• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 5: #20 Florida Gators vs Kentucky Wildcats

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
Brent Pease should also be looking at our opponent next week sticking with Texas A&M. Now would be a good time to throw the ball, put your foot on the gas, and not let up until the game is over.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
just heard the quote from the announcer on Pease saying he isn't going to "ask too much" from Murphy and "we need to keep the passes short". WTF, are you serious? He is a QB at the UF, give him the keys and stop holding back our playcalling.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
the one thing we are doing good in this game is letting Murphy pass, and that is the only thing that is not happening with our playcalling. I'm all for the firebrentpease.com, we are not Boise St playing subpar competition, that shit will not fly with our schedule after this game

it's bad enough that he ruined our starter, but now he is taking away the glimmer of hope we saw in Murphy.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've been watching the game, but just got to a computer.

Why the f*** are we doing these stupid ass play calling? It seems like the options, screens, short passes to the flats, are doing NOTHING. Yet when Murphy has to throw vertically up the field, he does it VERY WELL.

Brent Pease needs to go, our play calling will be the our worse enemy. Murphy is a good QB and can throw under pressure, on the run, makes his checks, and uses his legs when needed. All while being smart and not taking hits or running to the sideline. WTF is our playcalling so shit?

(First really bad decision by Murphy, that interception--and may have just slipped out wrong: He wanted it back IMMEDIATELY!--looked like JD out there for a moment--and let's 'em back in the game--We were on the VERGE of putting this away, and now they are in position to get back in it: OK, here's where the D earns it's already hard-won place--YES!!! Hargraves picks it off in the end zone!!! Uh HUH!! WHEW!)
What I WAS gonna say here, NG, was that you are right--I tried to warn about this early on here, back in the first quarter when we first got the lead after our "longest drive of the year"--and in fact even before that, back before Kick-off: The "Run, run run!/shorten-the-game" approach that they would come in with, predictably, was a "loser's mentality" against THIS opponent--just gives an inferior team a chance to play us close, and that's what's ensued...THIS was a time to begin to develop Murphy AND the offense's on-field repertoire of experience with a more wide-open attack--and incidentally put a whole lots of uncertainty in the minds of our future opponents--where we WILL have better reason for the "clutch-&-hold" offense, shorten the game and let the defense hold a lead.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
(First really bad decision by Murphy, that interception--and may have just slipped out wrong: He wanted it back IMMEDIATELY!--looked like JD out there for a moment--and let's 'em back in the game--We were on the VERGE of putting this away, and now they are in position to get back in it: OK, here's where the D earns it's already hard-won place--YES!!! Hargraves picks it off in the end zone!!! Uh HUH!! WHEW!)
What I WAS gonna say here, NG, was that you are right--I tried to warn about this early on here, back in the first quarter when we first got the lead after our "longest drive of the year"--and in fact even before that, back before Kick-off: The "Run, run run!/shorten-the-game" approach that they would come in with, predictably, was a "loser's mentality" against THIS opponent--just gives an inferior team a chance to play us close, and that's what's ensued...THIS was a time to begin to develop Murphy AND the offense's on-field repertoire of experience with a more wide-open attack--and incidentally put a whole lots of uncertainty in the minds of our future opponents--where we WILL have better reason for the "clutch-&-hold" offense, shorten the game and let the defense hold a lead.

I completely agree.

we just ran 6 run up the middle plays IN A FUCKING ROW.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
the one thing we are doing good in this game is letting Murphy pass, and that is the only thing that is not happening with our playcalling. I'm all for the firebrentpease.com, we are not Boise St playing subpar competition, that shit will not fly with our schedule after this game

it's bad enough that he ruined our starter, but now he is taking away the glimmer of hope we saw in Murphy.

I'm wondering how much a part he was of Boise's imaginative and flexible game-planning and on-game adjustment and play-calling...Like everyone else, I just accepted the "common wisdom" that we were bringing in a QB developer/mentor who'd been a key part of that successfully innovative , wide open BCS-busting offense. Wa that really the case, or did some of that just run-off by proximity? He was only the actual OC there for a year, as HIS "mentor" left and he moved up BEFORE coming over to the Gators...Here's another try for 3, and...Good. Finally.
Still, we have dominated, and it isn't really up on the scoreboard yet--and would be worse were it not for our D, of course.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
I'm wondering how much a part he was of Boise's imaginative and flexible game-planning and on-game adjustment and play-calling...Like everyone else, I just accepted the "common wisdom" that we were bringing in a QB developer/mentor who'd been a key part of that successfully innovative , wide open BCS-busting offense. Wa that really the case, or did some of that just run-off by proximity? He was only the actual OC there for a year, as HIS "mentor" left and he moved up BEFORE coming over to the Gators...Here's another try for 3, and...Good. Finally.
Still, we have dominated, and it isn't really up on the scoreboard yet--and would be worse were it not for our D, of course.
either way, we are "competing" with a bottom dwelling SEC team because of our play calling. How do you even think of a read-option QB run on 3rd and 11? If I was Muschamp, I would pull Pease out of the booth and put him on the sideline.

I'm sick of seeing UGA, LSU, 'BAMA, and every other ranked team throwing for 200/300 yards per game while also running for 100+. We have the talent, the only OBVIOUSLY NOTICEABLE factor is our shit playcalling.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
well, we "survived" another game. i guess this is what can be expected when our playcalling does not favor innovation or unpredictability. i think brent pease will be our undoing, which will be easy to blame on driskle and/or murphy. funny how we have a different QB yet our offense still looks like shit.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yep--as someone else put it, "No reason for this mundane play-calling". Nope--ANY decent General will tell you, "Taking counsel from your fears will only GET you beat", or,as Patton put it. "We're not here to hold ground--We're here to TAKE ground, to move forward and destroy the enemy!" That's what offense is, what WINS big games, what HAS to be at least a PART of your plans to figure in ANY Championship--and we should just stop and consider (especially all those who think I'm being ungrateful and unreasonable): Think of where we could be, where we might be headed, if this offense DID take an OFFENSIVE Approach, WENT for it, actually tried to score points and NOT just mostly "hold ground". As you note, NG, even tho' there've been some glaring misses in recruiting on thsat side of the ball, STILL enough talent here to do a WHOLE lot more just with a change in ATTITUDE by the OC and how that manifests on the field IN GAMES. WE ARE HOLDING OURSELVES BACK--and going to slouch and tiptoe our way to underachievement and mediocrity.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yep--as someone else put it, "No reason for this mundane play-calling". Nope--ANY decent General will tell you, "Taking counsel from your fears will only GET you beat", or,as Patton put it. "We're not here to hold ground--We're here to TAKE ground, to move forward and destroy the enemy!" That's what offense is, what WINS big games, what HAS to be at least a PART of your plans to figure in ANY Championship--and we should just stop and consider (especially all those who think I'm being ungrateful and unreasonable): Think of where we could be, where we might be headed, if this offense DID take an OFFENSIVE Approach, WENT for it, actually tried to score points and NOT just mostly "hold ground". As you note, NG, even tho' there've been some glaring misses in recruiting on thsat side of the ball, STILL enough talent here to do a WHOLE lot more just with a change in ATTITUDE by the OC and how that manifests on the field IN GAMES. WE ARE HOLDING OURSELVES BACK--and going to slouch and tiptoe our way to underachievement and mediocrity.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Well guys I just got home , this is going to be a little long and probably a lot of run on sentences but here goes. The atmosphere was pretty good , most the ky fans were nice and not arrogant pukes ( that comes basketball season for them). Our seats were four rows behind the Florida cheerleaders on about the five yard line. Also driskels gf the cheerleader is really really hot lol. Two rows in front of me a ky fan and Florida fan were getting into it thought they were going to fight but didn't. Then about ten minutes later to ky fans are talking shit to each other about to throw but some guy steps in they hug later lmao. On to the game I was a little nervous , but Iaalways get that way afraid were going to lose. The first drive was good I thought Murphy was doing great and the offense was flowing. The fake fg I turned and looked at my mom and said I think their going to fake it and I be damned if they don't and score, I really didn't think their kicker had the leg. The Murphy interception I was like damm that was driskel throw but he did a good job chasing him down. About five minutes before the players came out from halftime some coaches walked out and chris leak came towards the gators section and threw a awesome fist pump, the ky fan sitting next to me said that is Chris leak lol. The best plays that really got the Florida fans pumped was the huge run by Jones, the Gorman big hit( there will be a little more to that in a bit). the Hargreaves interception I was watching the qb's eyes and yelled that's you heargraves and he makes the pick almost rt in front of me. So as the game is winding down in the fourth me and my son move down to the barrier as the team makes their way to the band, a guy in Florida jersey is standing by us he has crofoot on the back , I said are you crofoots father he says yes and I shook his hand and said nice to meet you sir, he was very nice and his wife also. I got a good picture of crofoot as he comes over to speak to them. Then after they wrap it up Gorman and Powell run by giving us high fives , I yelled that away Powell and when I slapped gormans hand I said hell of a hit gorman lol, he just sorda grinned and kept high fiving everyone. It was fun and my son even got compliments from the ky fans on his hat. I will try to upload some pics and the videos eventually. Embarrassing moment when they show Georgia beat LSU my mom jumps up and starts yelling go dawgs , yes my mother is a die hard Georgia fan but I still love her.

awebbf5

VIP Member
IMG_20130928_215329_024.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130928_215159_036.jpg
    IMG_20130928_215159_036.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20130928_201800_396.jpg
    IMG_20130928_201800_396.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20130928_195348_580.jpg
    IMG_20130928_195348_580.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20130928_200821_884.jpg
    IMG_20130928_200821_884.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20130928_210257_324.jpg
    IMG_20130928_210257_324.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20130928_190317_506.jpg
    IMG_20130928_190317_506.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20130928_210119_313.jpg
    IMG_20130928_210119_313.jpg
    882.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20130928_193843_256.jpg
    IMG_20130928_193843_256.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20130928_215202_597.jpg
    IMG_20130928_215202_597.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 218

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@awebbf5,
Aw MAN, that is one of the best posts/series of pics'n'posts EVER--at least since I've been here. Just really enjoyed/got a real slice'o'life FEEL for your roadtrip AND the game, at least from Y'ALL's P.O.V. Thankyou: And that's from me as a person and a Gator fan, not just as a rep for GE. Just a superb deal all around.
(PS LOVE the hat, and of course your son wears it well, a great, cute kid--but you know that already...HILARIOUS 'bout yr mom!!!)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Thanks for sharing the pictures @awebbf5!

On another note, who gets the Most Valuable Gator (MVG) award? Tyler Murphy went 15/18 for 156 yards 1 td 1 int for a passer rating of 164 and a QBR of 92 (5th in the nation this week). Matt Jones showed that he is healthy again by running for a career high 176 yards on 26 carries. Dante Fowler decapitated a few Wildcats, made five tackles, and back-to-back sacks in relief of Dominique Easley (after inheriting Dominique's Chuckie doll). A case could also be made for Vernon Hargreaves III for locking down his half of the field and erasing Murphy's interception with one of his own on the next play.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Your welcome guys. @DRU2012 thanks man , my son really got into the game i was proud lol. As far as a road trip it wasnt really road trip travel wise, cause i live fifteen minutes from commonwealth stadium, but as far as a road trip being with a different teams fans i have to say the ky fans were pretty nice last night. Trey burton looks huge in real life. Funny notes I forgot to add were the ky fans said damn Burton kills us every year and they also said we would have been better of if driskel wouldn't have got hurt lol. Also during the playing of my old ky home a Kentucky fan said how do you know the words I replied I am from here and he said and your a gator fan? I replied with my story of at age five my uncle brought me here to cheer the cats but I chomped that day and have ever since lol.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
Thanks for sharing the pictures @awebbf5!

On another note, who gets the Most Valuable Gator (MVG) award? Tyler Murphy went 15/18 for 156 yards 1 td 1 int for a passer rating of 164 and a QBR of 92 (5th in the nation this week). Matt Jones showed that he is healthy again by running for a career high 176 yards on 26 carries. Dante Fowler decapitated a few Wildcats, made five tackles, and back-to-back sacks in relief of Dominique Easley (after inheriting Dominique's Chuckie doll). A case could also be made for Vernon Hargreaves III for locking down his half of the field and erasing Murphy's interception with one of his own on the next play.
i think Dante Fowler should get it, especially in the absence of Easley, he proved that our "man down, man up" philosophy will be successful.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
i think Dante Fowler should get it, especially in the absence of Easley, he proved that our "man down, man up" philosophy will be successful.
Lots of kudos to go around--and both Tyler AND Dante are neck'n'neck, both deserving, for very similar reasons--but Tyler was the surprise/relief in that vein last week (continuing to get it done and THEN some this time), while last night it was Dante who stepped in and stepped UP. He's different in style and approach than Dominique--and I wish to HELL we had 'em BOTH out there (more than any of us would say 'bout JD,..., sorry, but it was just about time to sit him down ANYWAY--which never would have happened here)--but he did appear to seamlessly absorb and call the defensive signals and generally QB that defense, something that, in addition to his fine play itself, was absolutely necessary for our success out there (and frankly was my biggest concern: I was SURE there'd be more breakdowns like the ones we saw a number of in the 2nd half LAST week, likely resulting in a couple of keep-it-close TDs).
Now we know we HAVE a defensive signal-caller out there AFTER all, and we were already well aware of his talent, so it'll be my hope that it's Tyler who "surprises" us, continues to show more and more talent and poise that was somehow missed, or at least overlooked by EVERYONE (especially the fans--but we aren't at practices, etc., and can only go by how the COACHES rank, position and use these kids in order to rate them ourselves. It has all the makings of one HELLUVA story--but plot is about to thicken with "the meat" of the SEC schedule.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema