• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Gameday: Vandy

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kinda strange, funny "following" game this way:
Was actually lying here alone with TV off, phone beeping with alerts with text messages from friends around country about game...Figured it was BAD news, didn't look--actually dozed OFF at one point. Finally peeked at msg from a friend ftom college in California I hadn't talked to in a while:
" Wake UP, Dude! Our boys are getting it done IN SPITE OF the shit-coaches!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now we lose Cleveland? He's our only big play receiver. This is looking to be what college taught me is called "A pyric victory": Yes, may well beat Vandy--but NOT have enough left on the field to beat LSU NEXT week. I'd be really relieved to see Cleveland back out there.
(And yes, I'm back. Against my own admittedly superstitious inclinations. We have done considerably BETTER without me watching--and first thing that happens SOON AS I tune in is Cleveland gets rolled up on his ankle, like, hard-to-watch bad.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Tackled our reciever on that 3rd down play (mighta had a better chance with Cleveland in there, Franks coulda thrown it on time LONG)...Between that and that ridiculous double-flag on a clean QB sack deep in their end in 2nd qrtr, we are getting Gator-hosed here at HOME.
STILL feel we may need a big play from our D to actually WIN this one.
PLEASE: PICK 6.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gotta keep this 2 TD lead another 3 min or so. Then they'll start to play into our D's strengths.
Can we just at least have a game where we get to relax and enjoy the last coupla minutes?
Damn. We cannot make the big stop today.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Well no matter what happens because 14 point lead with 5:21 left is no sure win with this team. Mac post game interview will sure contain a “cool” phrase and I’m sure to loose my freaking mind!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This Vanderbilt team is NOT as bad as advertized. And this also warns is: no matter HOW much better they are than what they showed last week, does ANYONE have ANY doubt what'll happen if/when WE face the TIDE???

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Cannot watch this. D can't stop "last ditch" pass after pass. Give up easy TD. Now O-line screws up, then Perrine forgets to fall down before going outta bounds. Then STUPID hold WAY after Perrine past him--game was OVER without that hold.
Now you GO FOR IT, Mac. 4th and 1: Get this win NOW!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So he did (go on 4th and 1), and WE did (WIN--in fact broke it all the way on 4th dn)...But who thinks we are "headed in the right direction"? (Thats what a couple of the ESPN analysts had to say postgame)...
I mean, Luke Del Rio is officially "out for season", Cleveland took that roll-up on his ankle and (tho no word as yet) can't be anything LIKE "100%/Ready to go" next week against LSU, lost ANOTHER DB there late, and meanwhile tho he did a decent job overall, Franks showed his plusses AND minuses in the course of his play today: He's our guy for now, but with our O-line we WILL see Malik at QB before this season goes much further: Between Franks' inexperience/inconsistency and vulnerability back there, one way or the other the backup will be back in.
Yeah, may be "finding a rhythm" in our run-game, but without at the very least a stretch-the-field threat in Cleveland, Malik's run/pass mobility option may be the only way we can keep defenses from just IGNORING the pass option and pretty well DARE us to try anything but run the ball. And we've watched THAT dismal offense fail for YEARS now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well no matter what happens because 14 point lead with 5:21 left is no sure win with this team. Mac post game interview will sure contain a “cool” phrase and I’m sure to loose my freaking mind!!!
Sorry, but I have to laugh. Probably because I've already LOST mine.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Meanwhile, MSU mistaking their way (with a little help from the back judge's quick whistle to take away a defensive TD) to a close-but-no-cigar loss to an Auburn team that just ISN'T "all that", from what I'VE seen here.
And btw: What about those calls against us at HOME today? Sure, we take enough dumb penalties on our own each week it seems (that holding call on a run for 1st down that woulda pretty well killed the clock right there on our closing TD drive, for example--I mean, holding on ANY running play shouldn't happen, but on a crucial play BEHIND THE RUNNER after he HAD the first?!!), but that double flag when we simply sacked their QB deep in their own red zone? No facemask, no roughing, clean "stalk and catch the QB/meet at the QB" defensive-play and BOTH players get personal foul flags? Subsequent drive kept alive there for Vandy--In turn nearly put them back in game. This time our OFFENSE stepped up and overall got, kept the lead and eventually, the win. And that at least showed a crack of light and hope.
Against Vandy, though. We are better than them--shoulda beat em sooner and more authoritatively, but we do keep stepping up lately. Again, though: Along with everything else I could say about all that, main thing I wanna say is, "This ain't about YOU or your coaching, Mac: The 'guts' and tenacity credit goes not to you but these PLAYERS!"--THEY are the ones who are getting it done, at the end of multiple mis-steps in the plan and execution you had them follow to mire them in mediocrity in the first place!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thank you he didn’t say “pretty cool” or reference pop corn.
Yeah, but only reason was because he was politically required to put on his undertaker's face because of the injuries--espec Del Rio's. That IS a sad, unjust one, though.
(At risk of perhaps petty "homer's" attitude, if that DOUBLE flag on the phantom facemask/personal foul on our sackers to THEIR QB late in the 2nd, what does that make that full-on DRIVE-him-into-the -ground play that turns out broke Del Rio's collarbone??? Today's refs reminded me of the Gainesville PD.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
These "Wins" somehow relieve and sicken simultaniously at the end.
It's very like the way I feel after drinking Lonestar while stuffing myself on empty caloried snacks.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Troy beating LSU so far--look like the better team, for real. But Troy IS actually a balanced, well-coached team, annually dangerous at their level of competition--as we well know from our own experience.)
Looks like LSU is curently ANOTHER team we "should" beat--but now will face them with even FEWER of our play-makers than we had coming in THIS week. Sooner or later it will get us beat in a close game.
Look, deep down we all figure the truth will come out in The Cocktail Party, latest...but who-the-f*ck knows?
Tell you this: IF we were to get to Jacksonville with a 4-2 record or better, then somehow BEAT the 'Dogs, well, I WILL promise to lay OFF our Coach and this "Mac/Nuss Monstrosity-of-an-Offense" for a while--maybe even til the end of the reg season.
Unfortunately, that's a pseudo-promise I am NOT likely to be called upon to make good.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Meanwhile, longer that "High draft prospect" RB on Tigers ("Ardin something"?) isn't in there getting reps, let alone making his presence felt, the better it bodes for our chances next Sat...LSU looks almost as weak on offense at the moment as we have until today (and yeah, I know that was against VANDY), and word is he arrived in camp completely out of shape--and still isn't quite there. They look to be thoroughly passive without him--just gotta hope he DOESN'T get rolling til AFTER our game. He is rated by NFL scouts as best RB in next draft, prob 3rd choice in the 1st round, and there are REASONS for all that.
Tigers are 3-1--sorta like OUR "3-1": Not "impressive" (and without the drama). We got em at home thanks to LAST year's hurricane-caused trade-off (remember their "Demands"?). Only reason Troy only up 7 pts at this point is because of mistakes and a weak kicking game (though WHY their coach even WENT for fg is questionable--Seems "everyone knows" that freshman kid kicking for em has "all kinds of problems" at the moment--and a resulting poor avg). Point is, it is OK if LSU wins this--it isn't cause they are GOOD.
I guess similar "take" by them from OUR game today: OK that we won, cause we didn't look so great--and we lost more key guys along the way to the win.
OK OK...Enuff "around the world of college football" here. Even if it is mostly checking/ scouting our next opponent...)

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Here's one of my many problems with coach Mac and probably the one that's gonna kill us. He running this football program on a play to keep my job script. This is bad for business folks. He gets mad because Davis breaks up through the middle with nothing between him and the end zone and doesn't go down. All with 1:42 left and Vandy has no times out. This shows you have no confidence in your team and shows weakness. This was a big play by the offense and this true freshman and he turns it a moment of weakness. I would certainly understand if a fieldgoal bests us but a 14 point lead with no time outs and a 1:42sec left give me a freaking break. I really dislike him as a coach..........

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here's one of my many problems with coach Mac and probably the one that's gonna kill us. He running this football program on a play to keep my job script. This is bad for business folks. He gets mad because Davis breaks up through the middle with nothing between him and the end zone and doesn't go down. All with 1:42 left and Vandy has no times out. This shows you have no confidence in your team and shows weakness. This was a big play by the offense and this true freshman and he turns it a moment of weakness. I would certainly understand if a fieldgoal bests us but a 14 point lead with no time outs and a 1:42sec left give me a freaking break. I really dislike him as a coach..........
Yes. You have hit the bottom line truth.
I too see it that way, unfortunately. You mention just ONE example (and one I noted TOO at the time: "Coach--Where are your priorities? Wake UP!" A LOTTA poor decisions, mistakes in the clutch by both players and coaches behind them; for eg, How often do penalties screw up, negate key plays at the worst poss moment?).
Unfortunatly, the "image" of our Coach IS being resuscitated by the wins--so he is and will continue to ride that "play-not-to-lose", "coach-to-keep-my-job" approach (one thing he appears to be really good at)--in the long run only delaying the inevitable, and in so doing, dig a deeper, more difficult and time-consuming job for the NEXT guy to dig us OUT of it.
And the media's dumbass/ignorant analyses only deepen most fans' shallow view of where we're really at (and hence our fearful, money- and fan-conscious "braintrust" behind any decision regarding replacing our headcoach themselves unable to even consider action--only HOPE things get better).
So for the time being, realistically, I figure what we really "eventually will do, HAVE TO do" won't be done--won't even be discussed in most circles...We won't get to begin what I believe will by then require a long and massive clean-up, break-down-and-rebuild process for our program.
I have said elsewhere here that the one thing that MIGHT well short-circuit that long term prognosis would be if we found/had/brought IN one of these "get-on-my-back-and-ride-ME" guys that have surfaced here and there around the college football nation of late. But there's so little to be done to help THAT happen, and unless he's already here or somehow on our radar, well, not real likely...
We're NOT that far from being viable RIGHT NOW--but the window is small and closing--and THIS Coach and staff aren't heading the right way, least not anything LIKE "fast-enough".
In other words, imho, without some long odds "shot-in-the-dark" kid-outta-nowhere, little is likely to save us from slow death now: We face at some point an obvious, bottom-falls-out collapse that EVERYONE recognizes. THEN they'll be howling for his head--and by then our program facing YEARS of hardcore patience where we HOPE we got "the RIGHT guy" while we give him time to undo the damage and decay.
So we are left with PRAYING that things DO break our way somehow--and that is pretty well a desperate situation: Where luck seems the only thing that can save us.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema