• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Florida Gators 2014 recruiting class

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I did not realize it earlier, but Dalvin Cook's decommitment apparently caused WR Ermon Lane and DB Quincy Wilson to follow suit. Not good.

Escambia94

Unfortunately all three will probably land at FSU. That is only bad if we are replacing 4 and 5 star recruits with 3 stars.

Escambia94

Here are the top targets left. Florida has 20 recruits with varying levels of commitment as of 1/12. There are 7 early enrollees on campus that are solid. The other 13 can still change their minds, but I would only anticipate losing 2 of them and gaining another 2. Florida stands a decent chance of grabbing one of the top three on the list, and flipping a couple of the others. If I had my choice, I would grab 5* WDE Lorenzo Carter, 3* OT Orlando Brown, OL Jordan Sims, one of the two QBs, and flip a receiver (4* WR Eric Lauderdale would be nice)
  • Lorenzo Carter, WDE, 6'6", 232, 5* Norcross, GA (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, FSU, Georgia)
  • Jamal Adams, S, 6', 199, 4* Lewisville, TX (LSU, Florida, Ole Miss, Texas, Texas A&M)
  • Da'Shawn Hand, SDE 5* Woodbridge, VA (Alabama, Florida)
  • KC McDermott, OT, 6'6", 285, 4* Wellington, FL (Miami, Notre Dame, tOSU, Alabama, Florida)
  • Sony Michel, RB, 5'11", 190 5* Plantation, FL (Florida, FSU, tOSU, Notre Dame, Georgia)
  • Dontavius Russell, DT, 6'3", 300, 5* Carrollton, GA (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech)
  • Bo Scarbrough, RB, 6'2", 222, 5* Bradenton, FL (teammate of C'yontai Lewis; Ole Miss, UCLA, Alabama)
  • Andrew Brown, DT, 6'3", 298, 5* Chesapeake, VA (UVA, Clemson, Florida, Michigan, USCe; note - no official visits)
  • Orlando Brown, OT, 6'7", 340, 3* Duluth, GA (Tennessee, Arkansas, Cal, Clemson, Florida; note - no official visits)
  • Garrett Brumfield, OG, 6'4", 285, 4* Baton Rouge, LA (LSU, Alabama, Florida, FSU; note - no official visits on record)
  • Leonard Fournette, RB 5* New Orleans, LA (LSU, Alabama)
  • Jamarco Jones, WR 4* Chicago, IL (tOSU)
  • Speedy Noil, WR 4* New Orleans, LA (Texas A&M)
  • Edward Paris, S 5* Mansfield, TX (LSU)
  • Jabrill Peppers, ATH 5* Paramus, NJ (Michigan)
  • Artavis Scott, WR, 4* Tarpon Springs, FL (Clemson)
  • Ray Ray McCloud, ATH, 5-9, 166, Tampa, Fla./Sickles
  • Jeff Jones, RB, 6-0, 180, Minneapolis, MN (Minnesota, Florida, Iowa State)
  • Tony James, RB, 5-9, 175, Gainesville, Fla./Gainesville (Oregon)
  • Eric Lauderdale, WR, 6-1, 195, 4* Mission Viejo, Calif./Saddleback C.C. (ASU, Florida, Oregon)
  • Travis Rudolph, WR, 6-1, 188, 3* West Palm Beach, Fla./Cardinal Newman
  • Derrick Kelly, OL, 6-5, 268, 3* Havana, Fla./East Gadsden (Florida, FSU, LSU)
  • Jalen Hurd, RB, 6'2", 210, 5* Hendersonville, TN (Florida, tOSU, Tennessee)
  • Denzel Ware, WDE, 6'2", 215, 4* Crestview, FL (rumored to Florida on 4/6/2013, but decided on UK on 6/9/2013)
  • Wade Freebeck, QB, 6'4", 180, 3* Davie, FL (Pitt)
  • Jordan Sims, OL, 6-4, 348, Homewood, Ala./Homewood
  • Thomas Holley, DT, 6-4, 300, Brooklyn, N.Y./Abraham Lincoln
  • Adoree’ Jackson, ATH, 5-10, 182, Gardena, Calif./Junipero Serra
  • Marvin Zanders, QB, 6-1, 175, Jacksonville, FL R (Missouri)

Escambia94

I participated in a chat session with some of the sports writers in the Gainesville area. The guys like Andrew Spivey and Nick de la Torre seem to have good information and have not let the rumors spin out of control. In short, recruiting is not as bad as some have us believing. For example, losing Ermon Lane sucks from a pure talent point of view, but we will soon see at FSU that he only runs deep outs and streaks. Against Florida DBs, and an aggressive defense that is not afraid to take penalties for being hands-on, those receivers are easy to jam, lock down, or disrupt. There is another receiver on the radar that came from a more complex offense that would be a better fit than Lane. There are also some quiet recruits that will probably surprise the Gator fans on National Signing Day. However, be prepared to lose some of the big names in the rumor mill. Florida attracts a lot of attention, so we have become a convenient placeholder for kids from Florida to "reserve a hat on the table" while they shop around for a program that suits them.

Escambia94

Here is a surprise flip: Thomas Holley, DT, 6'4", 303, 1/15/2014, 4* Brookyln, NY.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I participated in a chat session with some of the sports writers in the Gainesville area. The guys like Andrew Spivey and Nick de la Torre seem to have good information and have not let the rumors spin out of control. In short, recruiting is not as bad as some have us believing. For example, losing Ermon Lane sucks from a pure talent point of view, but we will soon see at FSU that he only runs deep outs and streaks. Against Florida DBs, and an aggressive defense that is not afraid to take penalties for being hands-on, those receivers are easy to jam, lock down, or disrupt. There is another receiver on the radar that came from a more complex offense that would be a better fit than Lane. There are also some quiet recruits that will probably surprise the Gator fans on National Signing Day. However, be prepared to lose some of the big names in the rumor mill. Florida attracts a lot of attention, so we have become a convenient placeholder for kids from Florida to "reserve a hat on the table" while they shop around for a program that suits them.
Nick knows some of the same people I talk to...He's bright, careful, and privately at least is at least as optimistic as I am regarding 2014 and 15. We're currently rated in the 5-to-7 range in 2014 prospective signings as far as "rankings" by the major recruiting services--and these tend to reflect public perception as much as affect it at times. That whole "FSU-trio" of swelled-headed pals had a big impact the last few weeks (we were headed for a top-3 rating 'til then), and frankly, personally I see these fickle, S. Fla. kids that could even equate the two programs' identities as problematic at best ANYWAY. Of course, winning a Nat'l Championship didn't hurt them either.
We've got some of the best people in recruiting in our program now, Muschamp himself is a tireless and charismatic Head Coach who really works at this and attends to the details (something he's had more time and REASON to do this year!)...In short: We're gonna do just fine--on NSD, AND the weeks and months following as some of the more thoughtful, circumspect young men consider and eventually settle on becoming Gators.

Escambia94

We will be fine on NSD. We may lose a recruit here and there, but we should gain another as well. The key thing that Muschamp is doing is that he is weeding out the troublemakers left over from the previous regime, and during the recruiting process. Muschamp probably needs to take some chances on offensive players that are potential troublemakers, and find ways to control them while they are on campus.

Escambia94

Add commitment #22, ATH Deiondre Porter, 6'1", 185 of Tampa Jefferson High School, Tampa FL. Deiondre played QB in Tampa, but could convert to WR or CB. He stated in one interview that being around football gurus and getting a college degree were his priorities. He was also recruited by USF, UCF, and UM.

The Gators are in danger of losing Dontae Angus due to academic qualifications. The coaching staff will monitor his progress leading up to NSD.

Escambia94

My last predictions. I think we can fit five more in this class in addition to the 22 current commitments.
  • CB Adoree Jackson. He is smaller version of Percy Harvin. Slight chance he flips to USCw.
  • WR Isaiah MacKenzie or WR CJ Worton. MacKenzie is the bigger name, but he might land a couple hours west. There is a slight possibility of landing both, but I would not count on that.
  • OL Derrick Kelly. Coach Summers needs to steal at least one recruit, so why not flip an LSU commit?
  • OL Damian Prince would be a great addition to the class. Getting two OLs could greatly help the Gators. Slight chance he stays home in Maryland.
  • DE Lorenzo Carter would be great for depth on defense, but I think Florida fell behind Georgia and he sticks with his home state.
  • DE Rocel McWilliams would be a nice steal from Missouri, but there might not be room in this class.
  • QB Treon Harris would provide depth at our most vulnerable position in five years.

• CB JC Jackson is currently committed and decommitted, depending on the day. There were rumors of him flipping with Lane and Cook, but he has remained soft with the Gators and might stick with his original commitment.
  • OL/DL Dontae Angus might fall off the board due to academics. We seem to have one of these each year.

Last edited:

Escambia94

Unexpected flip #1:
Andrew Mike, OL, 6'7", 270, 2/4/2014, 3* Tucson, AZ (flipped from Vanderbilt on NSD-1)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
QB Harris, as "counterpoint" to No. 1-In-Nation QB-prospect Grier, would be huge, if still a long shot--we could redshirt him then bring him along and up behind (or slide him into Grier's spot early if the former were hurt or a bust)
...Btw, Driskel, by every back-channel report, is ahead-of-schedule recovery-wise, has filled out into a bit of a "specimen" now with time and intense rehab regimen, and by accounts from inside -sources has really taken to our new OC's approach: "He's looking great!" in off season informal practices, according to these.
Another thing: You'll hear various reports and rankings putting this class in the "5-to-7 range" unless some dramatic "flips and steals" turn up, but personally I've given up on these for a number of reasons--the two biggest being the weird, band-wagon "consensus of fools" nature that it all seems based on, and the fact that our own people exude EXTREME confidence and calm contentment with what they're pretty sure of getting already, even as they work feverishly to add a few "surprises" to the mix. Ultimately, the actual on-field realities will be a different story from media-assessments on NSD in ANY event--and we haven't done so well there with the last few "top-" or "near-top-rated" recruiting classes, you'll remember. With so much riding on it for both our future, and those of both the current coaches and (of course) the young men themselves, I'm gonna watch THIS one with an eye towards future "character and chemistry"--and at least TRY to maintain some patience, perspective, and trust in this coaching staff (one of whose known-strengths is supposed to include recruiting, in any event). Go Gators!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I did not realize it earlier, but Dalvin Cook's decommitment apparently caused WR Ermon Lane and DB Quincy Wilson to follow suit. Not good.
Yeah, I'd heard that at the time it surfaced, and even commented on it I believe (ie. sort of a "who needs 'em, then?" attitude--maybe a bit of sour grapes on my part, but there's a certain truth to the idea that maybe we neither want nor NEED these kids who would (1) glom together in such "needy" fashion, and/or (2) be blind, shallow and fickle enough to even consider the two schools as somehow "equivalent" in the first place).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--This is HOPELESS...I'm SUPPOSED (and am trying) to be working on "tightening up" a pilot-screenplay this morning, a really important step towards getting a deal with Starz Network for a series closed, but with "one eye" on NSD and our Gators' progress, it's become pretty futile for the moment...
Treon Harris just flipped to us, so we're looking GREAT at QB over the next few seasons...In fact, along with mainly holding what's projected, a receiver-surprise or two might just turn this day from "good and solid" into "WINDFALL!" now. Never mind what these pre-placed "color-analyst/yappin'-heads" in various trendy college towns are saying (you don't think ANY of 'em, or ESPN themselves, are gonna admit they're maybe "in the wrong place" after ALL, do ya?), something really good may be starting to turn out in G-ville. Maybe "under the radar" is where we're best off for now...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
Hey man! No surprise YOU'RE here AND monitoring our progress-at-large; I'm looking forward to our assorted other regs' reactions to this day as it comes into further focus...you? Figure they'll "straggle in" later on, when it's final-form more materializes. I suppose I've referred to this before, but I really felt that this NSD in particular was a turning-point one coming in: We were/are gonna head "one way or the other" here and now...Maybe more than anytime in recent memory, we may well look back several years from now and be able to point to it as a key to so many good things that will have happened since.
Quality coaches working together, getting quality kids with great talent--it takes both of course and now and then when they meet on NSD, "the edge" of a formidable weapon is forged. That MAY well be what's happening for us today. Still remains to be seen, but so far, couldn't be going much better, more arrow-straight in that direction.
(Well, with one glaring exception, which I am about to address below.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(OK--This is starting to get under even MY thick-skin regarding that "under the radar" business I've begun to like, after admittedly chafing under for its shallow short term memory and long term miopia: For the third time in an hour, these analysts in ESPN's "Recruiting Central" have made a similar comment, with a screen-shot showing a prospect's "schools-being-considered" showing all 3 of us, UF, FSU and UM, among the "most likely choice" among his suitors, that it "seems the two big cross-state rivals, 'Noles and 'Canes, are again at the top here..." OK, OK, it's been ALL THAT TIME since we HAD a "little success"--yeah, must be like TWO YEARS since we went 11-1 in the regular season, FOUR since our last Nat'l Championship, uh-huh, we've DEFINITELY DISAPPEARED, just dropped outta the picture entirely, and I sorta DO like having all the focus elsewhere, it's GOOD for us, and especially our kids, to be HUNGRY now, but this is just dumb--and bad reporting, to boot. I mean, UM's proved NOTHING except how corrupt they still are last not-just-a-few years, and FSU only JUST finally lived up to all those "No. 1 recruiting classes" these fools have been rating them with for YEARS...and have any of these idiots ever BEEN to the State of Florida during football season? Um, there IS another "big time program" down that way, folks...and believe me, it's located in an infinitely cooler and PRETTIER town than either Tallahassee OR Miami. Not OUR fault you're stuck in one of those holes, and woulda had a MUCH better time and gig in G-ville.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now, let's turn to my one growing worry here, a "continued trend" that concerned me coming in...This involves an obvious "area of need" that HAS to be addressed, a major part of our ongoing problems, and any HOPE of dramatic improvement to our problem-offense: We need BIG, LONG, FAST help at WR. It's been a glaring weakness for sometime, we were missing it coming INTO this recruiting cycle and so far, this class is STILL missing at least ONE go-out-long/go-up-and-get-it guy--preferably a PAIR of 'em. Obviously, coupla "bookends" could help "turn things around" for JD in 2014 , and/or make whomever the future QB(s) all THEY can be. Those other two "cross-state powers" (yeah yeah yeah...yada yada yada) have themselves grabbed some (that Ermon Lane deal, w/him going to FSU, was well-expected by now, but irks me nonetheless, and exemplifies what continues to seem "broke" in this process for us), as have the best of the other SEC schools. Man, we gotta turn this trend around, GET OUR SHARE! I don't see any reason we can't--except we haven't, we keep missing on the too FEW we go after in the first place, imo. Not over yet, there are some promising-if-untried guys already "in the fold", and there'll be some out there and time after today to bring them in--but why do we keep missing here? Is it happening again this time, or is it ME that's missing something? Sure hope so--'cause I figure that could be the diff 'tween "gettin' better", and "Holy crap, the Gators have gotten good in a HURRY on offense!" next season.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Into this as I am, I gotta take a break from monitoring NSD on ESPN--and it's all because of their coverage: It's like we practically don't exist, in their view. Good part of the time, we don't even get MENTIONED even when we're on the short list of schools a highly-rated recruit is considering, near or AT the top of the list that's ON THE SCREEN. I'm turning down the sound and either listening to music or running SERIUS/XM satellite radio's coverage in the background while I go back to my actual (supposed to be doing) work. Will talk with y'all later on, of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema