• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites - FLA vs FSU

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
In warfare parlance, we know the enemy "order of battle", we know our own order of battle, and we know both sides' tactics, techniques, and procedures. The defense needs to zero in on the Nole center of gravity, which is EJ Manuel. We need to protect our crown jewels, which are Gilly and Driskel. We cannot control the crappy officiating.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
In warfare parlance, we know the enemy "order of battle", we know our own order of battle, and we know both sides' tactics, techniques, and procedures. The defense needs to zero in on the Nole center of gravity, which is EJ Manuel. We need to protect our crown jewels, which are Gilly and Driskel. We cannot control the crappy officiating.
Carrying this theme further:
There is a 'Nole "center of gravity" on defense as well--that German kid, and we must specifically account for and zero in on HIM on offense if we are to have a better chance of preventing the kind of "hero creation" we managed with Jarvis and the UGA defense in J-ville. He is aggressive, so tactically you USE that, trap them: lure him into leading that side of their "D" into over-pursuit...then, in such an attack's 2nd-phase, once we have them "on their heels", GUESSING what we're going to do next (and/or even better, once their COACHES actually pull them back, "call off the dogs" and go to a more conservative "wait, THEN read and react" defense), we can begin to dictate the pace and flow of the game. If we can put them in the position of "Can't pack-the-box without getting burnt long, take OUT the extra men-in-the-middle but hesitate to over-commit, to the rush OR to coverage", we have them. The details of such a tactical "order of battle" for our "air-supported strike troops" (ie. ground offense with liberal use of the long and medium pass early and often, then again every time they begin to "come out of their holes", beginning to "cheat" again on our running game) are of course in the hands of our OC, a brilliant tactician on offense himself, btw--just as actually pulling it OFF is on the coaches and the PLAYERS...Now, though I happen to fear that waiting to unveil such plans (having been designed and practiced "in secret" until the game when it was anticipated they'd be necessary)--the idea of "flipping the switch" for the first time in an actual game-situation a move fraught with way too many dangerous pitfalls--at THIS point, I'm sure hoping there IS some element of that at work here: Let's just hope that Pease and the boys have SOMETHING up their sleeves to go with the old "grind out the win"-plan that everyone is so sure is the extent of both our offense AND our "plan"!
Well, the latest "good news" (as of last night) is that Driskel WILL be starting: he practiced without pain or apparent difficulty yesterday (Wed.) afternoon is the word, and here's hoping he's at full speed--even with our O-line reportedly at its healthiest in over a month (a SECOND piece of "good news"), we can assume that JD's ability to turn a broken pass-play into a big run will play a part more than once, and in more than one way...
That leaves the last, and maybe the most amazing "good news" of all: Our Gators ARE "10-and-1" (!), have repeatedly proven themselves to be "tough and battle-tested", which gets to be a "self-fulfilling prophesy" after awhile (I offer the ending-to-the-La-La-Game as just ONE example--albeit an extreme one!), and with our defense and special teams DO find ways to win close games, as this one is likely to be. We've done it against some of the toughest teams in the nation already, too, which is more than FSU can say...The fact that it is the host 'Noles who are favored, who give every impression of believing they are better than us and, like their fans, almost arrogant in their confidence at winning, is ANOTHER potential "edge". Now it's up to our guys to go out there and carry out the game plan, whatever it is, and, most of all, TO SHOVE IT DOWN THEIR THROATS!

Escambia94

The key to this game will be Brent Pease. If Will Muschamp lets Pease take some calculated risks in practice and in the game, then he can find a game plan that balances taking care of the ball with putting points on the board, using a very limited set of talent. We all know that these offensive players are not built for this team, and that the best offensive weapon in Jordan Reed is easily shut down because he is the only grade A offensive weapon an opposing defense needs to cover! Pease's plan needs to be to force one of our grade C offensive players to step up and make plays, to play above his abilities.

Escambia94

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the Gator Nation, especially those who are deployed in theater.

I have a dozen friends that are deployed right now. Some of them are forward enough where they will not see any football games, or Macy's parades. They will stand in line for an hour for a cold turkey, but it will be their best meal of the year. God bless America!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Happy Thanksgiving to all in the Gator Nation, especially those who are deployed in theater.

I have a dozen friends that are deployed right now. Some of them are forward enough where they will not see any football games, or Macy's parades. They will stand in line for an hour for a cold turkey, but it will be their best meal of the year. God bless America!

and people from Walmart complaint about working today? I work at retail too and I'm not complaining though I lucked out because I have off (well I have to wake up about 4 AM but small price to paid). I have a number of things to be thankful like my sister going to UF for law school and the Gators at 10-1 (Gator related of course). I hope our troops who are Gators or gators fan get a nice belated Thanksgiving present when the team beats FSU Saturday.

Escambia94

and people from Walmart complaint about working today? I work at retail too and I'm not complaining though I lucked out because I have off (well I have to wake up about 4 AM but small price to paid). I have a number of things to be thankful like my sister going to UF for law school and the Gators at 10-1 (Gator related of course). I hope our troops who are Gators or gators fan get a nice belated Thanksgiving present when the team beats FSU Saturday.

Depending on whether they are in Qatar, Iraq, Afghanistan, or a place I cannot mention, most of them will not know the outcome of the game until Sunday morning. 3:30 PM Saturday Eastern time is 1 AM Sunday in Afghanistan, or 11:30 PM Saturday in Qatar and Iraq.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
KEEP YER HEADS DOWN and on a swivel, boys--Happy Thanksgiving, that most-American of all holidays, to all my friends here at GE, AND GATORS EVERYWHERE!!!

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
You SHOULD be able to see it SOMEWHERE up there--or have a legitimate FREAK-OUT case, FG!
(and Btw: Welcome to the "Undersigned Wise-Ass Club":cool:)

PS--SEC is CBS, of course, but I'm not sure about where the ACC "Game of the Week" is shown...I know that y'all generally have access to the 4 "main"/over-the-air US networks up there, or at least USED to...Still do? If so, you SHOULD see this one, as "The Championship of Florida" IS now "back" as the UF/FSU game, and considering how it is being hyped, important as it has been in some years...

PPS--Really into those old Marvel "THOR" comix there, FG? (Me too--though more a "Silver Surfer", "Dr. Strange" guy, if pressed...)
Disaster averted: it's on ABC up here. PVR has been informed.

PS: wasn't really a Thor reference, just something I like to say (I also reference the Beard of Zeus from time to time). If pressed, however, I'm more into Batman or Iron Man. Have been since I could afford to buy them.

Escambia94

Disaster averted: it's on ABC up here. PVR has been informed.

PS: wasn't really a Thor reference, just something I like to say (I also reference the Beard of Zeus from time to time). If pressed, however, I'm more into Batman or Iron Man. Have been since I could afford to buy them.

Awesome! Hopefully we will see you in the game thread.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That entirely depends on my 13 month old son. He doesn't often cooperate with that sort of plan. He wants things like "attention," and "food," and so forth. Demanding jerk, really... :p
:)roflmao: laughing--HARD) You know, you really aren't alone in this "secret sentiment", my friend...

Escambia94

That entirely depends on my 13 month old son. He doesn't often cooperate with that sort of plan. He wants things like "attention," and "food," and so forth. Demanding jerk, really... :p

Yeah. Those kids do not come with a warning label. Technically, kids fit the definition of terrorists. They deprive you of food and sleep. They stand against everything you are for, and are for everything you are against. They only care about their own interests, even if it ruins it for anyone else.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Yeah. Those kids do not come with a warning label. Technically, kids fit the definition of terrorists. They deprive you of food and sleep. They stand against everything you are for, and are for everything you are against. They only care about their own interests, even if it ruins it for anyone else.
And indiscriminately use chemical warfare to force our submission.

Escambia94

And indiscriminately use chemical warfare to force our submission.

True story! You know, as a military member I am trained to survive chemical warfare. I have to sit in the gas chamber once a year. I would take that over the kids' chemical warfare tactics any day.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema