• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Auburn's Newton reportedly cheated at FL

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
"Membrane"-theory! ...a variation of String Theory where the idea is that we inhabit just one slice of reality among an infinity of them located adjacent to one another in a "multiverse", all on the surface of "the quantum foam", I believe. Am I on the right track here, Escambria94?
Anyway, Zooker, welcome to the "Put-the-rest-of-Gator-Nation-to-sleep"-Club. Meetings are here at Gator Envy, whenever the urge strikes us, depending upon obscure choices long since forgotten blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Yep. That is a good way to summarize the M-theory. The beauty of all these theories is that the amount of energy it takes to definitely prove them right or wrong approaches the energy used in the Big Bang. All of these theories tend to hold up well mathematically, or for every researcher X that disproves theory y, researcher Y disproves theory X in kind so they are at a mathematical stalemate. Stephen Hawkings has the best explanation for all of it--no matter who is right, the evidence gets destroyed in the measurement and there is no proof that the theory was correct.

If only it were as simple as "Quantum Leap", where we could jump through our own lifetime and fix the offense or "Voyagers" where we could just dial our SEC Championship destination into the Omni and just go there. With the Gators. Beating the Tigers.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Start down THAT road and it never ends. (Like, all those "slices" where where we WON the SEC Championship game last year, result of any NUMBER of different prior choices, OR similarly, maybe Tebow goes to the NFL after his Jr. year and Cam stays, and--oh never mind! You get the idea.)

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Was reading a couple of posts and I had to check to make sure I wasn't on tribe.net in a discussion on Schrodenger's Cat.
On another note. The bottom trailer during the game on ESPN is continually showing the corroboration by an ex miss-state player Rogers that the newtons wanted 180k to play.

The Zooker

VIP Member
11557615.jpg

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It's pretty sad when ESPN, TMZ, and Al Jazeera are all smearing your name without so much as a court trial to determine innocence or guilt. Then again, if this is all true, then Cam Newton will be a great NFL star.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
What's the surprise? It's "NEWS".
Actually, in this context (ie. of wallowing in phoniness and sleaze), I just can't work up much sympathy for Cam OR his dad. They entered this "playing field", the "PR Arena", you might call it, with their eyes open, and played the game for all it was worth. That to them this apparently (and it's in that "apparently"-part that your problem lies, I know) included certain "benefits" along the way is THEIR problem (literally), and a stupid, short-sited one at that, fueled entirely by arrogance and greed.
How can ANYONE miss the nature of this celebrity-obsessed media culture we live in now? Wallow in it at your peril: they ALWAYS "build ya up to tear ya down", and fat, juicy stories like this are the main event, what those same people who fawn over you are REALLY looking for, once you're "big news"--thanks to that "silent deal" you made with them in the first place.
As for the "court of law" idea--HA! This is "the court of public opinion", MUCH more real and important to these folks. But generally they don't HAVE to make this kind of tale u. Sadly, there are an endless parade of human-frailties on display out there; you only have to dig and scratch...but it's "better" when everyone knows who they are first.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Word on the street is that Auburn is calling a special press conference today to make an important announcement. Uh-ohhhhh.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Looks like the FBI is getting involved now!

Yup. Initially it was reported that they were going to speak to Bond and Rogers. But I just saw that the FBI is speaking to Cam on Tuesday. Looks like we won't have to wait for the five year investigation by the NCAA. There's no way Cam is dumb enough to lie to the FBI. Well, wait, he is. Never mind.

The Zooker

VIP Member
The word about a press conference today may or may not be legit. Some radio programs are reporting that it is going to happen and some are even reporting that it is to announce that Cam is sitting out the rest of the season. But we all know how a rumor can get blown into fact across the media these days. I hope this one turns out to be true though.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Again, I have to say how thrilled I am that this is happening. I absolutely love these stories. Being the SEC, each school's fan base is playing their cards differently in the saga. Wild rumors get passed down the line and end up being reported as fact. Rampant speculation is running wild. It's very entertaining. The latest one I've heard is that the NCAA is advising Auburn to sit Cam.

The Zooker

VIP Member
As of right now, the official response from Auburn on requests about Cam's eligibility is "no comment." Uh-Oh. The official response up until now has been "Cam is eligible to play." Now they are telling the press "no comment." Uh-Ohhhhh.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
crazier n crazier

[YOUTUBE][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNIhqtWmuxE&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Kenny Rogers on KESN-FM in Dallas[/ame][/YOUTUBE]

Bond: Turning His Rogers Phone Call Over To FBI

During his second denial of a phone conversation with Bond today, Rogers cited the alleged misinformation about that exchange as what primarily motivated him to go back on KESN-FM in Dallas today:
“So I just said, you know what, let me call Doug (Rogers attorney) and I’m going to get this off my chest. So that’s when I called you (Fitzsimmons).”
So Rogers is claiming the entire premise for going on the radio today to claim that Cecil Newton told him it would take $180,000 to sign son Cam to a letter of intent - perhaps ending Cam’s collegiate career - was an earlier, alleged inaccurate claim that he had called Bond.
That’s a great story so long as Bond doesn’t have phone records of the conversation … that he’s about to turn over to the FBI.
After Rogers made his second denial today about talking to Bond, the former MSU quarterback Bond said the following to ESPN:
“I absolutely talked with Kenny Rogers, and there are phone records that will show that.”
Bond also added that, “he’s scheduled to meet with the FBI on Tuesday and plans to turn over his phone records and anything else they ask for at that point.
So do you believe Rogers, who lied last week about being involved in a play-for-pay scheme with Cecil Newton, or a man who said on the record to ESPN that he’s going to provide the FBI hard proof that a phone call took place between the two?
Now for the real reason Rogers appeared on Dallas radio today …
Rogers went on KESN in an attempt to dissuade the FBI - and others - that he was in a position to benefit financially from his relationship with Cecil Newton. In other words, getting a cut of whatever Cecil scored from a school for Cam signing a letter of intent there.
ORIGIN....

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm getting confused about who says they said what to whom--and it's EARLY in this whole tangled and tortured tale. Of course, to at least SOME of the "people involved", that is exactly what they are (and always have been) counting on--ie. a cloud of foggy contradictions and weakly supported hearsay.
With the NCAA, even the uncovering of a true evidence-trail was always likely to take so long that everyone materially involved could long since get what each wanted out of the whole sordid affair by the time any consequences were meted out and penalties handed down. Will the involvement of the FBI short-circuit this assumption? It should at least hasten the process.

The Zooker

VIP Member
The strangest part of this whole saga is that there is an ex-TCU player who is posting every new bit of information on a TCU board before it hits the media. Literally everything that ESPN has reported to date, he posted it prior to it getting out. It's odd. He has some kind of connection to the MSU booster that was approached for money.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Is it time to raise the larger-context question once again, the "MAJOR CONUNDRUM of Big-Time College Football"? To wit:
"Should these young men be PAID, out front, in some fashion for what they do for the bottom line at their respective institutions (over and above their tuition, of course)?"
Huge sums that go not just to the football program, not even just to all the other athletic programs, but to virtually every aspect of some schools' whole budget, and beyond, rest on their shoulders. In the case of the biggest stars, it even moves large numbers of paraphernalia (eg. game shirts) with their names and numbers on them. None of these kids see a dime of any of it.
I'm just recapping a few of the more obvious points here; it goes much further and deeper, as we all know. Talk about "a can of worms". Nowhere else in our supposedly "free market"-culture would virtual indentured servitude be tolerated in this fashion--except college sports and the whole "amateur vs. professional" debate, long-discredited and abandoned elsewhere, even in Olympic circles.
I'm tempted to give this topic a thread of its own, but think I'll wait, at least 'til this particular "epic" plays itself out. Meanwhile, all we can do is sit back, monitor the idiocy and wait for the next (inevitable) "shocking revelation". These TV Talking Heads keep reminding me of Capt. Renneau in "Casablanca" when Major Strasse orders him to close "Rick's": "I'm shocked, simply shocked to find there's GAMBLING going on at this establishment!", as the cruppier quietly sidles up to him and says, "Your winnings, sir..."

The Zooker

VIP Member
They are being paid. Just not in cash. Guaranteeing the cost of tuition, housing, food, medical care, clothing, school supplies, books, travel, marketing, and coaching to some kid just coming out of high school is a pretty big risk that practically no employer out there would take. It's also your best hope of getting into the NFL. So the benefits for a young high school athlete are already through the roof. Let's also not forget that not all football programs out there are profitable. The only schools that could afford this would be big time programs. Those programs already have a big edge against the smaller guys. No use beating them down even further.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema