• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Awesome game write up from "College Football" on MySpace----Very cool!

gtrgrl97

VIP Member
Hey everyone- this is SO funny!!!

NEW ORLEANS -- You probably didn't see this.

It happened in the first half when the game between Ohio State and LSU was not yet an ugly blowout, not a game that would later raise questions about the big-game coaching ability of Jim Tressel and cause people to attack the Big Ten as an overrated, bloated shell of a conference.

It was still competitive when Glenn Dorsey and several of his LSU friends came crashing through the middle of the Buckeyes line and put pressure on quarterback Todd Boeckman. In the seconds afterward, two Ohio State players would start bickering with each other, right there on the field.

It was a pedestrian argument between the two players, not a fight, not a heated discussion. Still, it was eye-opening and also a sign of a meltdown to come. It was as if those players -- and maybe the entire Ohio State team -- knew the noose was tightening even in the second quarter, and it was only a matter of time before they were dead Buckeyes.

Before you could finish your beer and bacon cheeseburger, the game was over.

Ohio State brought it's slow-ass players and corn-fed bullies into New Orleans and were utterly embarrassed, 38-24, by a speedier, better-coached group.

If Ohio State played in the SEC, it'd be known as Mississippi State.

There are three inescapable truths to arise from this game:

First, the Big Ten is awful. The Big Ten makes the Big East look like the NFC East.

Second, the SEC has more than earned its star reputation. It's the sexiest, most formidable conference in college football. Nothing comes close. It keeps proving it again and again.

"SEC! SEC! SEC!" chanted LSU fans.

Go ahead and crow. You earned it, SEC fans, with a second straight baseball-bat beating of Ohio State.

Actually, Ohio State is 0-9 in bowl games against the SEC.

By the year 2030, I swear, Ohio State will win one.

The largest truth to emerge from this game is this: It might be time to re-evaluate the big-game coaching abilities of Tressel.

In some ways, the criticism Tressel will face isn't fair. Tressel isn't quite Marv Levy and the Buckeyes aren't quite the Buffalo Bills. Tressel has won a national title.

LSU is also the most purely talented team in the nation. The Tigers would smash a lot of teams.

These last two title games have been nonetheless devastating to Tressel's legacy. There is no getting around 79-38, which is the combined score of the LSU and Florida losses.

Again, 79-38.

That's atrocious, apocalyptic bad.

We think of Tressel as a big-game coach because he beats Michigan every year.

But beating the Wolverines is looking less and less impressive.

Beating Michigan is starting to become the college football equivalent of beating the New York Knicks.

What was the most disturbing aspect for Ohio State was the total loss of composure, particularly in the second quarter and the opening of the third.

"That was a quarter we certainly won't make a highlight reel of," said Tressel of the second.

For the game Ohio State had seven penalties for 83 yards, about half of those coming in the first half. In that half, LSU was not penalized at all. In the second quarter, during a key LSU drive, Ohio State was called for two personal fouls. In the third, there was a roughing-the-kicker penalty and then personal foul penalties on back-to-back plays.

"Oh I don't know about that," said Tressel when asked if his team lost its temper and composure.

I do. It did.

Tressel's players know it, too.

"The interceptions were big but the personal fouls were probably the biggest factor," said Ohio State's Brian Hartline. "I think that's a lot of emotion. There were a couple of the D-linemen and O-lineman getting after each other. We have a couple of younger guys and this is a big stage. There's a lot of emotion."

Controlling that emotion is strictly coaching. That is all on Tressel.

You didn't see LSU's players bickering with one another and committing massive numbers of personal foul penalties, did you?

The irony is that LSU coach Les Miles is seen as the mad scientist, the weirdo, the hyped-up Gunnery Sgt. -- and Tressel is viewed by the media as the studious professor in his sweater vests who can captain a film room with one cardigan tied behind his back.

This game exposed Tressel as someone lacking in X's and O's capability and Miles as a teacher who can get his players ready and have them play smart when it counts.

LSU quarterback Matt Flynn called what LSU does "controlled rage." I'm not sure what you would call what Ohio State did on Monday night.

Tressel had handed his team a DVD full of insults from the nation's media who questioned the legitimacy of Ohio State being in the title game. It was done as a way of motivating the Buckeyes.

Next year, if Ohio State makes it back to the title game, Tressel should give himself a DVD.

Big-Game Coaching 101.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
It's funny, but us Gators fans need to hold off on the Big 10 bashing, considering out recent loss to Michigan.

BigTenBubba

Gator Fan
Michigan 38, Florida 30 - 2003 Outback Bowl.

Michigan 41, Florida 35 - 2007 Capital One Bowl.

Doesn't make much sense for a Florida fan to bash the Big Ten.

Oh, Michigan is in the Big Ten by the way.

You beat a Zook team that almost always lost games they should not have and you beat a freshman/sophomore dominated defense. Good job.

Fact is - the SEC is a much tougher conference to play in.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
I love how the highlight of the Michigan's senior class career is beating UF in the Capital One Bowl.

I'll give them props for bringing it in full force last week, but beating this year's Gator team really isn't something to be proud of.

Welcome to the board!

There are always reasons...but no excuses.

Sorry to say, but Zook is an excuse. He was a great recruiter, but a terrible overall coach. I supported him for 2 years, but after all the mistakes in the 3rd season it was time to go.

I do give him credit for Illinois' over-all season, but he not a great coach.

And I agree with 2Bits.

Oh - and welcome to the board.

dbgator1

Gator Fan
Yea there in the big ten but who do they beat in the Big 10. I rest my case. Oh yea how bout Appalachian state....lmao Go Gators!!!!!!

BigTenBubba

Gator Fan
Yea there in the big ten but who do they beat in the Big 10. I rest my case. Oh yea how bout Appalachian state....lmao Go Gators!!!!!!

I don't know why you think that's funny. By that rationale Appy State could beat Florida...after all they beat Michigan and Michigan DOMINATED Florida in all phases of the game: Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Don't quote the score and say it was a close game...it wasn't. Michigan turned the ball over 4 times, twice on the goal line. The score could have been 62-35.

I'll put it in more simple terms for you. Don't brag that Michigan got beat by Appy State...

...because Florida got beat by Michigan. Doesn't look good for Florida that Michigan got beat by Appy State. Make sense?

Sorry for the delayed response...been gone for a few weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema