• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GameDay Gators vs Gamecocks

awebbf5

VIP Member
I made it. Let's hope we get a W fellas.
Resized_20161112_111856.jpeg

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Greetings, my brothers.
(...and thanks for stepping in to get this going here, aweb...Above and beyond the call, all around, gotta say--all the more considering you are actually on the scene)
Hope all continues in this fashion. It's the one game we have some reasonable chance of winning rest of the way...
And given you are actually there, all the more reason I hope it ISN'T the "more of same" frustration-fest, in spite of all the injuries--which, big picture, seem to have sealed our fate for THIS year: "CHOOSE YOUR MEDIOCRITY BOWL"
Still wish Mac'd just announce a "Tankin' It" strategy rest of this season, clearly warn that everything we do from here on out (including start one of the freshman qbs) was aimed at building towards next year, and beyond. Our place in the bowl picture is already reserved regardless of results in any of the actual games scheduled, including this one.
But yeah, I've gone over this elsewhere.
So I'll drop it now, for now, and watch the game. Forgive me if I'm less rabidly involved than usual though. All the injuries have clouded the real issues for now. Perfect TIME to go with the "turn to rebuild-in-earnest" approach--and maybe that's even what our Head Coach is really turning to, behind the scenes--but from here it seems his "next guy on depth chart steps in, steps up" party-line is sincere, if somewhat unrealistic by now.
Ah, well...
GO GATORS!!! Eat'em UP!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I made it. Let's hope we get a W fellas.View attachment 339
Wow--just noted time of pic: Guess shoulda figured from "crowd" (NOT) behind y'all, but even for an early-start game, you and fam were there EARLY.
AND now that I actually see and FEEL the three of you, evident happiness and hope, well, ok, that boosts my enthusiasm...
To hell with my all around dark forebodings. OK! We're FIGHTIN' Gators, after all!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, both O AND D working hard, doing about as well as they have the tools presently to accomplish. All we can ask.
But half-empty-type guy I am, can't help thinking what a LAUGHER this one "woulda shoulda coulda" been had we just been healthy AND had a proper offensive plan, even just for the limited tools we had...Still, shut them down and score a coupla more TDs on offense and we'll damn well take it--maybe even carry a sliver of hope into the NEXT one...
No. If ever there was a time to TRULY take things "one game at a time" it is now.
The Coach is betting EVERYTHING on recruiting now, though. That's how I see and interpret the current story and course from here.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I guess that "targeting" flag on Thompson is arguably valid: Just watched the replay a few times and yes, his helmet made contact first, nearly the TOP of his helmet, so it could be said he "LED with the crown of his helmet" on what was a very hard hit--which nowadays is prob gonna be called for "targeting" every time.
So lets see...he gets KNOCKED outta the game on a sharp hit last week, ejected from this one until the 2nd half of NEXT week's game for one HE delivers...Kind of a demo of the whole TEAM'S kind of year, all around.
The hits just keep on comin', and the losses of all kinds just continue to pile up.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
What a defense, even now.
Missing big pieces and "the surging Gamecocks" STILL can't score on em in 3 quarters. "We are the boys..." Yeah.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, prob gonna lose the shut out here--the diff being the missing-to-injury players' replacements now wearing down...thanks to the usual game-long crap-offense.
As unwatchable as ever, most of the way...
Will "Muschamp's Latest" do what they always do? NO! They go for it--and get there. Guess he learned something here at UF after all. But maybe if he'd grown a pair few years back he'd still be with us...
Well, maybe finding a QB mighta helped too.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now: We have multiple, well-rested RBs.
Can we not burn enough clock to put this one away? 'Cause we ain't gonna see Appleby "put it away with his arm".
That'd be a laughable statement if it wasn"t so sad. And so true.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Be honest with y'all, this can only BE an at BEST tense last few minutes, with what we've seen in the 2nd half here from our always-under-whelming offense.
Unless the RBs get it done (practically on their OWN) here, it'll be on Appleby to stay calm, execute.
Otherwise, we're looking at a nailbiter against a pretty weak team, clearly.
Sorry, my friends. I do NOT see us winning another one in the reg season after THIS.
Honestly, do any of YOU?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, close to narrowing things--even a "REFORMED-Muschamp" offense.
He DOES now have at least a passable "qb-with-upside-potential"-- which turned out to be more than the fine recruits he gathered in Gainesville.
This game will get better in years to come, possibly.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I still say all the wounded ("walking-" and otherwise) offer perfect cover for the Coach to redraw the focus for the rest of the year.
Oh well, get to that later.
Here's SC's last drive (hopefully).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We just had to "make it interesting" here.
Of all the times for the D to wear out.
Again, no help from Offense. But still.
Just keep em out another 35 seconds or so, leave it all on the onside kick.
4th down. Gator ball. Finally done.
Analysis: Gators lose the rest. No offense, thin defense now (they TIRE)

miltongator

Gator Fan
Be honest with y'all, this can only BE an at BEST tense last few minutes, with what we've seen in the 2nd half here from our always-under-whelming offense.
Unless the RBs get it done (practically on their OWN) here, it'll be on Appleby to stay calm, execute.
Otherwise, we're looking at a nailbiter against a pretty weak team, clearly.
Sorry, my friends. I do NOT see us winning another one in the reg season after THIS.
Honestly, do any of YOU?
Nope!

awebbf5

VIP Member
Wow--just noted time of pic: Guess shoulda figured from "crowd" (NOT) behind y'all, but even for an early-start game, you and fam were there EARLY.
AND now that I actually see and FEEL the three of you, evident happiness and hope, well, ok, that boosts my enthusiasm...
To hell with my all around dark forebodings. OK! We're FIGHTIN' Gators, after all!

Yeah where my swamp trips are few and between I take it ,by getting there early and staying after the final whistle. Had a blast, crowd was great couldnt believe it for a noon game against sc. Sitting at hibachi in Gainesville , then heading to the local Walmart to get some gator gear ( great to not have to see only Kentucky wildcat shirts for sale when you go in). Will do a longer post and upload pictures later tonight.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah where my swamp trips are few and between I take it ,by getting there early and staying after the final whistle. Had a blast, crowd was great couldnt believe it for a noon game against sc. Sitting at hibachi in Gainesville , then heading to the local Walmart to get some gator gear ( great to not have to see only Kentucky wildcat shirts for sale when you go in). Will do a longer post and upload pictures later tonight.

Will hold ya to it, bra'.
So, what was the attitude towards the offense and our qb, GIVEN all the injuries on top of everything else? What sorts of things were fans saying/yelling/muttering today?

(I'm listening to the post game call-in show on RUF, and the "host" really is a loud-mouther IDIOT. Maybe I will go over to another (new) thread to discuss the issues he is bullyingly glossing over and/or ignoring entirely the main issues; we'll have time in the days head...There are some things I wanna raise here and now, though:)
We got the win. The offense DID look better than it has--with an actual apparent plan from the start, proper use early of Appleby's mobility, and oh by the way, againstvone of the weaker defenses in the SEC...But we are wounded, thin everywhere and backs-against-the-wall, and ya gotta say EVERYONE stepped up in a way that deserves our hope and pride.
Doesn't bode well for the rest of the season, on balance, but the worst DIDN'T come to pass--YET. Recruiting is still EVERYTHING, more than EVER now--and how we approach what's ahead will have a bearing on what can be realistically accomplished there.
"Winning out" AIN'T the likely scenario, "losing out" a distinct possibility--so maybe we should be framing the discussion in a different way, one that makes our style, philosophy and longterm aims major pluses. And the obvious "openings for early play" aren't necessarily so attractive without at least SOME potential already in place.
At QB, with ONLY Appleby there now, the red shirt on Franks should have ALREADY been recognized as no longer relevant. Now, I don't happen to believe it is relevant in ANY event: If he's anywhere near as good as his high school performance and growing recognized skills suggest, he might not be at this level through his Senior year in any event--that's just the way things are done now (and if he turns out to be a "practice-stud/game dud" like, well, like every guy since #15, until Mac got here, then pulling the red shirt now won't make a diff either: There'll be someone ELSE in that role).
So: Don't know HOW much his injuries affected (and continues to affect) things, but I am sorry: at least at this point, Luke DelRio now trails Appleby on the depth chart, even come the bowl season and full healing, I think. Appleby is more mobile, as expected--but though somewhat limited compared to the best out there, has a quicker release and more arm-strength than Luke has shown (especially since he began accumulating injuries). But Appleby's finished after this season, whereas DelRio comes back--and clearly we are in DEEP doodoo if he's our starting QB going into game 1 in 2017.
A freshman is gonna be a first-backup by then in ANY event, and we have, in Franks at least, the opportunity to begin preparing him for THAT--and probably a BETTER chance at seeing him begin the process by which he could surpass DelRio by summer camp.
On top of which, there are also signs that DelRio may be injury-PRONE. How many warnings of multiple chances of future problems do our coaches NEED?
So yeah--gotta figure our Coach hopes to grab a 4- or 5-star qb on the recruiting trail in any event...But he's got a coupla promising ones here now, and there are nothing BUT good reasons to start getting one in there and ready to take over, if necessary, NOW.
Yes, we still gotta "try to win" the rest of the way, for all kinds of reasons, practical AND emotional. But I don't think the actions I'm discussing necessarily violate that effort--in fact, they give us more flexibility to try and accomplish that in the face of all the things that can (and already HAVE) happen out there.
Alright. That about closes the book on this , not just what was accomplished, but what was learned.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Will hold ya to it, bra'.
So, what was the attitude towards the offense and our qb, GIVEN all the injuries on top of everything else? What sorts of things were fans saying/yelling/muttering today?

(I'm listening to the post game call-in show on RUF, and the "host" really is a loud-mouther IDIOT. Maybe I will go over to another (new) thread to discuss the issues he is bullyingly glossing over and/or ignoring entirely the main issues; we'll have time in the days head...There are some things I wanna raise here and now, though:)
We got the win. The offense DID look better than it has--with an actual apparent plan from the start, proper use early of Appleby's mobility, and oh by the way, againstvone of the weaker defenses in the SEC...But we are wounded, thin everywhere and backs-against-the-wall, and ya gotta say EVERYONE stepped up in a way that deserves our hope and pride.
Doesn't bode well for the rest of the season, on balance, but the worst DIDN'T come to pass--YET. Recruiting is still EVERYTHING, more than EVER now--and how we approach what's ahead will have a bearing on what can be realistically accomplished there.
"Winning out" AIN'T the likely scenario, "losing out" a distinct possibility--so maybe we should be framing the discussion in a different way, one that makes our style, philosophy and longterm aims major pluses. And the obvious "openings for early play" aren't necessarily so attractive without at least SOME potential already in place.
At QB, with ONLY Appleby there now, the red shirt on Franks should have ALREADY been recognized as no longer relevant. Now, I don't happen to believe it is relevant in ANY event: If he's anywhere near as good as his high school performance and growing recognized skills suggest, he might not be at this level through his Senior year in any event--that's just the way things are done now (and if he turns out to be a "practice-stud/game dud" like, well, like every guy since #15, until Mac got here, then pulling the red shirt now won't make a diff either: There'll be someone ELSE in that role).
So: Don't know HOW much his injuries affected (and continues to affect) things, but I am sorry: at least at this point, Luke DelRio now trails Appleby on the depth chart, even come the bowl season and full healing, I think. Appleby is more mobile, as expected--but though somewhat limited compared to the best out there, has a quicker release and more arm-strength than Luke has shown (especially since he began accumulating injuries). But Appleby's finished after this season, whereas DelRio comes back--and clearly we are in DEEP doodoo if he's our starting QB going into game 1 in 2017.
A freshman is gonna be a first-backup by then in ANY event, and we have, in Franks at least, the opportunity to begin preparing him for THAT--and probably a BETTER chance at seeing him begin the process by which he could surpass DelRio by summer camp.
On top of which, there are also signs that DelRio may be injury-PRONE. How many warnings of multiple chances of future problems do our coaches NEED?
So yeah--gotta figure our Coach hopes to grab a 4- or 5-star qb on the recruiting trail in any event...But he's got a coupla promising ones here now, and there are nothing BUT good reasons to start getting one in there and ready to take over, if necessary, NOW.
Yes, we still gotta "try to win" the rest of the way, for all kinds of reasons, practical AND emotional. But I don't think the actions I'm discussing necessarily violate that effort--in fact, they give us more flexibility to try and accomplish that in the face of all the things that can (and already HAVE) happen out there.
Alright. That about closes the book on this , not just what was accomplished, but what was learned.

A lot of positive for the offense. Idk how it looked on TV, but the offense seemed to look good. Austin was impressive with his throws and reads, I was also impressed with him and the reason option. Muschamp got a lot of stuff yelled at him including me doing it lol. A older couple from SC sat behind us ,and was saying that's uncalled for when people would chant stuff towards muschamp. I was like I defended that baffoon and you will get tired of doing it also. My son was so impressed with his first trip to the swamp. We spent a ton of money at Walmart buying gator gear. Was a great trip and dread going back home tomorrow , but was pleased with the entire trip and happy with the outcome of the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema