• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Embarrassed

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am cautiously optimistic about the offense. We screwed the defense when we went from the run-first Plan to Win to the Chinese Fire Drill. If you don't know what I mean about the Chinese Fire Drill, imagine three cars full of teenagers going from The Oaks Mall to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and at every stoplight or stop sign on Newberry everyone jumps out of the car and runs into a different car before the light changes or within 30 seconds at a stop sign, sometimes even swapping out drivers. Sometimes all five people in one car and six in the other will jump into the '68 Beetle, sometimes nobody will jump into the '76 Duster, or nobody will get in the driver's seat of the '81 El Camino. In other words, utter chaos that leads no leaders, total confusion, and lots of illegal shifts. Well, the defense was built for speed and was not on the field for more than 30 minutes. We screwed the defense by switching mid-stream from "ball-control" (using the term loosely) to Chinese Fire Drill, but by being on the field for more than 30 minutes we saw who the future stars were. Powell, Floyd, and Easley showed more endurance and conditioning than many veterans. Will Hill and Jeremy Brown just plain quit on defense after a while.

I'm not too worried about defense. Teryl Austin and Chuck Heater are doing well. Our young players are fast, but I worry about the defensive linemen not eating quarterbacks and the linebackers not hitting hard. Powell is doing well in both categories. Jelani Jenkins might come back--he gets the E94 stamp of approval. Will Hill had one or two good games, but he needed to have eight or nine more good ones.

Assuming we dump the Chinese Fire Drill offense, our defense should be okay next year.

"Chinese Fire Drill".
Yes, that's a PERFECT description of our whole team's play.
It is certainly what the 3-H-M quickly became. By last Sat. at Doak, it was confusing OUR team more than theirs.
It was there on defense as well, but not so much early:
I thought they lost focus as they once again spent more and more time on the field, the offense repeatedly turning it over without scoring. I think you covered the main points in terms of on-field personnel, what forces were at work there AND why there is cause for hope in the future.
For me, regarding the defense, the only thing standing in the way of outright optimism is whether or not that huge burden in time-of-possession (curtesy of the offense) is the main reason for their disappointing performance as the season wore on. As the freshmen were incorporated into the starting unit, the talent-level clearly improved, but over-all performance did not.
We need some defensive linemen, obviously, and more time and experience for this already young "D" to gel and learn to work together, act instinctively. But I'm still unsure if these coaches are up to the task that is on their shoulders: THEY must implement the system, get the right guys out there in the right positions and sets, bring them together and somehow inject that fire, that "angry edge" that's been missing.
Do we have the right people to pull it off? I'm not saying we don't, only that we saw little sign of it this season. Our defense lacked identity every bit as much as our offense. Yes, we may have already covered most of the reasons...but maybe we haven't either. No matter what, we need our Defensive Coordinator to step up, step forward and "take the bull by the balls!". He doesn't have to do this publicly--with closed practices, we might hardly hear about it except third hand (we've got Zooker for those situations)--that doesn't matter. We will see the results on the field, and that'll be just fine. More than fine.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Good news. I just looked on WikiLeaks.com and noticed that next to the secret plans to the F-22 Raptor were the blueprints for the 3-headed QB Monster. Urban Meyer has decided that since the Chinese know the secrets to our Chinese Fire Drill offense that we will stop using that $hit and use a real offense. For operational security, Meyer will not be sharing those offensive plans with Steve Addazio.

This just in...Steve Addazio was confirmed to be a Chinese spy. We will be issuing him a fake headset and microphone so that he cannot call any plays in or read the plays to his handler.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Good news. I just looked on WikiLeaks.com and noticed that next to the secret plans to the F-22 Raptor were the blueprints for the 3-headed QB Monster. Urban Meyer has decided that since the Chinese know the secrets to our Chinese Fire Drill offense that we will stop using that $hit and use a real offense.

Well, now that the secret is out, might as well let everyone have a peak at those secret plays....

(don't tell anyone....it's a secret!)

ADDAZIO.jpg

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Emmitt served on some crappy teams that lost a lot of games. We were lucky to have him.

ON a show called the Best Damn Sports Show Period when Michael Irvin was host, he said the U tried to get Emmitt but luckily Emmitt's HS coach refused because the coach said they (The U) passed the ball too much.

Escambia94

ON a show called the Best Damn Sports Show Period when Michael Irvin was host, he said the U tried to get Emmitt but luckily Emmitt's HS coach refused because the coach said they (The U) passed the ball too much.

That sounds about right. I grew up around Emmitt's younger brothers. The Florida offense matched the Escambia offense exactly--run left, run right, and on occasion run up the middle.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The way I remember it, Emmit was "penciled in" as a Gator from the time he was in middle school--certainly we heard about him that early, that he was tearing it up in the Panhandle and his mom was a big Gator fan, wanted him in G-ville, PLUS his HS-coach steered him away from any consideration of the "U" at the end of the process (after all, Miami was on the way to building its hottest, highest profile at the national level in those years, JJ was grabbing up the best in-state talent, so there was reason to fear).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
BTW, this thread being entitled "Embarrassed", it's the best place to note a few impressions from this weekend's games...
Watching the SEC Championship, I am unimpressed by EITHER of these teams--which doesn't say much for OUR play. While we shouldn't have been surprised by the continued futility of our offense when it went up against the Gamecock's (or practically ANYONE'S) "D", more than ever I AM embarrassed by the fact that OUR defense couldn't do a better job against their offense as I watch them today. Aside from Lattimer, they've got very little; Garcia couldn't hit the broad side of the proverbial barn! He's like Brantley without the strength to OVERthrow his receivers (he just misses them).
I DO want to revisit a comment I made much earlier in the season. While I acknowledged after the Miami (Ohio) game how poorly prepared we were and how that boded ill for this team and the season ahead, I ALSO predicted that "this team was NOT a one-win team anymore", as they'd been the year before. Last night they knocked off 25th-ranked No. Illinois to win the MAC Championship--not exactly the pinnacle of college football play, but at least SOME explanation of how and why this Gator team had as much trouble against them as it did. Of course, the fact that we were poorly prepared, poorly led, and yes, poorly coached had a great deal to do with this and later problems and disappointments, to be sure.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
That sounds about right. I grew up around Emmitt's younger brothers. The Florida offense matched the Escambia offense exactly--run left, run right, and on occasion run up the middle.

Emmitt was smart of going to a school with a system which was perfect for him (and the same as his High School) and also leaving for when Spurrier took over.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
yall are old lol j/k i dont remember any emmitt the first gator team i really remember was 94 when we beat undefeated bama in the SEC title game

When I lived in Alabama as a kid back in the 60's, the only way I could hear Gator games was on shortwave radio. And, I listened to all of Steve Spurrier's games. Back then, there was only one college game on TV on Saturdays...that was it. If the Gators were on TV just once during any year, it was a real treat. Nothing like it is today.

My first games I attended was in the fall of 1968 as a freshman at UF, and Jack Youngblood and Larry Smith were the big name Gator players.

My first season tickets were in 1973, when Nat Moore was a senior and the big star of the team. I was at the Alabama game where his leg was broken and ended his Gator career. These were the Doug Dickey days. You want frustration? Wow, Urban can't hold a candle to Dickey. Now that's a Gator grad that ran the program into the ground, and was responsible for the 0-10-1 season in 1979. It was Pell's first year, but they were all Dickey's recruits. 7 win seasons were pretty much the norm, 8 wins was great, and 9 wins in one season was almost unheard of!

Plus, you missed the probation years, when the Gators were not on TV at all. The only TV broadcast of those games were the late night replays on Saturday night.

After Kerwin graduated, Emmitt was the only bright spot in Gator football for 3 years. Not only was it Emmitt left, Emmitt right, and Emmitt up the middle, it was Emmitt everything. Emmitt should have been UF's 2nd Heisman Trophy winner, he was that good. Emmitt suffered more from probation than anyone else did. That's a guy I will always have a soft spot in my heart for!

Escambia94

When I lived in Alabama as a kid back in the 60's, the only way I could hear Gator games was on shortwave radio. And, I listened to all of Steve Spurrier's games. Back then, there was only one college game on TV on Saturdays...that was it. If the Gators were on TV just once during any year, it was a real treat. Nothing like it is today.

My first games I attended was in the fall of 1968 as a freshman at UF, and Jack Youngblood and Larry Smith were the big name Gator players.

My first season tickets were in 1973, when Nat Moore was a senior and the big star of the team. I was at the Alabama game where his leg was broken and ended his Gator career. These were the Doug Dickey days. You want frustration? Wow, Urban can't hold a candle to Dickey. Now that's a Gator grad that ran the program into the ground, and was responsible for the 0-10-1 season in 1979. It was Pell's first year, but they were all Dickey's recruits. 7 win seasons were pretty much the norm, 8 wins was great, and 9 wins in one season was almost unheard of!

Plus, you missed the probation years, when the Gators were not on TV at all. The only TV broadcast of those games were the late night replays on Saturday night.

After Kerwin graduated, Emmitt was the only bright spot in Gator football for 3 years. Not only was it Emmitt left, Emmitt right, and Emmitt up the middle, it was Emmitt everything. Emmitt should have been UF's 2nd Heisman Trophy winner, he was that good. Emmitt suffered more from probation than anyone else did. That's a guy I will always have a soft spot in my heart for!

Thanks for the perspective. I don't think any of us go back that far. I was a toddler during the 0-10-1 year and I can remember my uncle telling me stories. My first memories are of Wayne Peace and Kerwin Bell. I can remember the excitement of Emmitt and his family as he signed on to Florida. Pensacola is pretty much split down the middle as a UF/FSU town, so I thank Emmitt for tipping the scales back towards UF for the panhandle. My uncle still helps in the booth with Escambia football games.

Back on topic, we can all agree that this is not the worst team in history. The question is whether we are seeing signs of another decline. 7-5 this year, but what about next year? And the next? This could be like the 7-4 teams of the 1988-1989 era, but without an Emmitt Smith or decent defense. What do you think?

G8RB8R

VIP Member
The question is whether we are seeing signs of another decline. 7-5 this year, but what about next year? And the next? This could be like the 7-4 teams of the 1988-1989 era, but without an Emmitt Smith or decent defense. What do you think?

The only reason there was a decline in the mid/late 80's was due to scholarship restrictions due to probation. We lost the recruiting wars to f$u and scUM. They became powerhouses because UF was next to dead for 3 years. Otherwise, alot of those players would have been at UF, too. Emmitt was the aberration. Without Emmitt, the fall would have been worse.

Spurrier brought excitement back into the program in 1990 & renewed interest. Right now, there is no excitement, and everyone seems to be dreading next year already. Meyer can regain some of that excitement by shaking up the coaching staff. We need some exciting asst coaches to rebuild confidence in the program. Those coaches will in turn bring in the recruits that can bring back our dominance in the SEC.

Meyer is in a bad spot. As a manager, he must make the decision to get rid of the dead weight on his staff, some of which are his friends. That is always a bad situation, but it has to be done. If not this year, next year. Until he does, there will continue to be a total lack of confidence by the fan base, and eventually by the players themselves.

Escambia94

Okay, so other than Jeff Driskel, who brings excitement to the 2011 Gators? I am not ready to give up on Urban Meyer III yet, but I have written off Steven Eugene Charlene Addazio. The coaching excitement discussion is another thread. Actually, I think I counted five threads on Addazio alone, one on Meyer, plus 5,327 hits on Google against Addazio. For this thread, who in 2011 will bring excitement that will stop the embarrassment?

Driskel
Powell
Easly
Mack Brown
Robert Clark
One of the juniors or seniors? Another frosh or sophomore?

G8RB8R

VIP Member
You mean, what new player(s) can bring excitement & renewed interest (Tebowesque) despite (or inspite of) the poor coaching?

I don't think anyone has given up on Meyer....this year is only a difficult set-back. Just look at Texas this year. Some house cleaning needs to occur, that's all. But I will say this. Ever since Meyer "retired" then came back last year, the spark seems to have gone out of the program.

Escambia94

You mean, what new player(s) can bring excitement & renewed interest (Tebowesque) despite (or inspite of) the poor coaching?

I don't think anyone has given up on Meyer....this year is only a difficult set-back. Just look at Texas this year. Some house cleaning needs to occur, that's all. But I will say this. Ever since Meyer "retired" then came back last year, the spark seems to have gone out of the program.

I hate to use the term "Tebow-esque", because quite frankly I am ready to move on. I know that there should have been a drop-off on offense, but not THIS bad. Then I thought about it and realized that our primary receivers this year were 2nd and 3rd string. Throw in team chemistry. The receivers on this team are either about to graduate or are a few months removed from high school--very little in the middle. Let's assume JB is a great passer, better than Tebow. So what? A QB is more than a passer. Ask Dan Marino how many SuperBowls he has won by being the best passer in history. As Joe Montana what it's like to be a QB that was too small, too skinny, and not as outgoing as most QBs, yet still win four SuperBowls. Back to Tebow, Brantley and the Gators. Tebow could depend on Harvin, Cooooooop, Hernandez, and others to catch a pass, ugly or pretty. Brantley's receivers all sat behind those guys for a reason. I see more spark from the freshmen, and this year should be enough experience for next year. What JB still needs is a roommate he can throw to, a la Tebow to Cooper. They don't really have to be roommates, but there needs to be chemistry.

New players means new chemistries. The veterans lived in the Era of Good Times when good things just happened, with little adversity. The young kids are all facing adversity together, but need a leader to pull those experiences together. They need a coach that will channel those experiences into good practice sessions and good gameday execution.

What we need is for Meyer to completely recover from his retirement, for him to recognize the problem and accept that his coaching staff failed him as much as he failed them (but he makes more money so he gets to call the shots with personnel), for Meyer to change the coaching around as he sees fit, and for those assistants to build the team according to his Plan to Win. This means that the veterans need to stop acting like prima donnas and mentor the youngsters knowing that the veterans are probably too old to see a championship team--it ain't gonna happen in 2011. It COULD happen in 2012 if the right players step up in 2011 and align all the pieces.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema