• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Does OU run a variation

Of the fun n gun, its more of a pro style hybrid offense though but. They have used the Emory and Henry formation numerous times. After all Stoops and Spurrier are Bf's.

Sooner_Bob

Gator Fan
Well, I dont want to show my ignorance of football but I will do my best to answer. First off I cant tell you exactly what the Fun n Gun is.

I would say OU's offense is unique not because it runs things that nobody else does, but because we could run a full out Spread attack for a whole game or a Two Tight/I formation offense the whole game. Also, we throw the ball downfield more than your typical spread offense(I've heard more than anyone else in the country but not sure). The thing that makes our offense difficult to defend is that we can do both types of offense with little to no substitutions. That allows us to run our no huddle AND switch up or 'philosophy' of play calling on the same drive.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I would not classify the OU offense as a variation of the Fun N Gun--there is too much of a running game and dependence on tight ends. If anything, it's in its own class of offense.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Hmmm, I expect OU to run some trick plays...maybe some wildcat type stuff. Ole Miss has some decent success with it against us.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
If our regular spread offense is working, there will be no need for trick plays.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Well remember in 2006 when we did that sick trick play vs Kentucky and scored? I would not be surprised if the first play of the game was a trick play.

I would. We cannot afford to do a risky play like that...well maybe we can, but OU will make us pay a lot more than Kentucky in 2006. Even if we got a TD in one play, OU's offense is so good, a 1 score lead doesn't mean much.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
Hmmm, I expect OU to run some trick plays...maybe some wildcat type stuff. Ole Miss has some decent success with it against us.

OU doesnt run trick plays. I am sure they have some, but they do not have to do it. OU's offense in case you haven't heard, is a very potent offense.

The trick in OU's offense is the no huddle. They can run the I, spread, single back out of the no huddle with minimal subs. That is one reason it is very hard to defend.

I would. We cannot afford to do a risky play like that...well maybe we can, but OU will make us pay a lot more than Kentucky in 2006. Even if we got a TD in one play, OU's offense is so good, a 1 score lead doesn't mean much.

Well they ve done it several times this season, to start of the SC game we did, Never know what to expect from Meyer and Mullen's last game with Meyer.

OU doesnt lean on one side of the offense. its very balanced. the trick to it is the no-huddle. sometimes the line up and snap almost instantly ,and sometimes they all look up for 7-10 seconds to check the play from the sideline. The other trick, previously mentioned, is that they can run any offense in coordination with this no huddle. run, pass, it doesnt matter. Sam doesnt depend on one guy. thats why OU has multiple receivers with alot of stats. I would say tho that TE Gresham and WR Iglesias could be called Sams "go-to" guys, but Broyles and Johnson catch alot of passes. Gresham is no easy guy to tackle. Hes got a few LONG tds, all with lots of YAC.

What will hurt OU is Murray being out. Murray catches alot of passes out of the backfield. Brown doesnt so much, but Mossis Madu is very capable of catching, he just hasnt played very much to do so, thus many OU fans question Madu's ability.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema