• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

CB Janoris Jenkins arrested

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
This has to be one of the best comments I've ever seen on a story:

Janoris, how you can not out run the cops? You are our top DB. How are you going to cover Julio Jones or AJ Green if you can't get away from some doughnut filled cop?

I am not upset with the arrests, per se, but just the fact that our team is not fast enough to evade arrest. Where is the fastest team in the country Meyer promised us?

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
This has to be one of the best comments I've ever seen on a story:

I just hope Meyer doesn't let Jenkins off easy; at the least I hope he'll be suspended for the first two games. No more being a mensch on Meyer's part; enough is enough. Maybe if he's harsh on Jenkins, he'll get a point across to the rest of the team that all these conduct issues need to stop if they want to continue wearing Gator Orange and Blue.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I agree with O-Town with the two game suspension and also take his jersey number (#1) away from him and give it to Demps.

Gator Duck

Gator Fan
I remember back in the beginning Meyer had a plan to have the coaches and upper classmen run herd on the younger players to keep them out of trouble. What ever happened to that?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
He shouldn't have resisted being arrested because well when you resisting arrest well cops will hit back hard or shock back in this case.

eskimoforgators

Gator Fan
Off-season the toughest part of the year for football teams… 19 and 20 yr olds who are blessed with talent on a football field and forgets the real world when they leave the stadium. I don't know what to think on how he became involved but the fact he was given a choice to stop or get taken down-- he chose the worst of the two…then decided to evade the police made it worse. I think the football team and university should get involved. Suspensions or demotion for one year should be fair enough. Unfortunately someone always needs to volunteer to see how much discipline the football team will take to keep a clean team and good standards...

I get enough poo from a Nebraska fan (my boss) as it is can't wait until he sees this one.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Hey O-Town, do you listen to Dan Sicilio in the morning? He was bashing the Gators even harder than usual over this arrest. I find it hard to change the station on him b/c it's so entertaining to hear a former 'Cane talk about Florida's problems.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Hey O-Town, do you listen to Dan Sicilio in the morning? He was bashing the Gators even harder than usual over this arrest. I find it hard to change the station on him b/c it's so entertaining to hear a former 'Cane talk about Florida's problems.

Dan Sileo is a schmuck; he's at the same level of being vile as Andrea Adelson at the "Slantinel" is. I've never heard his radio broadcasts, but I've read about some of his commentary - I wish a Gator fan down there in Little Havana would throw "glass houses" at him - and especially when one of Randy's boys get in trouble.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
And to refute what the trolls and some others who are going overboard are saying, here's a rundown of all the incidents by one poster over at the "Slantinel" that I thought was very good:

And he (referring to a troll) apparently thinks being arrested means the same thing as being guilty. I’ll go one by one down his list.

Janoris Jenkins- he got in a fight, then freaked and ran. Not good, particularly the resisting arrest charge.
Marquis Hannah- Not familiar with details, but this actually seems pretty serious. However, he joined the team as a WALK-ON. Meyer didn’t recruit him.
Percy Harvin- failed a drug test for pot. He wasn’t charged with anything. How much weed is smoked at college, anyhow? And you listed him twice, for a bunch of stuff he did in HS. But he had no disciplinary problems at UF, and all you’ve got on him is a failed weed test? Bah. Not legit.
Torrey Davis – left the team BEFORE he was arrested for violation of probation. And in any case, he was on probation for driving with a suspended license. Yes, illegal, but not a violent “thug” crime.
Carl Johnson –the restraining order was dismissed for lack of evidence, meaning he violated nothing. I don’t know if that means he did anything, but I’m not going to say he did without more to go on. Not legit enough to hammer Meyer with.
Cameron Newton – this one was pretty serious. Dismissed from team immediately.
Jacques Rickerson- this one was also pretty serious. Dismissed from team immediately. Though you listed him twice, probably to bolster your idiotic case.
Jamar Hornsby- this one was probably the worst. Dismissed from team immediately.
Ronnie Wilson- no arguments here. Punching someone and then chasing them in a car and firing a gun to threaten them is terrible. This kid, unfortunately, was allowed back on as a walk-on, a decision that I highly disagree with.
Avery Atkins- this is a terrible sad story. The kid was a bad apple, no doubt. But he spent at year at UF incident-free and was kicked off the team immediately after, the domestic violence incident. The rest of that stuff happened after he left UF. Atkins’ sad saga and all his arrests are his failure and his parents’ failure. Not Meyer’s. No one can lay that at his feet. Not legit enough to blame Meyer for.
Dee Webb – he legally owned the gun and wasn’t even arrested. And in any case, the incident happened after he was gone from the program.
Andre Caldwell- didn’t fire the gun, happened to be there when it went off. Wasn’t even arrested. Bad form, just making crap up.
Reggie Lewis-same as Caldwell. Still on SIX.
Kenneth Tookes- police determined that he accidentally fired the gun, and again, no charges were filed. Has been involved in no other incidents at UF.
Dorian Munroe- he stole a parking boot rather than pay a parking ticket. You ever been towed in Gainesville? You ever been booted in Gainesville? Not fun. He’s not a hardened criminal – if anything, he should be charged with “most hilarious debut crime”. I know a lot of people who’d want to shake his hand for that.
John Curtis – violated probation for failing to complete community service over an underage drinking charge. Wow. Underage drinking. That never happens in college.
Tony Joiner – the property owner called it a misunderstanding, and the charge was ultimately dropped – go read the USA Today article to see what the property owner actually had to say.
Jarvis Herring-Zook recruited him, the violation occurred while Zook was still head coach, and he had no problems under Meyer.
Taurean Charles- Zook recruited him, the crime occurred while Zook was still head coach, and he was gone from the team before Meyer got there. Suck it.
Brandon James- he bought marijuana, and it wasn’t even enough to make a felony possession charge. Illegal, yes, but a third of the kids at most colleges have done the same thing.
Brandon Powell- same as James, he bought weed. Wow. No college kid ever does that.
Nyan Boateng- The arrest happened in Gainesville, but he had already transferred to Cal. That’s not Meyer’s problem – it was his Cal coach that suspended him. He did nothing while a Gator.
Riley James- I’m skipping this kid because I’ve never heard of him and neither has Google.
Jarvis Moss- He failed a drug test for weed. Again, typical of college-age kids and there was no arrest.
Jermaine Cunningham-misdemeanor battery, he hit a guy with a sandwich. Is anyone out there really going to take this seriously? Probably the result of some pre-law kid trying to see how far he could legally push the guy.
Jon Demps- same deal, the sandwich incident is ridiculous.
Darryl Gresham – oh no! not weed!
Dustin Doe- fighting in public, a misdemeanor charge that is somewhat serious, but also mainly a testosterone-laden idiot decision. But I guess I'd count it.
Justin Midgett- he never played and transferred before Meyer even got there. And even if not, at most you’re looking at a misdemeanor scooter-related charge. Putting stuff like this and the Sandwich Bandits on your list makes your claim that UF is full of hardened thugs pretty flimsy.
Jimtavis Walker- Never played for Meyer. One of Zook’s players, and the incident you mention happened AFTER he transferred to Oregon State.
Channing Crowder-Never played for Meyer. One of Zook’s players, and yes, he was a nutcase, but mainly he got into fights.
Marcus Thomas- He was a problem, and was dismissed from the team as a result of it. It greatly damaged his NFL draft stock and hurt the team as well. Don’t know what more you want Meyer to do on that one.

On the whole list of guys, not all of whom played under Meyer, there's only seven of those who I consider to have been the type of "criminal" that many individuals implying exist throughout Meyer's program. I'm not apologizing for Jenkins, Horsby, Hannah, Newton, Rickerson, Wilson, or Atkins. But the rest of the guys on that list are getting unfairly lumped in, when they've really done nothing different than what other college students do.
I understand that Meyer's "top 1% of the top 1%" line is annoying and may not ring true, but it is a recruiting and marketing pitch. No different than Auburn having its coaches visit recruits in limousines. Yeah, give him crap for that. But don't slander young men with the image of thug or hardened criminal when all they've done is drink underage or purchase a few grams of weed. That's just ridiculous.

Link: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/06/breaking-gators-cb-janoris-jenkins-arrested-tasered-over-fight.html

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
All good points. Yet the list just seems too long for me. I wonder what the ratio of incidents to number of athletes compares to the number of incidents to student ratio?

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
It's just a bunch of silly boneheaded mistakes. There are players across the nation being arrested for far more serious offenses than here at UF. We don't have a bunch of thugs, just some morons.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
"The Taser might have hurt Janoris Jenkins, but his future should be less painful despite his arrest over the weekend for a street fight.

Alachua County courts often accept a pre-trial intervention -- a program with a series of stipulations -- for first-time offenders to walk away with charges dropped. Jenkins is a first-time offender. So was Cam Newton, the former Gators quarterback who got the pre-trial invervention (also called pre-trial deferment) to erase his felony charges for allegedly stealing a laptop.

For Jenkins, a similar fate could mean community service and probation and maybe a couple of other hoops to jump through."

Link: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/

Basically, Janoris Jenkins was involved in the same thing Dustin Doe was a while back - nothing more than a dumb macho fight. Still, he should be suspended for the first couple of games as a team punishment.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I don't know if you guys checked out EDSBS. They have a pretty funny write-up about this.

gatortase.jpg

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2009/06/01/fulmer-cupdate-janoris-jenkins-eats-taser-for-lunch/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema