efforts and help to squash this as fast as possible for the empty trolling that we re all hoping and assuming that it must be.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I just went on a bit of a "worried rant" over on "Gator Recruiting Class 2024"...
I am NOT going to repeat any of it or even further refer to it than this, because I SUSOECT it amputs to "trolling BS" from a Tennessee idiot..
But until I am fully convinced that is the case, I admit to being concerned at stumbling upon it late on a Saturday night, nonetheless.
In the meantime, I invite you all to find out what you can, and (hopefully) TEAR IT APART!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
More than a day later and I haven't heard another word about the supposed "DJ Lagway ready to flip to Clemsen" crap...so I am ready to just chalk it up to complete BS and move on.
Even the Tennessee guy who posted it on his YouTube site hasn't said anything further about it; he's simply moved on to other, more Vols-oriented stuff. Screw it--and SCREW HIM.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
On another (albeit tangentially related) subject, the latest "sudden wild rumor" lately floating online concerns the supposed possible movement of Lane Kiffen from Ol' Miss over to Auburn as Head Coach...Of course, among the many potentially hilarious over and undertones to such a move (especially to Gator fans) has to be its potential "smack upside the head" to Austin Simmons and his dad:
"How secure is that future looking NOW, fellas?
This is why maybe 'honor' and 'straight talk' may still have value after all."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This 2024 class is really shaping up!
Now 2025 is starting to stir as well...
Billy is getting it DONE: We are finally gaining traction out there on The Road--and the CFB World is taking notice!
Not that I really CARE what all these "fans and fools" online have to say about us--except insofar as the degree to which all that affects how comfortable Coach, staff and team are feeling and are likewise able to continue operating out there...
Our continued "upward trend" and seeming drive toward its eventual full-on realization is all that really matters now. We may not see its solid, steady return fully manifest until NEXT season, at the earliest.
And maybe not anywhere near FULLY yet by THEN...
What's important, however, is that WE keep going, that WE "keep the faith" with Coach, team and family...That WE keep going.
"Don't. Back. Down."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
By the way: I inadvertently ran across ESPN's replay of the "Orange and Blue Game" from earlier this year earlier this evening...Didn't mean to watch again, but they were apparently running through a number of various such SEC teams' games, so though I'd already missed much of the first half, having stumbled upon it I then watched the rest.
And MAN: We really DID look weak on offense--especially of course at QB! I mean, I wanna trust Billy's judgement, and DO--all the more after all we've witnessed of his culture-shifting and TEAM-building on campus and on the recruiting trail these past few months...but I'd frankly forgotten, or at least allowed to FADE, the bland mediocrity we saw from BOTH "former prospect-cum-transfers", Mertz AND Miller, we witnessed in the spring game. Indeed, after it was over (and given the little we saw of Brown hinted at more than either of the supposed "competing pending starters", I went and called up as much recent footage of Max Brown's work with the offense over the course of time since--and I cannot help but wonder, with others, if we shouldn't be giving him a very real chance to at least have a shot at being the BACKUP. "just in case", this coming season.
Don't get me wrong: I am still assuming my (if anything, GROWING) trust in Coach B warrants at least continued HOPE that in fact Mertz will turn out to be the reliably efficient "Field General" running a relentless ground-based offense, with sudden flashes of explosiveness through the air. But it'd still be nice to have something its complete reverse available on the sideline (and the OTHER guy, the one from OSU, looks a bit too much like a version of Mertz that has already more or less done everything but flunk HIS opportunity here.
I doubt Coach is counting on DJ being ready to start here right out of the gate in 2024; I mean, great if that turns out to be doable, I suppose, but it being REQUIRED is not ideal. A moderately successful starter leading us to an entertainingly positive win/loss record in 2023, giving time and room for Lagway to develop and grow into the.role of Gator Starter/Leader/FUTURE would clearly be preferable.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...Meanwhile, SEC Media Days has rushed upon us. Our Coach had HIS moment in the spotlight yesterday--and perhaps less interesting than his actual comments (Talk about "bland Coach-speak"! This was hardly the same dynamic, outspoken guy we've seen so far back in Gainesville...) has been some of the public reaction surfacing thus far--albeit just over night.
One Ol' Miss online commentator has pronounced him "a loser" overall. Given our recent history with that school's Coach's recent statements and antics vis-a-vis Florida I cannot help but take this with somewhat of a grain of salt; however, as I have already conceded, Billy didn't exactly dazzle attendees with his rhetoric. In truth he mainly sounded a quietly careful if respectful note, to my ears. I'm not sure what it indicates, but I suppose I'd like to THINK that he is mainly concerned with "keeping things real at home", even "circling the wagons" to some extent, in hopes of making anticipated "incremental improvement" mainly acceptable at least for THIS year. I'd love to see us do a little better than that, maybe catch an extra couple of wins here and there along the way that surprise all the "experts" out there and helps to quiet even potential nay-sayers at home.
But, all in all, let's face it: 2023 is NOT likely to be the "Year of the Gator Return to the Top"--and Billy knows that. At best, we will show some sure signs of "what is to come". He and his staff are aiming at 2024 and beyond to make good on whatever "Promise" is inherent in all their plans and hard work so far. They know that today's fans are not a patient bunch; they've been promised time by UF's "powers that be" (beginning with Billy himself's hiring), but this program was in a pretty deep hole, and it's only been a YEAR, after all. Things are changing: there's already a completely new and rebuilt foundation, and many of the required materials for elite success are being assembled on site, even as we speak.
Billy & Co., their team and program are now playing for time while they complete the "rebuild/PREbuild" then turn to full on WINNING as soon as possible AFTER THAT.
WHEN, exactly? Well, that's the inevitable "million dollar question", isn't it? What do y'all think?
When do you think is the SOONEST we will at least challenge for inclusion in the coming 12-team playoff?
Personally, I can't really say for sure myself until I see how things go THIS season--both on the field AND on the recruiting trail. I have some "feelings" about it all--but I'll wait to hear yours before sharing my own in response.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
All one has to do to recognize all the QUESTIONS surrounding our program is simply to note the dates of "recent entries" here...
To wit: After weeks of GOOD news up to and including the penultimate one above (Oct. 21), there is a near 6-week gap, then yesterday's single addition.
The story that would fill that "gap" is one that follows what amounts to the accelerated downfall of the current Gator Football team.
"TOO little, too late", I fear.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
At this point, my emotions are torn between ongoing disappointment (and fear at what appears to be "pending"!) on the one hand, and at the same time a certain "mounting resentment" (along the lines of "Good RIDDANCE!" and "Don't let the door hit you in the ASS!") with respect to how we will henceforth judge and turn AWAY from these "former stars" and their "Always a GATOR!" Kiss-off on their way OUT that door...

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
At this point, my emotions are torn between ongoing disappointment (and fear at what appears to be "pending"!) on the one hand, and at the same time a certain "mounting resentment" (along the lines of "Good RIDDANCE!" and "Don't let the door hit you in the ASS!") with respect to how we will henceforth judge and turn AWAY from these "former stars" and their "Always a GATOR!" Kiss-off on their way OUT that door...
Yep. If college football is turning into “NFL light”, then I might not be a college football fan for much longer. I used to get single tickets to Florida vs FSU for $150 just this year. The tickets for Florida vs Texas have not been released yet but it will probably go for $600.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yep. If college football is turning into “NFL light”, then I might not be a college football fan for much longer. I used to get single tickets to Florida vs FSU for $150 just this year. The tickets for Florida vs Texas have not been released yet but it will probably go for $600.
Yes. The same thought has occurred to me more than once of late.
And of course, that "NFL Light" sobrique
isn't just limited to the prices, but much more reflected in the ATTITUDE that has so quickly come to be found in these players on the heels of all the RULES-changes!
We feared this exact effect...and man, we are GETTING it--"in SPADES", as they say.
It seems it is even lately affecting things like stadium-renovation decisions, for example, where fan-capacity and comfort are suddenly a less-important consideration than catering to high-ticket high-rollers--just like with professional teams and THEIR facilities.
I have been more and more considering making a declaration similar to yours myself, that I "might not be a college football fan much longer"--not so long ago for me an UNTHINKABLE thought--should the trend continue...
You got here first.
I hate (and hence hesitated THIS long) saying it, especially while still at the stage of wondering if it would really come to that. But things have come so far so fast--for college football in general and our GATOR program in particular--well, obviously we have reached a near-unimaginable low, and it is always dangerous to make large decisions (not to mention public announcements heralding them) too quickly in reflexive fashion.
I am still left wondering if I would feel so strongly about all this if our team, program and current fortunes weren't at such a low ebb.
It is going to be a long road back for us.
I am no longer sure I have the strength, the patience--or enough faith in any PART of the components that together comprise Gator Football, to see US "SEE it THROUGH"!

Escambia94

One week until National Signing Day.
Player
DL LJ McCray Mainland (Daytona Beach, FL) 6-6 / 320 0.9721 57 10 10 Commit 10/21/2023
QB DJ Lagway Willis (Willis, TX) 6-2 / 225 0.9889 22 3 5 Commit 12/7/2022
S Xavier Filsaime McKinney (McKinney, TX) 6-1 / 180 0.9841 32 2 8 Commit 4/13/2023
(Flipped to Texas 12/18/2023)
LB Adarius Hayes Largo (Largo, FL)6-4 / 210 0.9738 51 4 9 Commit 1/28/2023
LB Myles Graham Woodward Academy (Atlanta, GA) 6-1 / 212 0.9725 53 5 9 Commit 8/14/2022
EDGE Jamonta Waller Picayune Memorial (Picayune, MS) 6-2 / 225 0.9620 71 7 2 Commit 6/19/2023
LB Aaron Chiles Our Lady Good Counsel HS (Olney, MD) 6-3 / 220 0.9594 80 6 1 Commit 6/17/2023
ATH Amir Jackson Portal (Portal, GA) 6-4 / 223 0.9477 108 8 17 Commit 6/17/2023
DL Amaris Williams Clinton (Clinton, NC) 6-3 / 270 0.9283 186 23 4 Commit 6/17/2023
WR Jerrae Hawkins IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) 5-9 / 165 0.9173 229 35 35 Commit 6/26/2023
WR Tawaski Abrams Dunbar (Fort Myers, FL) 5-11 / 175 90 298 43 40 Commit 7/18/2023
DL Nasir Johnson Dublin (Dublin, GA) 6-4.5 / 300 0.9141 249 30 32 Commit 6/17/2023
OT Fletcher Westphal Tuscarora (Leesburg, VA) 6-8 / 335 90 247 20 6 Commit 7/10/2023
WR Izaiah Williams Carrollwood Day (Tampa, FL) 6-0 / 172 0.9014 328 51 51 Commit 5/5/2023
DL Kendall Jackson F. W. Buchholz (Gainesville, FL) 6-4 / 250 89 389 36 54 Commit 7/12/2023
RB Kahnen Daniels West Point (West Point, MS) 5-11 / 190 0.8995 337 29 10 Commit 4/10/2023
S Josiah Davis Berrien (Nashville, GA) 6-1 / 185 0.8853 515 51 60 Commit 3/27/2023
OT Marcus Mascoll South Gwinnett (Snellville, GA) 6-4.5 / 292 0.8759 669 51 83 Commit 6/19/2023
DL Michai Boireau Creekside (Fairburn, GA) 6-5 / 390 0.8619 1000 97 113 Commit 6/19/2023
OT Mike Williams Charles Herbert Flowers (Upper Marlboro, MD) 6-7 / 310 0.8411 NA 112 37 Commit 6/12/2023
CB Teddy Foster Cardinal Mooney (Sarasota, FL) 6-2 / 170 0.8726 788 63 111 Commit 7/14/2023
IOL Noel Portnjagin Germany (Germany, GERM) 6-5 / 334 NA NA NA NA Commit 6/14/2023

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Goodmorning, E--...
1 week to go.
At this point, my fingers are so crossed that I may NEVER be able to straighten them again!

Escambia94

The Gators have one last chance to win over the following recruits this weekend:
JUCO offensive lineman Maurice Rodrigues --> Texas Tech
San Diego State offensive lineman Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson --> Florida

Texas A&M safety Jardin Gilbert --> LSU
JUCO defensive lineman Malcolm Alcorn-Crowder --> Kansas State

End of list. Yeah. Napier is not doing so well in the transfer portal.

Last edited:

Escambia94

Top flips to watch out for on ESD:
  • LJ MCray - DL 6-6 260 Mainland, Daytona Beach, FL 0.9838
  • Xavier Filsaime - S 6-1 180 McKinney, McKinney, TX 0.9856 —> flipped to Texas 12/18/2023.
  • Zavier Mincey - S 6-3 180 Mainland, Daytona Beach, FL 0.9780 (January 6 announcement)
  • Amaris Williams - DL 6-3 270 Clinton, Clinton, NC 0.9595 --> Auburn
  • Gregory Smith III - 6-4 200 - Sumner, Riverview, FL 0.8849 --> Florida
  • Malcolm Alcorn-Crowder - DL 6-6 297 Butler CC - Whitman Hanson Regional, Whitman, MA 0.8678 --> Kansas State
  • Jameer Grimsley - ATH 6-3 185 Tampa Bay Catholic, Tampa, FL 0.9244 (Alabama)
  • Jadan Baugh - ATH 6-0.5 214 Columbia, Decatur, GA 0.8967 (Arkansas) --> Florida

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Gators have one last chance to win over the following recruits this weekend:
JUCO offensive lineman Maurice Rodrigues
San Diego State offensive lineman Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson
Texas A&M safety Jardin Gilbert
JUCO defensive lineman Malcolm Alcorn-Crowder

End of list. Yeah. Napier is not doing so well
Adding your subsequent "Flip-Warning" list above, I'd say he was currently failing on BOTH fronts, wouldn't you?
ESD is not looking like a celebratory day for us at this point. Maybe if you had been a better GAME- Coach, Billy, found a way to hold the lead late in a couple of those last few games, this all would have gone a little differently.
I don't like the "desertion of honor" we've seen from both commits and scholarship players here lately, but that's the world we live in now: No one wants to be associated with a "loser", and you sure as HELL have given us that aroma, Mr. Napier!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema