• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game Day Week 9: To Hell With Georgia

Trying to be positive:
  • This was the most complete defensive performance all year. The Gators held the Puppies to 223 yards, and only 93 yards of rushing.
  • The special teams and defense forced 5 turnovers!
  • The rushing attack was the most productive it has been all year. Kelvin Taylor rushed for 121 yards, and Jordan Scarlett ran for 96. Jordan Cronkrite would have gained a bunch as well if the referees were not making up rules on targeting.
  • Antonio Callaway is a rock star, even when hampered by injury.
  • Johnny Football is a damn good punter.
Back to earth:
  • The Gators should have tested out the leg of a backup kicker, rather than go for it. Then again, I can understand not taking chances against the Sick Puppies. Regardless, one of the kickers not named Austin Hardin is going to win or lose a game for the Gators this season and will need the extra practice making those kicks in a hostile environment. (For a kicker, any environment is hostile until he makes the kick.)
  • Treon Harris really is a step down from Will Grier. Just admit it, Gator Nation. Grier screwed us royally by not consulting with the Florida athletic staff about nutritional supplements. I am 99% certain Grier would have beaten LSU (although admittedly I was only 50% certain before the LSU game). Coach Mac needs to look at the plays that Treon excels in and use more of those. Hint: roll him out of the pocket.

I agree with this. Treon is a downgrae, he cannot make short the throws with split decision making that is proper.

Roll him out, get his legs in the game then stretch the field maybe and we will get some potency.

Will Grier could heave lead us to the CFB Playoff, I do not think Tre can do it.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
@Escambia94 I highly doubt if Grier would have won at LSU if he played that game. I hope that they can successful decrease the season to rest of the season though knowing the NCAA history of screwing the Gators I not sure that will happen. I do agree Coach Mac should adjust the playbook a little bit to fit Harris strengths like a certain former coach did in 2005. Vandy should be somewhat easy to beat same with FAU, South Carolina and FSU much tougher though FSU did lost to Georgia Tech and Clemson is coming and the game is in G-Ville.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I too am not so certain whether Grier would have made the difference in our loss--Treon, though definitely the "downgrade" we all can SEE and agree he generally is, CAN get on hot streaks that, depending on their length, can produce a flurry of big plays and points (exhibit a: the 3rd qrtr at LSU), or much shorter ones that frustratingly tease, HINT at his potential (exhibit b: ONE PLAY this time, that rainbow to the aforementioned growing star Calloway)..."Exhibit a" may well have matched Grier's theoretical, more-measured output for the whole GAME in Baton Rouge, we'll never know--while "exhibit b" only underlines so far mostly UNtapped "potential", and how frustrating his FAILURES to ignite the offense are the rest of the time.
Beyond all that, and in the larger frame of reference of what we can accomplish with "Treon, as is" rather than a growing mastery of the scheme and the TEAM as one of its true leaders, well, I'm afraid that we are stuck with his limitations, and withOUT Grier (or, for the time being, realistically, anyone else) he is the closest we (and more importantly Coach Mac) are going to have in the way of "a proper fit" in the kind of offensive scheme our Coach and his OC have in mind--HAD in mind to build since the moment each knew he was coming here. But in both men, indeed in the whole coaiching staff from what I've seen, we DO have smart, inventive, flexible and inventive guys who (unlike our last Coach, who just hired OCs who SAID what he wanted to hear and never DID adjust to anything at ALL, it seemed) is adaptable and will acknowledge and work with what they've got at any particular time. If Treon has any natural skills and advantages at all (and we know he does--albeit somewhat unreliable and intermittent), Mac will do all he can to highlight and maximize those, even as he brings him along, helps him get better.
Yes, I'm putting the best face I can on all this--but that doesn't make any of it untrue. Just maybe not enough to get us "over the hump", from "pretty good--if only we had a QB and a kicker", to "across-the-board VERY good, potentially GREAT". DEFINITELY not this year. And unless we get some fluky transfers in here along WITH a major stunner of a recruiting class, not even a PART of all that really "fixed" til Will's allowed back--and even then, who knows? Meanwhile, as we know all to well: good or bad, great or mediocre, even WITH "great classes", you really don't know what you have until later--and that goes double PLUS, both in terms of skills and time to bring them up to the level and speed of play at this level--especially at the QB position!
But then again, who says "great" is necessary to go far, even "all the WAY", at least this season?
I haven't YET seen anyone that has dazzled me, all the time...that hasn't looked vulnerable, even very beatable at times--as late as this week. I promised to stay away from comparing us to the "elite teams" yet, to even worry about who is getting what kind of credit and/or how we compare with them, and I wanna stick to that. But if ever there were a "just take care of our OWN business-season", for us and everyone else, this is the one!
But bad as we have looked at times (and again, the WEIRD part is that for the most part that's been during wins, not our one loss), no one else I've watched have been without seemingly near as many miscues and even worse near- disasters than us. By the "eye test"--and certainly by the scoreboard.
So let's just win, take the East, see if we can beat the Criminoles--then see where we stand.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Regardless if we think Treon is a downgrade from Will, we need to rally behind our QB. Treon is going to have to adjust to the coach's playbook, or the coaches are going to have to adjust the playbook to Treon. If you look at Treon's backup, Josh Grady, then you realize it makes sense to throw out the Will Grier plays until we can get a pocket QB not on steroids. Treon and Josh will want a moving pocket from time to time. Both can scramble well. We know little of Josh's throwing ability, but we do know that Treon can throw a rocket when he is not in the pocket.

Escambia94

Some quick highlights:
1kssg9.gif

2q7si5.gif

3dsstq.gif

4ewsno.gif

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let's not get cocky. South Carolina (3-5, 7th in SEC East) beat Vanderbilt under an interim coach, and without a solid QB. They kept it close with aTm (6-2, 4th in SEC West). Vanderbilt (3-5, 5th in SEC East) is a lot less scary than the Vandy team that has kept games close under Muschamp, but they did beat Missouri.

A win is a win, but this was ugly. The defense was stout, and the special teams snuffed out a fake punt. That offense is not going to beat FSU. No way. This FSU team is very beatable, but the Gators need to fine tune the offense to actually beat a good defense.
"Fine tune"??? Got the impression from his attitude and comments Mac'd like to send everyone ON that offense, all but his stretched skin-tight and overworked O-line anyway, to bed without dinner after that game--then damn near "start over" come Monday...He KNOWS there's a ton of work to do yet--in practice AND of course these last few games. Well, if any staff can make a difference, it's this one. And I still see enough flashes of talent, even brilliance from Treon that just as a fan I'm not ready to give up on 'em either. Meanwhile, Kelvin had "light feet", speed and moves Sat. we've expected but hadn't really seen so far before this...and clearly we now have some real weapons, budding stars beginning to show up both behind Taylor on the depth chart--and now even at WR. So far, only one Treon seems to see is Calloway--and that may be enough (at least til the last reg season game).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Regardless if we think Treon is a downgrade from Will, we need to rally behind our QB. Treon is going to have to adjust to the coach's playbook, or the coaches are going to have to adjust the playbook to Treon. If you look at Treon's backup, Josh Grady, then you realize it makes sense to throw out the Will Grier plays until we can get a pocket QB not on steroids. Treon and Josh will want a moving pocket from time to time. Both can scramble well. We know little of Josh's throwing ability, but we do know that Treon can throw a rocket when he is not in the pocket.
(Gave the thumb's up "Like" here, and know you were just bein' your sardonically funny self with that "not on steroids" throwaway/aside--and yeah, I laughed--but that's more minor tragedy than fodder-for- comedy, and you know it's not accurate either. But all your actual points here are on target and as usual go right to the heart of things, E-. It's a source of our angst during games, the mixture of hope and frustration that somehow leaves us holding our heads and chewin' our nails during games we're actually pretty well dominating. Bottom line, we CAN'T be "great" until we have a QB who is PLAYING well on a consistent basis--and "GREAT" is what this Coach and his staff fully intend to build here, and for the long haul.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...having said all that, "great" may well not be required to do "great things" this season, by ANYONE on a consistent basis. No one:s looked like any sort of "unstoppable force" for more than parts of games here and there.
And our defense really IS great most of the time--danger there mostly only arises when the offense plays so poorly that the D spends TOO much time on the field, a la those seasons under Muschamp.
No, things could work out well still if only Treon were to become more consistent in an offense Mac continues to tailor to him, and of course we STILL need a kicker (I leep hearing about Hardin's supposed "injury": Anyone know what it IS, and/or if.when there's any hope it gets better anytime soon?).

GoGatorsZ71

Hangin in tha swamps
It's funny listening to some of my uga buds complaining about not showing up last Saturday and that Richt better be gone as they can't continue to watch their team lose more games lol.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Part of the success this year (IMHO) is due to a comparative down year in the SEC, especially in the East. That has allowed our rebuild to get a little ahead of schedule. It seems that most of the East is in the same place....trying to get back on top.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's funny listening to some of my uga buds complaining about not showing up last Saturday and that Richt better be gone as they can't continue to watch their team lose more games lol.
"Be careful what you ask for..." That's what goes thru my mind: UGA fans might take a look at Nebraska--got rid of a guy who was giving them 9-win seasons on a consistent basis, with a shot at something more if/when they managed to snag a breakout recruit or two, stay healthy, and so on. Sound familiar, Dogs?
But even after losing THEIR "breakout recruit" at RB, and after more'n TEN YEARS of setting a consistently high standard of SEC contention and national attention (both that length of success AND one man staying in one such position that long by now anomilies in themselves), they are whining and stirring again in Athens, this time may well be serious about making a change there--especially if Richt's team were to lose another one. If it were to the "wrong" team, or by too lopsided a score, I think it could happen.
The strange, and to me truly funny part is that like some other fan bases, they are now pointing to OUR program, the change in fortune/sudden resurgence of UF with Coach Mac's arrival , as a rationale for their own such "move to a new direction"...
Me, I don't know which we should relish more: UGA KEEPING Richt, who keeps them JUST good enough for it to be a "Big Win in The Cocktail Party" for us most years now (and such contests are important in the current "Football Final Four" system now, as we are seeing), OR for them to make some ill-considered, premature "rush-to-change" (ie. change for its own sake), to go out and get someone who "looks good on paper" but turns out not to fit so well (um, for eg., good as Foley is at finding and bringing in "the right guy" for US, "Then there was Muschamp..." Got it right, BIG TIME, here and now, tho--and once again not nec the "obvious, can't miss choice" when he did it, but he went right to Mac, his 1st choice...Yeah, I am def back in the Foley fold)
'Course, 'Dogs (program AND fans) aren't only ones looking at Mac and what's happened in G-ville, so much so fast--from out in the wilderness and ignored, to back in the forefront of rankings and the national discussion in HALF A SEASON (and clearly very EARLY in our actual turn-around process, with someone else's pickups, a collection of seeming mismatches that were lucky to win the few they did LAST year, implying ENORMOUS upside and a continued SURGE in seasons directly ahead). But it's especially funny AND satisfying to see it coming from UGA.

Escambia94

I hope Georgia keeps Richt forever, and that Florida beats Georgia 50-3 every dadgum year until he decides to retire. I hope Georgia takes back their sleeper agent Will Muschamp, and Florida smashes that Muschamp defense every year. When Richt gets tired of losing, then bring on Muschamp as head coach and let the Gators smash his team every year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema