• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Embarrassed

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
We look like we looked all year. (sh#t). No heart, no passion, bad coaching, bad offense, bad defense nothing has truly changed except the date.

jamestoney84

Gator Fan
I hope UF gets completely embarassed and feel even more sh*tty. Reach an even lower point and realize how f*cking bad we are. I hope Meyer feels like shit.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I can't wait until our bowl game. Let's let Miami or Penn State beat up on us! Yay!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, what fun. In the meantime, think I'll go and roll around in broken glass. It's great to be a Florida Gator.

GoGators01

Gator Fan
in some ways id rather skip a bowl game and think about next year, but those extra practices u get make it worth it and this team definitely needs it. it sucks we'll have brantley as the starter for another year.

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
Just a few thoughts from the game. FIrst off I think what the Gators are really missing is leadership. Meyer has hinted at this but after watching the game it really became clear to me we have none. Thats my biggest dissapointment in Brantley this year. Not his stats because I really don't blame him for the position he has been put in but I believe if he showed more emotions and leadership skills on the field that might change at least some of the negative outlook on him. I assume it happens every few years when some skilled leaders go off to the NFL you are left with a team with no one ready to step up into that spot. Another thing I noticed is while our recievers always seem to have someone clinging to them the Noles receivers seemed to be wide open. I read the injury BS and all that but I am tired of excuses. Its been that way the whole year. And one I saw coming a mile away this year was the no pash rush. We haven't had one since 06. I'm sure that had alot to do with their recievers being open but when I read Jelani Jenkins say in the paper today they did a great job of picking up our blitzes before we even got there I guess we didn't do a good enough job of disguising them it really made me think about how bad our coaching has gotten on both ends. I will say I have no doubt Meyer will right the ship as he says but he has to wait till after recruiting season to do anything with the coaching positions.

Final thought was hearing Meyer say he is going back to what got him there. Tough ass players and coaches. I sure hope he gets alot more involved as he was before his health problems but I can't help but wonder if he is going to be getting away from the small, quick backs and get someone with some size and power. I would rather have someone that can pound out 5 every play and wear a D down than a speedster who might bust 1 or two longs ones throughout the game. Anyways, lets dive into recruiting now and see what happens!

Escambia94

This year showed us that a tame Urban Meyer just doesn't cut it. Look at pictures of UM in any year before 2010, and in the 2010 games against Georgia, Vanderbilt, USCe, and Appalachian State--he looks fired up. Look at any 2010 game before Georgia and you see a shadow of the former Urban Meyer.

Next year, Urban Meyer needs to take on just a little more stress, get a lot more fired up, and inject some fire into his fellow coaches and into his players. We need a year of angry Gators with a chip on their shoulder.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uh, we need a little more than "a little more"--but I take your meaning and agree.
Someone else was the first to point this out, but it bares repeating:
"You only THOUGHT you were having a heart attack, Urban. Turned out you didn't, nothing like it, and with a little medicine you're fine. Those young men walk through hell for you getting ready in the heat of summer, then go out there and literally tear themselves up for the sake of the team and your success. Their injuries are REAL. How can you ask for, DEMAND that kind of passion and commitment and not give the same yourself?" ...and you haven't this past season, Coach. It was obvious.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
You could see this coming last year. It was really evident in the SECCG in Atlanta vs Bama. We just barely got by LSU. This year was just more of the same thing, only worse. The difference was Tebow, who carried the team.

The one thing that I absolutely never see us do, and this was a tactic that Spurrier constantly stressed....stretch the field. Little dink & dunk swing passes just keeps more of the opponents defense on the line, which then has an easier time overwhelming the O-line.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You could see this coming last year. It was really evident in the SECCG in Atlanta vs Bama. We just barely got by LSU. This year was just more of the same thing, only worse. The difference was Tebow, who carried the team.

The one thing that I absolutely never see us do, and this was a tactic that Spurrier constantly stressed....stretch the field. Little dink & dunk swing passes just keeps more of the opponents defense on the line, which then has an easier time overwhelming the O-line.

Exactly right on both accounts.
"When ya gonna throw it long? Ya gotta stretch the field!"
Been making this very point repeatedly throughout the season, screaming it during games, then raising it here afterwards. Practically everyone here has long since gotten tired of asking why.
Even if they do want to run that clunky, unimaginative dink-dunk-n-dive offense of Addazio's with "The Tight Spiral Overthrower" at QB, they need him to at least TRY a long one now and then if they're to have ANY hope of keeping the defense from teeing off on every otherwise predictable play. Meanwhile, he's supposed to have this great arm, "throws a beautiful ball", but that's the one thing that is never called for? I'm sorry, y'all know and have been through this again and again, but I just have to say it one more time:
"Enough! The evidence is in on BOTH of them:
Addazio AND Brantley must be set aside."

(OK. Point has been made--and then some. I'm going to try to turn my focus to defense, in on-the-field matters, and the recruiting trail, for players AND coaches, off of it.)

Escambia94

I won't lie. I didn't see this coming. I bought into the Sugar Bowl version of the team and thought, "Wow. Brantley might look good on that offense, not as good as Tebow, but good enough to win 9 or 10 games." I saw Ahmad Black, Janoris Jenkins, Moses Jenkins, Will Hill, and a host of great youngsters on defense, a veteran o-line, Rainey, Demps, and a host of youngsters on offense and thought, "We are just reloading, not rebuilding."

Obviously I was dead wrong, as was most of the Gator Nation. Rainey's suspension and Demps' injury were understandable, but what went wrong with the o-line? I get it, they were injured too. Perhaps they would not have been injured so much if they were bullying the defenses around and not letting the defense bully them around. They weren't coached well, because the o-line coach was busy also running the offense and apparently is not up to the task. Urban Meyer backed off too much this year. The defense did its job somewhat--it finished in the top 10 in total defense despite the large number of youngsters.

Escambia94's opinion is all throughout this forum:
- The offense can be fixed in '11 with JB at QB, as long as there is a dependable RB and a dual-threat QB.
- The offense will be on fire in '12 with the dual-threat QB and a dependable RB.
- The defense looks to be in good shape for '11 with these youngsters.
- Team chemistry will be better in '11 without prima donna seniors being jerks to the youngsters.
- Urban Meyer is the key to the whole equation. He needs to take on more than before until he can grow his next crop of good assistants. He needs to take on the OC position, or promote someone else as co-OC.
- The '11 recruits need to have faith in UF and Meyer's Plan to Win.
- The Gator fans should hold off on calling for Meyer's head for a year or two.
- Gator fans should not hold their collective breath that Addazio is going anywhere.
- Face it, this is our offense. It's not Boise State's pass-first spread--it's closer to Michigan's run-first spread.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Is this your final summation, "Escambria'94's Ultimate Summation: Gators '10, and Their Future"?
OK, E-, here's what I think: This was your "optimistic version".
Now, baring in mind your "pessimistic version" (I won't demand to see it now, but I KNOW--and YOU know--you have one close-at-hand; I've SEEN it, also spread "throughout this forum"), I suggest you give us your "realistic version". Some folks (the "half empty"-folks, like me?) might maintain that that's the same as a pessimistic one, but I don't think that in this case. At the same time, "what should be" is beside the point: a certain portion of the above list you know just isn't what's going to happen, given the people involved.
I DO want to give you props for managing as upbeat and even-handed a view in the context of the disappointment that you outlined leading up to it--you were not alone in any of it, of course. Even after coming into August convinced that we were "in transition" and would "likely lose 3 games this season" (I wasn't so "right" even then, believing that this would be part of a "growing together as a team" that would leave us "dangerous, no one wanting to play us by the end of the year"--HA!), I too bought into all that talk (the themes you cover in your first paragraph) from Gator Central and the preseason rags. I knew we were in trouble by halftime of Game 1 against Miami (Ohio), though; I kept thinking, "All that time, spring and summer and 2-a-days thru' August and this team shows up not-ready-to-play?" In fact, "unprepared" is the one constant throughout this past season, our "identity" on offense, really, now that I think of it.
Oh well. "They" will either do something about it or "they" won't (the quotes are there 'cause I'm leaving it open, my last vestige of optimism in this matter--it is still up to Meyer whether the OC will be Addazio, someone new brought in, or Meyer himself...we live and hope).
Taking a page from you and others in the last couple of days, I'm turning my attention to the defense. With a couple of timely recruits and the talent we already have about to really begin to assert themselves, with better coaching this could be a very strong unit, eventually able to dominate in true SEC style. THAT kind of "D" can mask a lot of deficiencies on offense--give even THIS year's offense the ball back over and over again via turnovers and 3-and-outs and eventually they'll roll over the opponent's exhausted defense, instead of ours. That IS one formula for success in the SEC: strong special teams, dominant, stifling defense and a serviceable offense that doesn't turn the ball over, and you win. Often. I read that somewhere. Someone's "Plan", or something.

Escambia94

I am cautiously optimistic about the offense. We screwed the defense when we went from the run-first Plan to Win to the Chinese Fire Drill. If you don't know what I mean about the Chinese Fire Drill, imagine three cars full of teenagers going from The Oaks Mall to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and at every stoplight or stop sign on Newberry everyone jumps out of the car and runs into a different car before the light changes or within 30 seconds at a stop sign, sometimes even swapping out drivers. Sometimes all five people in one car and six in the other will jump into the '68 Beetle, sometimes nobody will jump into the '76 Duster, or nobody will get in the driver's seat of the '81 El Camino. In other words, utter chaos that leads no leaders, total confusion, and lots of illegal shifts. Well, the defense was built for speed and was not on the field for more than 30 minutes. We screwed the defense by switching mid-stream from "ball-control" (using the term loosely) to Chinese Fire Drill, but by being on the field for more than 30 minutes we saw who the future stars were. Powell, Floyd, and Easley showed more endurance and conditioning than many veterans. Will Hill and Jeremy Brown just plain quit on defense after a while.

I'm not too worried about defense. Teryl Austin and Chuck Heater are doing well. Our young players are fast, but I worry about the defensive linemen not eating quarterbacks and the linebackers not hitting hard. Powell is doing well in both categories. Jelani Jenkins might come back--he gets the E94 stamp of approval. Will Hill had one or two good games, but he needed to have eight or nine more good ones.

Assuming we dump the Chinese Fire Drill offense, our defense should be okay next year.

Escambia94

Okay, I just had more coffee. It is possible that I am being too optimistic on the defense. There is the old saying, "When the offense is struggling, the 2nd string QB is the most popular guy on the team." It is possible that "when the defense is struggling, the untested freshmen are the most popular guys on the team".

What does everyone else think?

G8RB8R

VIP Member
What does everyone else think?

I think that Meyer & staff are starting to remind me of Galen Hall & staff,
although I have not seen him biting his fingernails, yet.

galenurban.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema