• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chris Rainey

GoGators01

Gator Fan
According to the "only gators get out alive" twitter page, rivals has reported that chris rainey has rejoined the team. That report hasn't been confirmed yet though.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I will bet that Urban Meyer only let Rainey back on the team after Rainey texted to him, "Time to die...if you don't let me play this week."

Too bad Rainey is in no position to lead the team back on track. I would hope that if the rumor is true, that Brantley would step up now and say, "We got Rainey back. Let's reverse our trend of sucking. Go Gators. Rah, rah."

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
I still think this was taken way out of proportion. If this were any other person....(no a football player) we would have heard nothing about this. Do I think he was smart for texting that no....but I also do not think it justified the over-reaction!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ya think?!! It was WAY over-the-top--and not at all in keeping with Meyer's previous handling's in worse cases. All about timing and PR, I'm afraid...
Then there's my whole view regarding "Old" Urban and "New" Urban, whereby this contrast fits right in, but the main point here is that Rainey should have been back and working his way back onto the team and into the coaches' good graces WEEKS ago.
Stupid, spiteful and short-sited; did no one any good that I can see.

Escambia94

We all know how the media works. Steal a laptop, no big deal. Bust a cap on a fool, get a slap on the wrist. Text death threats to a woman, you get the Politically Correct Detention Facility.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
No one approves of what Rainey did ... but as Gator fans we should be OK with him getting a second chance. If Ray Lewis (murderer), Leonard Little (murderer) and Michael Vick (dog murderer) get second chances then I think it's OK for Rainey to get one.

Having Rainey on the team wouldn't have helped us beat Bama ... it might have helped us beat LSU. I have faith in Urban.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
What Rainey did was stupid; he acted out in frustration and didn't think on his choice of words to express how he felt - and that got him in trouble.

Now he regrets what he did, but he's paying the price for his stupidity. Depending on the severity of the infraction, Urban gives some players second chances; given the fact that this was only Rainey's first screw-up he's been allowed back at practice, but won't see playing time unless he meets certain requirements - that means he's still doing penance for his sin.

Maybe somebody should give Rainey this line from the movie "Glengarry Glen Ross": "You NEVER open your mouth, 'til you know what the shot is."

The Zooker

VIP Member
Rainey has a long history of saying stupid things he really doesn't mean. I remember reading about Urban asking him a question and telling him not to answer him yet. Urban would tell him to go home and write down his answer one hundred times and come back tomorrow to give the answer.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That whole episode was part of a gathering storm of warnings, incidents and finally full manifestation of the team's ills. By now it is clear that not having Rainey was just one more facet of crisis stripping bare the stark reality of the true problem: There is a sickness at the heart of our program.
We have so much talent, speed and depth that even with all of the losses (putting aside for the moment the fact that so many of those came as a result of missteps arising from that sickness), a well run program could have, SHOULD have carried on with head held high. There are times when a wounded team can fight on, noble even in defeat. Instead, we beat ourselves. That is one more mark of poor COACHING.

GoGators01

Gator Fan
i know someone who's a southern cal fan and he's questioning the integrity of meyer for reinstating rainey. we know pete carroll ran a tight ship out there.

Escambia94

i know someone who's a southern cal fan and he's questioning the integrity of meyer for reinstating rainey. we know pete carroll ran a tight ship out there.

We must share the same friends. Based on what I heard about the incident within hours of the text, yeah, I was on the ban Rainey for life bandwagon. Later when I heard the rest of the story and saw that Urban Meyer was banning Rainey for a few games, I was okay with it. Yes, texting death threats to a woman is bad. Texting death threats because you're dumb as a box of rocks, you are a little upset, you are immature, AND you are in no position to really cause harm is a different story. I tell my kids all the time that if they don't clean their rooms I will rip off their effing heads and crap down their necks, but that does not mean I am going to DO it. I lack the mode, means, and motivation to literally rip my kids' heads off, just as Rainey lacked the mode, means, and motivation to literally make it time to die for his girlfriend.

ShortBus

VIP Member
What Rainey did was stupid; he acted out in frustration and didn't think on his choice of words to express how he felt - and that got him in trouble.

Now he regrets what he did, but he's paying the price for his stupidity. Depending on the severity of the infraction, Urban gives some players second chances; given the fact that this was only Rainey's first screw-up he's been allowed back at practice, but won't see playing time unless he meets certain requirements - that means he's still doing penance for his sin.

Maybe somebody should give Rainey this line from the movie "Glengarry Glen Ross": "You NEVER open your mouth, 'til you know what the shot is."

glad to see you back posting OTG!

GoGators01

Gator Fan
hopefully we see more of this when rainey comes back. i think he'll be more motivated than ever now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pynQ0ZIpff4&list=QL&playnext=1"]YouTube - Chris Rainey 75 yd TD run[/ame]

gator347

Gator Fan
I hate men who abuse women and if he touched her I’d put him under the jail. The media was way off and do not know the facts. Listen to the 911 tape before you decide.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/crime/os-chris-rainey-911-call-20100917,0,2001671.mp3file

• The sister called it in not the girlfriend. She was aggravated not threatened.
• Neither woman felt threatened – You must feel threatened for it to be a felony.
• He never entered the property.
• She, the sister, never wanted Rainey arrested. She felt he needed someone to talk to.
• She believed he would never get physical.
• The police overreacted. One of the main reasons he was arrested was because he is a celebrity and he put it in writing (younger people don’t talk anymore – they text)
• My neighbors wife threatened me with a hammer ( she was parking on my property and I asked her husband to move their LARGE truck) – I did not feel threatened and the police said they could not do anything because I did not feel that I was in danger.
• Most of my kids could have gone to jail for threatening their siblings, “Ok, now you die!”, “I’ll kill you!”, “It’s time to meet your maker”…..
• This was an overreaction.
• Rainey has no arrest history or a history of being violent.
• The program he is on is offered to ANYONE without a record.
• There are football players arrested for throwing french fries, getting cars out of impound with permission of the owner of the impound & the car, football player getting on a bus to go to class but someone on the bus had a restraining order (former girlfriend) against him……
:detective:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema