• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

BCS Bowl Projections - Week 12

GatorsFirst

Gator Fan
The big shakeup this week hit Penn State, as they lost to Iowa. Some conference pictures are extremely clear, and others aren’t. The title game, of course, could still swing wildly, as we saw last year. And just projecting the 10 BCS participants (regardless of who goes where) is no easy task. See below for how we feel this weekend’s action will impact the BCS...

These are not necessarily what we want to happen, but what we think will happen:

BCS Championship:

James: Florida v. Texas. I think Texas recovers to win the Big 12, and is currently the highest-ranked one loss team in the BCS. Penn State’s loss all but guarantees this matchup is Big 12 v SEC, though some games (Missouri v. Big 12 South, UF @ FSU, etc.) could line up to give USC a shot.

Chris: Florida v. Oklahoma. I think Oklahoma jumps both Texas and Florida in the BCS ranking. My theory is based on the fact that the current difference between Oklahoma at #5 and Texas at #3 is only .0354 points, and that is due in part to the computer rankings. Oklahoma has yet to play Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, and Texas has no one else of merit left. If there is a 3-way tie in the Big-12 South, then the tiebreaker is final placing in the BCS ranking. Florida, on the same token, has a tougher schedule with South Carolina and Florida State on the radar. They will also have a conference championship game against a possible #1 team, and Texas will not be in there championship game.

Rose Bowl:

James: USC v. Penn State. In my latest scenario, this game is entirely determined due to the auto-bid rules. How boring.

Chris: USC v. Penn State. Traditional Rose Bowl matchup. USC should take the Pac-10 title, as I don’t see Oregon State winning out their remaining three games. I also don’t see Penn State losing in Happy Valley to Michigan State.

Fiesta Bowl:

James: Ohio State v. Oklahoma. If Ohio State loses another game, we’ll either see a second non-BCS get a bid (Boise State, but Ball State if Boise slips up), or some BCS league sneak in a second candidate to the top 14. The top 14 is SEC and Big 12 heavy right now, and only 2 teams from each conference are eligible. But Ohio State makes like Western Michigan and beats Illinois, and do I even have to mention the Michigan game? They’ll win out and go somewhere, might as well be here as at least one of these teams has been in this bowl 5 of the last 6 years. Also, this assures one of these teams will break recent trends and actually win a bowl game.

Chris: Texas v. Ohio State. If Texas barely misses out of the championship picture, and Oklahoma is the team that will claim the #1 spot, then Texas would be the easy Big-12 replacement pick for the Fiesta Bowl. As the retainers of the first at-large selection, the Fiesta Bowl would be delighted to pick an Ohio State team that travels well. I stated last week that Illinois would beat Ohio State, but after Illinois’ loss to Western Michigan last week, I believe Ohio State will win out.

Sugar Bowl:

James: Alabama v West Virginia. Losers of conference championship games rarely get a BCS bid. However, Alabama, in my scenario, gets chosen as the top at-large because of their rabid, and recently down-trodden, fan base- and Georgia is the only other realistic SEC candidate, which (for now) is clearly below Alabama in the national picture. Also, does Rich Rodriguez approach Brett Favre’s level of getting mentioned at a game he’s nowhere near?

Chris: Alabama v Utah. Alabama would be the easy replacement choice for losing Florida to the BCS championship game. There is no other eligible team that will have the credentials of a 12-1 Alabama program. The Sugar Bowl committee will then have a tough choice between an undefeated non-BCS team or a two-loss Big East champion. I think they would be better off with Utah than Cincinnati, so they’ll be my pick. This happens unless West Virginia finds a way to sneak away with the Big East crown.

Orange Bowl:

James: North Carolina v. Utah. UNC gets the ACC’s auto-bid, and Utah will be an automatic qualifier as the MWC champion. Utah gets chosen as the last at-large, as no one ever selects a non-BCS before they are forced to.

Chris: North Carolina v. Cincinnati. North Carolina remains my pick from the ACC due to their good win against Georgia Tech last weekend. I still think they will take down Florida State in the conference championship game. I think Cincinnati beats Pittsburgh in two weeks at home, and they would hold any tiebreaker over West Virginia. They will not be a wanted commodity and thus will be the last at-large pick.

Thoughts?

To see this article, click here.

castawaygator

VIP Member
i dont really care who UF plays against in the NC, i just want them to get there!
could play against TT, UT, OU

other bowl games i want to see:
rose usc v penn
fiesta REMATCH!!! OU vs boise that would be a great game but i doubt it will be any better of a finish to a bowl game from 2007. the end of the 2007 game was by far the best game i have see!

i dont want to see any big10 teams in the bowl games except PSU, who i feel deserves to be in bcs game.

GatorsFirst

Gator Fan
You have to remember the BCS bowl rules:

It is important to have a little knowledge of the selection process. The entire process is described in great detail here. But the important points are:

1. Obviously the #1 and #2 make the BCS Championship game. But there are also the tie-ins, which pretty much everyone knows as well:
1. Sugar-SEC Champ v BCS at-large;
2. Rose- Big Ten Champ v Pac 10 Champ;
3. Orange- ACC Champ v BCS at-large;
4. Fiesta- Big 12 Champ v BCS at-large;
5. The Big East Champ has to be chosen as one of the at-larges;
6. Notre Dame has to be chosen as an at-large if they are in the top 8 of the BCS;
7. One non-BCS conference champ has to be chosen if they are in the top 12 OR the top 16 if the non-BCS champion’s rank is higher than any of the BCS conference champions.

2. No conference can have 3 teams chosen in a BCS bowl.

3. The at-large pool, in most realistic scenarios, is the top 14 of the BCS final standings. More detailed rules are given in the link above. The current BCS standings are here.

4. The first at-large chosen is chosen by the bowl who lost the #1 team, if that team has an automatic tie-in to a bowl. (Last year, the Rose picked first for losing Ohio State to the BCS Championship game- OSU was #1). If the #1 team doesn’t have such a tie-in, move on to the next step.

5. The second at-large chosen is chosen by the bowl who lost the #2 team, if that team has an automatic tie-in to a bowl. (Last year, the Sugar picked second for losing LSU to the BCS Championship game). If the #2 team doesn’t have such a tie-in, move on to the next step.

6. The other selections follow this order for games played in 2009: Fiesta, Sugar, and then Orange. Note that the Rose has 2 automatic tie-ins, so would be complete before this step. This order is based on the rotation of the BCS Championship game among the 4 bowls.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
^^^ 2 non BCS teams can be selected. There's no rule against it. It's just highly unlikely. If they are both in the top 12 only 1 is GUARANTEED a spot. However, if the selection committee is feeling particularly froggy, they can take both.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
^^^ 2 non BCS teams can be selected. There's no rule against it. It's just highly unlikely. If they are both in the top 12 only 1 is GUARANTEED a spot. However, if the selection committee is feeling particularly froggy, they can take both.

That, or if Boise State starts whining.

GatorsFirst

Gator Fan
Unfortunately, there is minimal chance of both Utah and Boise State making it as BCS bowl game selections. There will be 6 automatic slots for BCS conference champions, and the highest non-BCS conference champion as long as they are in the top 12. After that, there are only three at-large slots available, and there is no way the Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and Orange Bowl committees will pick an undefeated Boise State or Ball State team over a one-loss Alabama, one-loss Texas/Oklahoma/Texas Tech, or a two-loss Ohio State team.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
I gotta agree with
i dont really care who UF plays against in the NC, i just want them to get there!
could play against TT, UT, OU

other bowl games i want to see:
rose usc v penn
fiesta REMATCH!!! OU vs boise that would be a great game but i doubt it will be any better of a finish to a bowl game from 2007. the end of the 2007 game was by far the best game i have see!

i dont want to see any big10 teams in the bowl games except PSU, who i feel deserves to be in bcs game.
and after reading the bowl breakdowns and all, the only thing I can come up with is Gators 1st, gatorsfirst.

Jumbo1969

Gator Fan
Anyone get there tickets for the SEC Championship? I found this site the other day and looked at some prices. The prices look like they beat Stubhub. If we make the BCS we will get gutted by someone for tickets. Heck the SEC Championship is gonna make me mortgage my house! Oh, I was gonna put a link back to the page so you guys could check it out. http://www.bubbasgottickets.com/ResultsGeneral.aspx?kwds=SEC+CHAMPIONSHIP I have never seen this one before tonight? I think Texas Tech is better than what the rest of the country gives them credit for. Hard to predict this one. Just glad the Luckeyes are out! Take care....Jumbo

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Oh, I was gonna put a link back to the page so you guys could check it out. http://www.bubbasgottickets.com/ResultsGeneral.aspx?kwds=SEC+CHAMPIONSHIP I have never seen this one before tonight?
Sounds like
signs040.gif
to me.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema