• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Check this out

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So many things here worth examining and commenting on...from the complete wallowing in corruption to which this program appears to have plunged, to the abandonment of those players who are no longer useful to them and on and on, it keeps getting worse. Meanwhile, coaches deny such things ever happen, players who have gone on to successful NFL careers denounce their less fortunate former friends and brothers-in-battle as liars and worse, lying now themselves for their own selfish reasons: more and more, it strikes us as just one huge, sad mess.
Not that any of this is really shocking--only how far this particular program has gone, how deep and thorough their descent. If you watch the HBO Bryant Gumbel "RealSports" segment on this subject currently airing, it is clear that Auburn's tale is notable mainly in the degree of involvement: they're not alone in the general nature of the way "the game is played". They seem to have made a decision back there to "play it all the way", though, to go "all in".
It should come as no surprise that this stuff permeates bigtime college sports. It's not just Auburn, not just the SEC, not just college football (by many accounts, college basketball is WORSE, favors, cars, jobs and all the "Money Handshakes" MORE widespread!).
The question that keeps growing also remains unanswered:
Will ANYONE be held accountable in all of this?
We certainly can't look to the NCAA. In every one of these issues they have a vested interest in seeing that these charges are somehow buried and forgotten--or at least drowned in counter-charges, smear campaigns on the "trouble-makers", and all dragged out over time with "no comment"s and mostly closed-door legal proceedings, the next best thing. Their one true aim is to preserve the status quo, keep THEMSELVES "in business"--as a fair arbiter, "protector of the student athlete" and "the integrity of college sports", the NCAA is a joke!

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
It was an interesting program. But I think the whole "players should be compensated" thing is stupid. Gumbel and all the people he had on were trying to make it seem like the players were getting a bad deal. The players have plenty of options available to them at a school, and RealSports made it seem like that wasn't true.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
There ought to be a fairer deal, though--millions of dollars being made on some of these kids' name and/or likeness, sometimes for years after they're gone (like with the games, for eg.)...the present "system" has so many things wrong with it that it HAS to change, somehow. One way or another, it needs to all come out into the light--I understand (and have often made myself) all the arguments about the opportunities that ARE there for these young men--but that doesn't change the fact that the false dreams die badly for many, or make the rampant shadow-corruption somehow OK...everyone involved needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into a more open, put-it-all-on-the-table, hopefully fairer balance.
I'm aware of how big a job this would be. EVERYTHING would have to be explicitly addressed: Separate out the top 50 or 60 programs to which these special conditions apply, then deal with all the things the powers-that-be currently don't even want to speak of, like football player stipends, the true nature of their required priorities while on scholarship, insurance policies for star players--how large and who gets them--and so on.
It's a can of worms no one wants to open--but it has burst, the worms are getting out and the whole mess stinks.
It will never be perfect, but it can and should be more just. I'm not saying it won't be hard and painful, but we can do better. At the rate things are going, if the folks who truly preside, the Regents, School Presidents, etc. who comprise the various governing bodies sometimes referred to as the NCAA (depending on which hat they're wearing), don't take matters in hand themselves and make such changes in SOME form, you can bet the government will end up involved, ultimately, one way or another--it has already begun, in the Auburn case. I have no doubt THAT would be just a new mess, one full of entanglements and inefficiencies EVERYONE would be better off avoiding.
However, I wouldn't want to go back to business as usual, even if we could. How bad does it have to be before even the people clinging to the old system realize that in the long run, it's better for them if they are central to creating a new one?

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
At the end of the day the student/athlete have a say if they want to play or not. They do not have to accept the term of playing football, basketball, baseball, or any other sport for that matter. It is about choices, and if they choose to play for no pay, no guarantees then these are the choices made. Why is it that things have to change because the colleges have gotten smart and learned how to make money on the sports activities that they provide? What about all the other students that play sports that do not get the exposure as the high profile sports? Do they get paid? What about insurance guarantees?

At the end of the day the money that is being brought in funds many of these other sports and activities around each school.

Don't like the idea of not getting paid? Getting a full ride with room and board is not enough for you? Then pay for school out of your pocket like the rest of us or go get a job and don't play sports.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The "other students" you speak of do not play in a situation where hundreds of millions of dollars are made from their efforts--indeed, their "ride" currently depends upon the efforts of that relative few who participate in men's football and/or basketball programs at a limited number of schools, as you note.
The idea that these young men have a "choice" is a specious one--it is only the choice of "take it or leave it", "play our way or not at all". They made THAT choice a long time before. Where else in our supposed "free enterprise" -system do we routinely accept this kind of unrestricted, ad infinitum "exploitation without redress"? Before even getting to the verge of a bigtime college scholarship they have run a gauntlet of tests and outright risks; at each level, the opportunities for serious injury ending all their dreams, wasting the efforts, long hours and hard work; now all of that, especially the risks, are about to be greatly intensified. Glory and a chance to at least vie for a professional sports career (I'm not going to get into the whole question of a college degree, true graduation rates and the "real reasons" that these so-called "student athletes" go through all of this and are at these particular 50 or 60 programs in the first place here) may seem enough to most such single-minded kids in their late-teens, but the ninety-something per cent of them who will find themselves in a minimum wage job in 5 or 6 years, AFTER the cheers and hero-worship, without a degree, many with life-long physical aches and pains, even WITHOUT counting in the specific money made on their names, likenesses and the efforts of themselves and their teammates, don't they deserve some representation and protection in return for their participation in this ongoing "operation"? The booster-cars, summer jobs and "money handshakes" (to name just a few of these) are part of the problem, NOT any kind of solution.
If you're talking about some kind of formally organized representation for these players' general interests, with resulting explicit benefits and responsibilities, who gets what for how long and what they owe in return, and so on, set down in writing in a kind of contract, I have no problem with that.
I'm not addressing here the "how?", let alone the "how much?", regarding the details of a more just approach, only stating what seems patently obvious but continues to meet great resistance nonetheless: The system is broken, grossly unfair and corrupt through and through. It must and WILL change, one way or another, and the powers-that-be would do well to get down to making wholesale changes now (and if it keeps the government from getting involved would be doing EVERYONE a favor!).

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
Lets say for the sake of argument that the schools start paying players to play sports.

Which sports players get paid? Are they all paid the same? What about tennis, track, lacrosse, volleyball, and other sports activities; do these players get paid? They run the same risk of injury, not graduating with a degree, or just plain not getting a good job later in life.

Since only about 3% of all athletes actually make it to play in professional sports I guess we better put in some type of retirement package as we do not want the rest of these kids to feel left behind or taken advantage of. So how much should be set aside for all the hard work and training that the students has to go through? 50K, 100K, 250K? Lets just say 50K for their time and effort. 50K X 1 Million kids that will never play professional sports = 50,000,000,000 Well that will certainly take away from any profits! Okay maybe there are not 1 Million kids playing sports for the thousands of Universities and Colleges....lets say there is only 100K. So that is only 5,000,000,000. No problem!

So is there going to be a signing bonus to recruit incoming freshman? How much can each school spend on new recruits? What kind of back door dealings will occur for the top players in the country when the money is part of the process?

So when a player turns out to be great, does he/she get more money? Can they sit out and basically refuse to play until they get what "they" feel is the right amount of money?

I guess we will have to let the players sign endorsement deals as well. They might as well make as much money while they can as there is no gaurantee that they will ever make it in professional sports.

So lets just put the Union in there and be the governing body to ensure everyone gets paid equally and with representation against the huge Universities and the NCAA so these poor kids do not get taken advantage of. There has to be contracts in place so lets get attorneys involved as well as we do not want any type of miss-dealings and improper compensation for some players over others.

So now that all the players are getting paid and they have representation, when do the strikes begin?

Since the cost of having to pay the Players, Unions, and Attorneys, have severely decreased the amount of money the Universities earn, they have to cut many of the non profitable sports which eliminates lets say about 500,000 scholarships of other possible students so they have to now pay out of their pocket or get a min. wage job since this opportunity no longer exists.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Not all sports are created equally. Few athletes go to UF to launch their professional careers in cricket, lacrosse, or tennis. A simple solution is to look at the market value. The market value for a junior, tier 1, skilled football player has been estimated at $50K/ yr to $300K/ yr. If the NFL wants to officially adopt the top 20 NCAA division 1 football teams as a developmental league, it should denote which schools it will sponsor, fork over cash and personnel support, and formalize an agreement. NBA is more difficult due to there being more pro leagues and more lax rules for entering the NBA. Baseball already has minor leagues to compete with college baseball for market value of a player, and most other sports lack the marketability.

In reality, I would rather not see college players get paid. However, I would like for NCAA to de-criminalize the promotion of capitalism and maybe manage it somehow. Also, stop setting the rules up to punish an entire program for one kid's mistake.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It isn't an "equality" argument, not from my POV--that IS a slippery slope. But if you don't grant that things are seriously "out of whack and out of control" with the current mess, you're not as smart as I think you are, Jack&Dew...
Look, I'm simply in favor of seeing it all out in the open and a true, organized effort to address the obvious hypocrisies and injustices, shine a light in the gutters and back-alleyways where "business as usual" has been done for too long.
As for "Where do you draw the line?", that's one of the first (and obviously important) questions that must be explicitly answered--a finite number of relatively large programs stand apart already, are players in the cockeyed, covert and corrupt system that long since arose and continues to exist on its own. The "top" 50? 60? That'll be up to the Presidents, Regents, ADs and no doubt "legal and financial experts" who will end up having to address these very problems and ultimately form a new kind of "Major College Alliance", if you will. (Again, from my POV, it is hardly coincidental that such an organization would aptly lend itself to being the eventual foundation for a football playoff system--there would clearly have to be a separate, likely larger "member list" for a parallel basketball grouping, given different realities and requirements of institutions participating in the two different sports at the highest levels--but these are just the start of exactly the questions that all need to finally be considered).
This isn't a situation that will permit a long term return to the former state-of-denial. Try to sweep it under the rug and go on and we'll end up with the government involved at every turn--and then we're a lot more likely to have all the complications and absurdities you glibly imply are the only alternative to the current mess.
The point is that that very mess is already out in the open, and that's a place it can't possibly operate, even if you somehow wanted to go back to it--by its very nature it grew and lived in the shadows. Despite the hopes and best efforts of those who most benefited by that former status quo, you can't go back. Everyone can "see the wires". "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" won't work anymore.
We should look at this as an opportunity, a chance to seek a system that is better, fairer for everyone except the parasites on the fringe who broker power and influence with perks, favors and "money handshakes" from endless hidden slush funds. It may very well also be a LAST chance for the "upright bastions of respectability" to keep control and oversight over such a system without direct government meddling or intrusion, something we should all very much want to avoid.

Escambia94

You draw the line where the cash goes, and then you set a limit. Schools like Florida and Texas would be willing participants, whereas schools like Miami (OH) and Akron would not. What makes Miami (FL) a member of the cool club, but not Miami (OH)? Maybe a few million dollars this year, a few more next year. If a school cannot afford to be a member of the cool club, then I guess its players are just going to have to learn how to play sports for the love of the game.

We do not need government interference, but if the college players are going to be indentured servants to the NCAA mafia, then the mafia needs to be held accountable. Find a way to give the kids' families a portion of the proceeds for using the kids' likenesses on video games and putting their names on jerseys.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
We do not need government interference, but if the college players are going to be indentured servants to the NCAA mafia, then the mafia needs to be held accountable. Find a way to give the kids' families a portion of the proceeds for using the kids' likenesses on video games and putting their names on jerseys.

Without getting into a rabbit trail of semantics, I believe that all NCAA sanctioned (authorised?) merchandise is without the name on the back; it's the stuff that isn't "official" that has the names. You could check at the UF site to be sure. Additionally, I think that only players who have graduated will appear on the covers of video games. Zebransky, Tebow, etc, were on the cover after graduating (even if they were wearing their school's colours). Thus, they could be paid for that.

Escambia94

Without getting into a rabbit trail of semantics, I believe that all NCAA sanctioned (authorised?) merchandise is without the name on the back; it's the stuff that isn't "official" that has the names. You could check at the UF site to be sure. Additionally, I think that only players who have graduated will appear on the covers of video games. Zebransky, Tebow, etc, were on the cover after graduating (even if they were wearing their school's colours). Thus, they could be paid for that.

I will give an example. My co-worker's son, Carleton, plays basketball for Notre Dame. Mom and dad get phone calls all day about potential sponsorships, permission to use likeness, and permission to use names. Neither Carleton nor his family are allowed to take a single penny for granting permission (not that anyone needs permission), yet somebody else is making millions off the kid for the 3 years he is in school getting a degree. Is he thankful that NCAA gave him a scholarship to play ball and graduate with a degree? Yes. Are mom and dad happy? Yes. Who is happier? NCAA, EA Sports, Nike, Reebok...the people who sell stuff off Carleton's marketability. Licensed or not, somebody else is making millions off the kid, yet NCAA will revoke the kid's scholarship if he takes one penny. As a matter of fact, if you don't like Carleton you can call the NCAA athletic commission and anonymously report a violation, which forces mom and dad to burn through cash to defend the accusation. If Carleton gets hurt one day after graduation, he is screwed. If he wants to participate in additional camps, clinics, and all-star games he needs to pay for that since NCAA stopped paying stipends. Some kids you don't feel sorry for, but a kid that busted his hump to graduate in 3 years with a 3.75 gpa you root for and call out NCAA for its mafia tactics.

Going back to the response. If you play video games the college versions have no names, but the stats and appearance are taken from the actual person. Sometimes they will give the player a similar name and jersey, such as #15 Rick Rebow or Mick Meebow. Yeah. Guess who that is. I guarantee that Tebow fans bought that game and are playing #15 Rebow as #15 Tebow. I guarantee some kid bought a #34 Notre Dame jersey and NCAA made money off that even though it has no name on it.

Maybe if some of those proceeds were stashed away into a post-graduation account it would be fair. Post-graduation, not post-draft.

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
"But if you don't grant that things are seriously "out of whack and out of control" with the current mess, you're not as smart as I think you are, Jack&Dew..."

First and foremost, I never claimed to be smart. :)

I never said that things were not out of whack.

What I am basically saying is that you cannot pay some athletes and not others. (the lawyers will have a field day)

It was said that maybe allow the top 20 schools or programs semi pro status. Have the pro teams compensate the players that play for these schools. So now there will even less equality between schools as every top prospect will have to choose one of those 20 schools. (if they want to get paid) I guess the remaining schools will just have to deal with it.

Who will be the top 20 schools? Notre Dame? Oregon? TCU? Kentucky? Nebraska? or will it have to be dependent on timing?

Do I think it is fair that companies make millions off the likeness of college players - no. I don't think it is fair that the CEO's make millions of dollars when we (tax payers) had to bail out their companies either but....

Do think it is going to solve any of the problems with recruiting, backdoor dealings, and money under the table because players and parents are now being compensated - absolutely not! It has been proven time and again that if you give a little most everyone wants more. When will it ever be enough?

Will things change? Probably. Will the game be the same? Probably not. Will it stop corruption? No. Will it stop companies from making money on student athletes? No.

But then again, what do I know, I am not very smart. :wacko:

Escambia94

Who will be the top 20 schools? Whomever brings the money. Literally. Make it an opt-in for the top 20 bidders. That is essentially what we have now. With the exception of the service academies, the top 20 schools that spend money on football land the best NFL draft stock. Only a few oddballs in the NFL come from division 2 or bottom 80 division 1, and those are usually unskilled players.

If corruption is going to remain part of the game, then all I ask is that we start to tip the scales away from the NCAA mafia just a bit.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I like what E- has had to say above, making one of the central points here by zeroing in on a practical example. Whether we're talking about merchandise, official and otherwise, and the dollars made hand-over-fist from it, or "likeness", with gaming now well on it's way to overtaking even movies as a billion-dollar cash-cow--fail to address it, and the slightly-altered names and assorted phony "work-arounds" will only get worse.
Personally, I am simply in favor of cutting through the crap, facing the facts and true realities of the current so-called "system", putting it all out on the table, making certain choices and dividing everything up accordingly...it's a big job, but that doesn't mean we do NOTHING.
A lot of the arguments against such efforts seem intent just to cloud the issue(s). For example, the statement "You can't pay some athletes and not others...": You sure can when there are explicit rules in place regarding participation-- where, when, with whom and for how much--and the players in question, having been invited to participate in a member institution's program (or to choose between several such institutions, all part of their own separate organization legally formed for just these purposes), have chosen to do so and freely, openly signed such an agreement.
Complicated, from a legal perspective? No doubt about it. Lots of pitfalls and hidden details" I'm sure. Lawyers will have a field day getting it all straight--but it's GOTTA be better than what we've got and where we're headed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema