• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Defensive Back U?

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
Heard this quoted on various sites, and take last year for instance. Despite our HORRIBLE record, Florida was ranked in the Top 15 in every defensive category. In fact, just take a look at what Muschamp has done DEFENSIVELY for Florida. Take away the empty cupboard year, and you have the best defenses in the nation. VHIII came to Florida because he saw Matt Elam and Jenkins become elite players. On the same side, when you have top tier backs, you create monsters on the defensive line who get those extra seconds to pressure the QB which in turn give back opportunity to the DBs when the QB tries to force plays under pressure. If Roper opens up our Offense like I think he will, then Muschamp will be at Florida for a long long time. Florida has always been offense offense offense. Sure we had defenses, but none as good as 2012's. I'm actually more excited when the other team gets the ball because I love watching our defense so much.

I'll come back to this at the end of the year. I'm not a Muschamp homer, but I'm also a realist and understand what 11 injured starters can do to a team. I know a lot of people will disagree, but for now, he's our Coach and he has half of the puzzle complete. Can Roper deliver?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
This just shows that Florida has great success developing fast, agile athletes. Historically the high schools give UF a large pipeline of fast athletes to develop into good defensive backs, running backs, kick returners, and slot receivers.

Muschamp really is good with developing these defensive backs, but we need him to keep an eye on running backs, kick returners, and slot receivers by hiring and keeping the right coaches.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
This just shows that Florida has great success developing fast, agile athletes. Historically the high schools give UF a large pipeline of fast athletes to develop into good defensive backs, running backs, kick returners, and slot receivers.

Muschamp really is good with developing these defensive backs, but we need him to keep an eye on running backs, kick returners, and slot receivers by hiring and keeping the right coaches.

My opinion is split on this, only because of how much we don't know from last year.

Was the offense we watched last year Muschamp holding Brent Pease back like most people assumed? Or did Pease prove that what worked in Boise wouldn't work in the SEC?

Muschamps overall "defense first" plan is exactly what 'Bama has won titles with. The only part we didn't have was an Offense that could make methodical drives that win time of possession AND puts points on the board. Then your defense is rested during drives and is playing lights out ever defensive series. Imagine 2012s defense if they weren't on the field more than the offense, ....crazy good.

I almost feel like Muschamp needs an OC that he can just give the keys to the offense too and say "you take care of that and put points on the board, I'll focus on getting you the ball back". After all, calling a defensive play requires much more to consider than calling an offensive one. The defense has essentially win every play, the offense just needs to win one.

Duke had some very creative playcalling in the ACC title game, and with the talent we have I could see a very exciting offense coming on to the field. Just putting Driskel back into a shotgun/spread offense is a huge improvement.

I just fear that given our schedule and Muschamps "must win" job review, if he is fired then we'll be losing a defensive genius and I wouldn't doubt if he ended up on another SEC team as D coordinator. Spurrier didn't give South Carolina a winning season for like 5 seasons, yet he isn't being challenged for the job by its fanbase. Why Muschamp?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
My assumption is that Muschamp learned somewhere in the middle of the season that he made a mistake keeping both Brent Pease and Tim Davis in 2013. Due to his lack of experience as head coach, he probably figured that the offensive woes would clear up around the LSU game. Once he realized that it was not just the injured Driskel and Murphy that were the problem, but the poor execution by the skill players in tandem with the offensive line. Once Murphy was injured against LSU, it was too late. The Gators still could have eked out a couple wins if he ordered Brent Pease to go nuts on offense, assuming Pease was not clashing with Davis.

In summary, the Gators were screwed on day 1 of the 2013 season, and it was too late. I believe that Muschamp has learned to both let go of the offense and hire the right mix of coaches. The one thing working against him is luck. How many more players are we going to lose for the season due to dumb luck? Jake McGee transferred in from Virginia Tech as the highest rated prospect on the offense, and now his year is done! What the heck?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema