• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Balance: Positive Thoughts

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Isn't that the day after the SEC Championship? 'Bout as close as we'll get to THAT one...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
My God, now I know why there's not more pressure on Meyer et al!
Reading some of the above comments I realize that a whole LOT of Gators are as stuck in denial as our Head Coach (not to mention his Bulldog/Front Man).
Open your eyes, folks. It is the very fact that we have so much talent, speed and depth over there on the sidelines, even after all the injuries, suspensions and questionable personnel decisions, and yet continue to slide while those in charge tell us everything is fine, we're on the right track, aren't going to change anything, blah blah blah--that is so frustratingly depressing.
These "positives" are NOT cause for optimism, they are the evidence that this team is being mishandled. I am a long time STRONG supporter of Urban Meyer and what he has done for our program, but in the end, he is a hired hand who is PAID to be THE LEAD GATOR. I will not support him unquestioningly as he does his faithful friend Addazio, not if/when I perceive a flagging commitment to our team ABOVE ALL ELSE. And that is what I see now, I'm sorry.
How it came to this is another matter; on a certain level I can even understand it, and if it weren't our Gators, have a certain sympathy.
However, it IS the Gators, the very future of the program we're talking about here. Either Urban Meyer snaps out of it and gets his priorities and our program in order, or we MUST begin considering other options NOW.

The Zooker

VIP Member
i like the play they run that starts like an option but then brantley pitches it off to a receiver on the reverse. id make rainey or debose the pitch man on this play though, theyre more dangerous in the open field than hines.

You will be seeing a lot more of it. Meyer likes to use these plays when he feels he doesn't have many big playmakers. By the way he is playing the press I think we will start to see a much more entertaining offense with fakes and reverses like we saw in 2006.

The Zooker

VIP Member
My God, now I know why there's not more pressure on Meyer et al!
Reading some of the above comments I realize that a whole LOT of Gators are as stuck in denial as our Head Coach (not to mention his Bulldog/Front Man).
Open your eyes, folks. It is the very fact that we have so much talent, speed and depth over there on the sidelines, even after all the injuries, suspensions and questionable personnel decisions, and yet continue to slide while those in charge tell us everything is fine, we're on the right track, aren't going to change anything, blah blah blah--that is so frustratingly depressing.
These "positives" are NOT cause for optimism, they are the evidence that this team is being mishandled. I am a long time STRONG supporter of Urban Meyer and what he has done for our program, but in the end, he is a hired hand who is PAID to be THE LEAD GATOR. I will not support him unquestioningly as he does his faithful friend Addazio, not if/when I perceive a flagging commitment to our team ABOVE ALL ELSE. And that is what I see now, I'm sorry.
How it came to this is another matter; on a certain level I can even understand it, and if it weren't our Gators, have a certain sympathy.
However, it IS the Gators, the very future of the program we're talking about here. Either Urban Meyer snaps out of it and gets his priorities and our program in order, or we MUST begin considering other options NOW.

Hey bro, the players still get a Nintendo Wii for playing in the Socks'n'drawers.com bowl! That's a win in my book.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
After wandering around campus again and chit-chatting with UF fans and MSU fans I have come to a couple conclusions:

- The older fans are a lot more optimistic than the younger ones. This makes sense--they did not grow up in the Spurrier and Meyer years. They have been here before. Note: I grew up in the Pell and Hall years, and I know there are some more senior fans here.

- MSU fans are nice people. Even some of the serious fans think Florida will win. They are also very comfortable with the idea of losing, as long as the offense is exciting. Too bad our offense is not that exciting.

- There is somewhat of a gray cloud over Florida. This is not a fear of losing, but a fear of losing three in a row. We haven't done this since 1988. If we lose, everyone will notice. Not even Zook lost three in a row.

- For a couple weeks we have been optimistic that we will get back on track. The consensus on campus, in the media, and even with betters in Vegas is that THIS is the make or break game. We can lose against any other team besides Vandy and be labeled a rebuilding team. We lose today, and we lose credibility and respect for the next few years.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well the Gators started winning in the 1960's with Ray Graves and in the 1960's to like the mid 1970's they were close but kept losing out to UT and UGA or whoever, late 1970's they went down including in 1979. Things picked off in 1980's with Pell until NCAA slapped sanctions against them and from 1986 to 1989 they were a .500 team until Spurrier took over and the rest is history. I started cheering during the Spurrier and I admit almost which sides during the Zook years (thankfully I didn't). It's been hard not only with the way the Gators been playing. I have a sister who goes to FSU and I live in Bulls country.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks for that on-campus "snapshot". I'm far away and otherwise depend on highly filtered information to get a "feel" for how Gators feel in Gainesville.
Gives me a better idea of how and why you have been driven to the point of maybe hoping we LOSE this game--you sense that this is what it will take for the majority of fans to finally "get" how badly things have gotten off-track with our program. I can rant "Look at the on-field product!" all I want, it's wins and losses against who and when that will make the final difference, it seems.
(BTW, I was at UF when Pell came over from Clemsen, suffered through Herschel Walker and annual losses in the Cocktail Party, and heard about Emmit while he was still a 9th grade sensation out in the Panhandle...I have a certain amount of "perspective", but I also know how long and hard our climb to true national prominence and dominance has been AND how quickly and completely it can all slip away if arrogance and inattention are allowed to hold sway...look how fast "dominance" disappeared; "prominence" and our ability to restore it will follow in the kind of accelerating decline we've seen befall other great programs over the years...can't just grit my teeth, turn my back and cynically walk away to hunker down self-protectively, so I raise my "voice" and sound the alarm, join with others and hope we make a difference somewhere, somehow.)

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
We may have lost a couple members due to our negativity, and the forums may be losing their fun factor

I've noticed O-town Gator has been on or at least posted in quite a while. Does anyone know if he's just unavailable or is he one of the ones that's been ran off?

I miss all the informative posts he'd been putting up.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
"He" or "she", I hope that's not the case...I got the impression that "they" were staunch but clear-eyed Gator supporters for the long haul--always a good thing, in my book.
We're not "creating" the problems, on field or off, for our team. If it's just a matter of getting overwhelmed with everything, starting with the onfield product and extending beyond to not wanting to even DISCUSS it anymore, that I do understand. Tempted to go that route myself sometimes--it has happened before, it's just been years (the Zook era, as I recall).

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
This isn't negativity--this is our reality. We offered suggestions that could be deemed blasphemous--firing Addazio and maybe firing Meyer. The thing is that no matter what era of Gator football we grew up on, we hate losing and we have some ideas on how to prevent another Zook era. Some of us apparently go back even further and want to avoid the pre-Graves era, or even the Pell era with wins but few conference championships. Some people have lived through mediocrity as fans and think we know how to avoid that again. If that's negativity, then call me Negative Nancy.

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
I understand everyone has their opinions and rightfully so, I actually believe that Addiazio should be demoted.

But, there is a thing called beating a dead horse.

One thing about negativity, it is contagious. It does not take long for the whole board to become this way.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wait a minute...the "dead horse" WE'RE trying to avoid is the Gator Program
--if something drastic isn't done and instead this accelerating slide is allowed to continue.
You think "demoting Addazio" is enough, OK--a lot of folks have been saying that for quite awhile now...it STILL hasn't happened. Does that not worry you? Any thoughts on why it hasn't? Is there some point where you begin to consider the implications that inaction--the lack of ANY meaningful action , explanation or response--to your own and others' valid points, reveal?
Just asking, if that's OK...

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Removing Addazio as a whole needs to be done especially when the O-line stunk up the joint by allowing 3-4 sacks which is suppose to be his especially.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
This isn't negativity--this is our reality. We offered suggestions that could be deemed blasphemous--firing Addazio and maybe firing Meyer. The thing is that no matter what era of Gator football we grew up on, we hate losing and we have some ideas on how to prevent another Zook era. Some of us apparently go back even further and want to avoid the pre-Graves era, or even the Pell era with wins but few conference championships. Some people have lived through mediocrity as fans and think we know how to avoid that again. If that's negativity, then call me Negative Nancy.

Also Doug Dickey had some good seasons though wish Ray Graves stayed coach.

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
Wait a minute...the "dead horse" WE'RE trying to avoid is the Gator Program
--if something drastic isn't done and instead this accelerating slide is allowed to continue.
You think "demoting Addazio" is enough, OK--a lot of folks have been saying that for quite awhile now...it STILL hasn't happened. Does that not worry you? Any thoughts on why it hasn't? Is there some point where you begin to consider the implications that inaction--the lack of ANY meaningful action , explanation or response--to your own and others' valid points, reveal?
Just asking, if that's OK...

Yes, I think if we have a new OC will make a huge difference.

Addazio has been the OC for 1-1/2 years. I think that it is typical to give individuals an opportunity to grow into the position. So I do not think it is that outrageous that Coach Meyer has not made a change sooner.

I am not that worried that Coach Meyer will make the correct changes.....the guy is way too smart.

I also do not believe the continued ranting will make anything better. Yes, we all need to vent from time to time to let out our frustration with others as this is help release the anger. But, to continue to do so on nearly every post, every topic, every day....is a bit too much....in my opinion, and that is all that this is.

This is the 2nd down season since Meyer took over the program. He has also brought two National Championships. I do not believe that the sky is falling, I do not believe the program is falling a part. And by down season - He lost 4 games in the first "down season" and who knows where we will eventually end up this season as it is not over. I know a lot of programs that would die to have a season with only 4 losses.

I guess I had enough when it was suggested that we root for our Gators to lose. To me, this is the ultimate betrayal.

Go Gators!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema