• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dwyer QB not 100% on UF

espn760

Gator Fan
ESPN 760 in West Palm Beach, FL is reporting that Dwyer QB Jacoby Brissett isn't exactly packing his bags for Gainsville. Both Brissett and his head coach Jack Daniels confirmed that he will be taking his final visit to Washington. They also said that Brissett "holds a grudge" against UF due to Urban asking him to grey shirt.

The entire story can be found at on the ESPN 760 website in Herb Uzzi's blog. Sorry can't put up a link.

If he holds a Grudge against a program as great as ours, maybe he needs to pack his bags and go to big bad washington. The hells wrong with this kid.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I would not hold a grudge against the kid's grudge. A gray shirt means "I don't think you are good enough to red shirt and I am over on scholarship players this fall. Why don't you sit around for another year and miss spring practice and the fall season...with no scholarship?" Brissett probably caught the eye of Loeffler or another recruiter, but did not fit the Urban Meyer plan. Under the new coaches, he still might not fit. If I were a QB coming out of high school, I would probably not go to Florida this year knowing they snagged the #1 QB and All-American. Sometimes that is a tough pill to swallow, that you are not the #1 at your dream school. Look for this kid to go to a rival school and for espn to play the story of him getting spurned by the Gators. This happens all around the country every year, guys. Remember Aaron Murray from UGA? They played the story up about how he tried to get into Florida, his dream school, until he was spurned by the thought of sitting behind Brantley and some QBs named Jordan Reed and Tyler Murphy. This brings up another point. Most big schools have 5-10 QBs on the roster who were all top dog somewhere in high school. Most of them never see a meaningful snap. This guy needs to figure out if he is that guy, or if he wants to try a smaller school that only has 3-6 QBs on its roster. Even then, most of those guys do not play either, and many of them were no slouches in high school.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Yeah you can't blame a kid for not wanting to go to a school in the same class as Driskel. Plus it seems like Florida doesn't have a lot of interest in him. Some recruiting services don't have UF listed on his interested schools, and those that do confirm he hasn't had an offer from them.

If he does end up wanting to be at Florida, redshirting or greyshirting to separate himself from Driskel would be a good idea.

JvilleJohnny

I think it is more of Charlie Weis' interest more than anything. I think he was the first recruit he visited. Please forgive my previous post as I was not at my best at the time. haha ;)

but yea I probably wouldn't go to a school with 3 or 4 QBs in front of me, unless i was an extreme competitor and felt that I could win the starting job. Maybe he doesn't think he's as good as Brantley or Driskel. He still might end up a Gator.

Though I don't know why Weis is recruiting a dual threat QB with him installing a pro-style offense. Interesting.

Escambia94

this kid is one of the best QB's in the country urban was crazy offering a grey shirt

Briskett is rated as the #9 QB in the galaxy. Driskel is rated #1. I'd gray shirt the kid knowing I have a redshirt senior (JB4), a redshirt sophomore (Reed), and a sophomore (Murphy) available at QB. Also throw in the other three QBs on the roster, two of them with scholarships, and you have a crowded roster. The gray shirt also lets you go over the scholarship limit, at least until NSD.

Though I don't know why Weis is recruiting a dual threat QB with him installing a pro-style offense. Interesting.

Good question.

dual threat doesn't mean run first it means you can run when you gotta

and even at #9 he's still much better then a grey shirt and still top in the country. you never know how driskel is gonna pan out ive seen plenty top QB's flop hard as hell

remember kyle wright? he was the best QB in the country and failed horribly in miami

also jordan reed might not even be a QB anymore who knows him or murphy

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
All true--AND who KNOWS what Urban was thinking at the time vis-a-vis the QB position...I mean, it all kind of exemplifies the "fog" that had settled over the program by that point.
But Weis and Co. are interested enough now, WHATEVER the reasons, to themselves offer him a valuable slot at one of the absolute elite schools. The idea of letting a grudge against the previous regime get in the way is stupid, lame enough to seem BS, really: you want a guy who believes in himself and his skills enough to take that opportunity and make the most of it--that's the attitude required to succeed, anyway, and anything else is just excuses, ya know? Better to just move on, then, go search out a "big fish, small pond" situation (following the Locker-bust at UW may be just the lowered expectations such an individual is looking for).

robdog

Gator Fan
Well dammit! Now that Myer is gone is more willing to come to UF instead of Washington??? I mean come on... Washington over UF?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's what I mean: it seems pretty straight forward--unless deep down you don't really believe you HAVE those kind of skills, that you want something handed to you from folks who've gotten used to mediocrity.

JvilleJohnny

dual threat doesn't mean run first it means you can run when you gotta

and even at #9 he's still much better then a grey shirt and still top in the country. you never know how driskel is gonna pan out ive seen plenty top QB's flop hard as hell

remember kyle wright? he was the best QB in the country and failed horribly in miami

also jordan reed might not even be a QB anymore who knows him or murphy

I'm not sure which he is better at (running or passing)

but dual threat to me means that to use him effectively you would install a spread or option offense, trickery. so you never know who has the ball.

But im not a coach.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, J-villeJ, you have a better grasp of the QB position in modern college ball than our last OC had!
Now, where all this leaves John Brantley, and questions regarding the degree to which Weis and Co, are able to both retrieve his broken psyche AND adapt an offense around his (still to be demonstrated in crunch time) skills, if either (let alone both) are even possible, must be driving their interest in adding another promising prospect at the QB position in ADDITION to the highly promising Driskel.

Escambia94

It's not fair to John Brantley IV, but I as a fan will not be satisfied unless he proves he was worth the hype, worth the wait, worth the nod over the other QBs (veteran or rookie) and worth the 5-loss season. Actually it has less to do with the five losses and more with the embarrassing manner in which we lost. Even the Texas Longhorn QB rated higher and looked better than Brantley in his six losses.

I'm not an OC or QB coach, but JB4 has shown me nothing to convince me he should get the starting position over Reed, Murphy, Driskel, any incoming QB, or even the kid that lives down the street from me. I'll take this Dwyer QB if he wants to come. I'll take anybody who truly earns the starting position.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's not fair to John Brantley IV, but I as a fan will not be satisfied unless he proves he was worth the hype, worth the wait, worth the nod over the other QBs (veteran or rookie) and worth the 5-loss season. Actually it has less to do with the five losses and more with the embarrassing manner in which we lost. Even the Texas Longhorn QB rated higher and looked better than Brantley in his six losses.

I'm not an OC or QB coach, but JB4 has shown me nothing to convince me he should get the starting position over Reed, Murphy, Driskel, any incoming QB, or even the kid that lives down the street from me. I'll take this Dwyer QB if he wants to come. I'll take anybody who truly earns the starting position.

Absotively, Posolutely, Bottomline.
(...And I don't believe Weis can afford to spend much time on rebuilding a "shattered psyche" this Spring, let alone let it spill into the summer and the coming season. Either JB sucks it up, shows some moxie and blossoms quickly in the new system, seizes the moment in the manner originally expected of him, or it'll be time to move on--someone WILL step up. For example, better to see Driskel learning-on-the-job, out there a year early but preparing for 2012, than to waste ANOTHER season waiting for #12 to live up to his much-hyped talent.)

in weis offense i wouldnt be surprised if JB did really good cassel and brady never really run but JB has to stop being a freaking statue tho and get outta the pocket and get some more time to make a play

if he cant do that he'll be benched by midseason, no way muschamp is letting a whole season go down the drain like urban did last yr with that 3 QB stuff

JvilleJohnny

Well, to effectively use JB4's skills in a pro-style offense, you are going to need to give him time to drop back and go through his reads. That means an offensive line who can actually block somebody. This past year, every time he dropped back to pass he already had DE's in his face. And that was with a veteran offensive line. I don't know who exactly is returning from last year on o-line, but I do know its going to be a work in progress with freshman and sophomores starting.

So, it may be in best interest to keep certain elements of the spread option attack (with Driskel or Reed) to get our playmakers outside the tackles. And install a new pro-style wrinkle to throw in at random times.

Escambia94

The spread offense involves a lot of horizontal throwing and running to the edges. The Weis offense is a vertical game. The Patriots modified the Weis offense after he left with horizontal plays (borrowed from Urban Meyer and others, oddly enough), so I doubt Weis would re-insert spread plays...especially since many complainers I hear on other forums hate the spread in any variant even though it got us two national championships.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema