• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bryant Young as D line coach

crmixon

Gator Fan
Yahoo is reporting that we added Bryant Young as the defensive line coach. Only one year of coaching experience, but he was a monster while with the 49ers.

Hopefully he can turn that D line back into the feared unit it needs to be.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
In another 230 days, we shall see how well Mus-Chomp's plan to port over Super Bowl coaches and players into the college game. I cannot recall any other college team doing this, so unless my memory fails me, this could be a first. Charlie Weis was OC for three Super Bowl champion New England teams (SB XXXVI, XXXVIII, and XXXIX), and Bryant Young played on the championship SB XXIX team. Two of his coaches are arriving fresh from NFL playoff runs (win or lose, it's still a somewhat elite club to make it to the playoffs).

Yeah, I'm excited. 230 more days.

Gatorfan24

Gator Fan
The 49ers defense as a whole is really good. If he can coach up our D Line like theirs, we're solid up front on the defensive side.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
All told, this has GOT to grab the attention of young recruits--and with any kind of success and a full year under their belts this staff will see classes get better and better starting NEXT year. The potential talent pipeline is staggering. You can see what they're going for: coach the TALENT, build the TEAM, attract MORE talent, MORE coaching, STRONGER teams--a growing cycle of strength and dominance.
This could be one hell of a ride...

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Hey I'm sure he'll have the player's respect especially since he's a four time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl winner.

Gatorfan24

Gator Fan
If he can really get the big guys to put pressure on the offense, our defense would return to the vicious defense that it formerly was.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The outline begins to emerge...if and when the details are filled in and take the form suggested, well, ultimately we will be a NASTY, rolling juggernaut. Fast, yes, but no longer just a "finesse team".

robdog

Gator Fan
Good NFL coaches "could" translate well to the college system. Even more so for coaches who have Super Bowl rings. I just hope they can figure out the subtle differences between the NFL playbook and the college playbook. Which I have full confidence in our coaching staff.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'd be more concerned about that if this were an all-NFL coaching staff with little college experience--but it's not.
On the contrary, almost everyone has a strong NCAA background, and the key guys clearly PREFER the college game. We ARE heavy on pro-coaching-experience, but it can be argued that in style, form and vision this sets up as an advantage, a positive rather than a negative, in a number of ways.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This blatant betrayal by Drayton hits a sour note, coming when it did, how it did, as recruiting comes down to the final weekend--hard to say how MUCH damage it did, though. Our greatest need is on the D-line, and we were "close" on several good-to-great ones coming down to the wire. Obviously, our Recruiting Coordinator bailing on us for OSU at this point was a blind-side sucker punch that didn't help.
Gotta hope we pick up a couple more anyway--at least ONE of the really good ones plus maybe one or two of the 3-star guys seems doable, not unrealistic.
I have little doubt Chomp & Co. will "hit it out of the park" NEXT recruiting-season, stocking up on both sides of the line and at the skill positions (ESPECIALLY at "Every Down RB", if one's out there)--but this year's quest was handicapped in a number of ways from the get-go. Indeed, this staff has already "held its own" in apparently holding onto as much of what had already committed as it has; a surprise or two and a couple of strong additions here at the end (again, hopefully on the defensive line) would actually exceed realistic expectations and not only put us in good shape going into 2011 but bode well for what can be accomplished NEXT year, with all the impediments behind us and a year for this talented regime to "do its thing".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema