• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators lose to UGA - what's wrong with this team?

I think it's a leadership problem, plus the lack of good role players around Calathes. We need to have a complete team not just one star (Calathes) trying to carry the whole team to victory. Even as good as Calathes is he still has his own problems on the court (free throws). Think about it this way though before we got the two championships this is the kind of team and record we were used to and happy with. We got spoiled by the "04's" and now we want better every year. I think we need to get used to this kind of team for a while.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
This team still has the potential. They just don't seem to have the court chemistry when it's needed most. The end of the ga game was foreshadowed by erratic play that I attribute to a hangover from the previous loss. The undisciplined handeling of those final seconds by a freshman that in High School may have been a "go-to" guy should never have happened. Another coaching misstep in the critical closing moments of a game? Or players foundering w/out leadership as stated above. I'm still holding out hope that they will find their identity as a team and perform at a level we have become accustomed to seeing from our Gators and pull through .

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I'm wondering just how much the Jai Lucas transfer has impacted this team. GF#1 is right; Nick Calathes just can't burden the whole team on his shoulders. Granted we're a young team, but our upperclassmen, notably Dan Werner, aren't showing the leadership they should be - and add to that the litany of costly turnovers and poor play in the paint that I've seem from Werner way too often this season.

It's foolish to heap the blame solely on the coaches as many fans love to do when times are rough, but they can't be made the scapegoats. Coaches can only do so much; just like in football, these kids can only have their hand held for so long and then school's out. They need to perforn up to expectations and notthing less than that.

There was no excuse for that loss on Saturday to Georgia in Athens, just there was noone in Columbia that night we lost to South Carolina.

Hopefully in 2009-10 there are reinforcements ocming in with new recruits and a transfer from Georgetown who will become eligible (name, anyone?). Until then, we can only hope that we'll slide into the Big Dance by the seat of our pants. Perhaps we've become jaded since the 2005-06 and 2006-07 championship teams, but two NIT appearances in a row won't sit well with much of Gator Nation.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Im anticipating next years team... assuming nobody bolts, we will have a decent team with experience.

As for this year, we need to step up and just win some games. I'm not looking for a huge run in the NCAA Tourney, just a bid.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
For one, our free throw shooters, besides maybe (surprisingly a freshman) Erving Walker suck pretty badly, especially in the clutch. Nick shoots a respectable percentage, somewhere in the low 70's, but for a premier guard, he should be shooting much higher.

Also, this time has no Super Stars. Nick is great but he can't be the only guy, and he isn't really a guy that can take over with his offense or defense by himself like a Meeks.

Besides Calathes, Walker or Tyus, there isn't one current player I would say that is any good this season.

We NEED to get some good post players like we had in Richard, Noah and Horford.

We have two freshman in Kadji and Vargas that may be good one day, but aren't big enough in terms of weight or strong enough to contribute big time right now, and even if they were, it appears Donovan isn't going to give them the time they need to develop this season, especially Vargas.

We also don't seem to have many Clutch players. I think Walker CAN and WILL be one, but he is just a freshman. And Nick, he can be clutch but like Parsons, missed free throws in the clutch.

We need to get better in end game situations if we keep playing close games, or there will be no NCAA Tourney AGAIN this season.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
We will not be a great team with Parsons and Werner both getting plenty of minutes. Billy needs to pick one (Parsons) and go with it.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
We will not be a great team with Parsons and Werner both getting plenty of minutes. Billy needs to pick one (Parsons) and go with it.

While I agree one of them should be on the bench, with the team the way it currently is (Chaney is hurt; Kadji isn't playing defense well enough to start; Vargas not where he needs to be due to being injured and out for the first 11 games), there is no way he takes those two out of the starting lineup.

We will be stuck for this season (unless Kadji magically starts playing really well offensively or actually plays some defense) with a way undersized team that can't rebound consistently (except for Nick) and definitely can't block many shots.

If I need to spell it out...We are W-E-A-K.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
.............. I'm tired of seeing Werner screw up game after game.
He has been a solid player thrughout his career here and still is one of our better players on defense. He does things on the court that do not show up on the stat sheet. I also think that he has been asked to play out of his natural position since he got here. I'm sure the coaches more than anyone value his efforts. The inexperienced bench gives us what we see on the court............

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema