• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Am I the only one that is depressed watching brissett?

Watching brissett is watching what could have been. He has been killing it consistently for nx state. With Driskel, I never know what I am going to see with him. I know that last season's early injury may have stunted his development, but even before that, he never made that much progress. It makes me wonder is it him or the coaches? But all these QBs who transfer from here are having better careers and it's is kinda fustrating to see.

jamestoney84

Gator Fan
I came on here to make the exact same type of thread

We had Cam Newton and he ended up transferring (to lead Auburn to win the championship by the way)
We had Jacoby Briskett and he ended up transferring

Instead, the coaches chose John Brantley and Driskel who are really poor QBs and can barely lead a .500 season.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Meanwhile, as I noted elsewhere, everyone in the SEC appears SO beatable at times, sometimes at the SAME time--I couldn't watch much Georgia/Tennessee either, for that very reason: Only Tennessee's ineptitude saved Georgia today. I keep thinking how we coulda, SHOULDA been able to cut through the SEC East this season. As it is, between the weekly demonstrations of "who we coulda had" and "what we coulda done", even my new-found "emotional detachment" (the kind that comes from knowing it just won't make much difference to anything OUR team is likely to do now) wears thin pretty quickly. I'm not watching anymore college football today...In ways that continue to multiply, ALL the fun of the college football season drains on.
I'm not sure how much actual Gator-play I'll be able to watch in my normal fashion the rest of the way. I don't remember EVER feeling this way before. Short of some kind of "magical reversal" in immediate fortunes (and I'm on record as not counting on ANYTHING "magical"), carried thru' the rest of the season, I don't see those clouds lifting anytime soon.
I have GOT to see at the very least the HOPE for long term change.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
My theory is that we can have a clean program or a winning program, but not both. How many times do athletes from other schools get away with rape, theft, criminal mischief, and the catch-all "undisclosed team rules"? Other than Aaron Hernandez, Florida had a healthy mix of thuggery versus winning under Meyer. Under Muschamp our best player, Demarcus Robinson, is one "undisclosed team rules violation" away from being dismissed from the program and beginning Auburn's starting QB!

ESPN and the NFL praised Charlie Strong for doing what Muschamp has done: remove players with bad behaviors and increase random drug testing. Strong has so far removed as many players as Muschamp in year 1. Strong increased the number of random drug tests from about 200 a year for the team to about 350. Florida had been running 350 drug tests per year under Meyer, and now runs close to 450 a year under Muschamp. Nobody ever praises Muschamp, at least not on forums.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
My theory is that we can have a clean program or a winning program, but not both. How many times do athletes from other schools get away with rape, theft, criminal mischief, and the catch-all "undisclosed team rules"? Other than Aaron Hernandez, Florida had a healthy mix of thuggery versus winning under Meyer. Under Muschamp our best player, Demarcus Robinson, is one "undisclosed team rules violation" away from being dismissed from the program and beginning Auburn's starting QB!

ESPN and the NFL praised Charlie Strong for doing what Muschamp has done: remove players with bad behaviors and increase random drug testing. Strong has so far removed as many players as Muschamp in year 1. Strong increased the number of random drug tests from about 200 a year for the team to about 350. Florida had been running 350 drug tests per year under Meyer, and now runs close to 450 a year under Muschamp. Nobody ever praises Muschamp, at least not on forums.
Everything you say and imply here is right and true--and up til this last few weeks, I would have loyally, proudly subscribed to the idea that we try to have them both, that we could WIN with them both . I think that attitude was at least implied across my posts and threads these last few seasons. But now I'm not so sure. In fact, I'll grant your proposition, and say what most of us feel: If it comes down to it, we gotta "win first".
A "clever skirting of the rules" has always been part of success in the NCAA--they created the circumstances under which that was the TRUE path to Championships, then looked the other way as they saw fit. Two rules: AS LONG AS YOU DO IT "RIGHT", and are part of an "approved group", both of these as defined by an ever-shifting handful of individuals who themselves represent certain covert interests. Conspiracy theory? Call it what you like, but they are there, IT is there, and you will know them by their deeds--by the very reality and events that they have presided over, permitted or punished by manipulation, most of all by the arbitrarily inconsistent application of their rules, and the consequences for violating them.
So: We are back to, "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying", right? To some extent, I'm afraid so. With one caveat: We can still walk our own road. For now, that means drawing OUR OWN "line" as to what we'll ignore, and what we won't...It's a slippery slide, no doubt about it, but looks like we've got to try--try somehow to win by working around the edges, walk the razor's edge without losing our souls.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Anybody depressed watching Tyler Murphy playing for BC?
You know, in this case, not really. He wasn't cut out to lead an offense at this level--ie. the level we SHOULD be operating at. I wish him well: He's a game kid who stepped in and did his best in the middle of a desperate mess here. It's the failure of the guy(s) whom he replaced, once he got back, that is depressing. Not to mention the many failures at that position, WRs, coaches and the various plans, schemes and so on that were installed while he was here.
Now, when it comes to his Coach over there at BC, I'm not sure that "depressed" properly describes my reaction either. In fact, the ONLY thing I can say for sure there is to reiterate my position with Tyler: More evidence as to just how much difference there is to playing in THAT league, facing that level of competition, and life in the SEC.
Sort of drives that point home, in fact.

Escambia94

I read an article maybe on ESPN that pretty much says classic powers like Florida, Texas, and Michigan are just feeling two effects: parity in the NCAA, and bad timing. The article mentioned that both Will Muschamp and Charlie Strong are good coaches, but are at the right school at the wrong time or the wrong school at the right time. This trickles down to the players. Jacoby Brissett and Tyler Murphy were good athletes who happened to be at Florida at the wrong time. Unless Kurt Roper can work miracles with Jeff Driskel, history will also record that Driskel was a good athlete who got here at the wrong time.

Is it depressing to see Brissett and Murphy doing well at other schools? Not really. I am happy for them both, but unlike many fans I encounter I am happier for Driskel for being here through all this turmoil and putting up with a new mix of coaches each year of his career and an increasingly disgruntled fan base. If you believe the NFL scouts, you will see that Driskel will grade out higher than Brissett or Murphy, even if either one is a better college QB than Driskel. This is not my opinion, but the opinion of multiple talent scouts who do this for a living.

Just be happy for all of these kids, but hope that Roper works some miracles with Driskel.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94, re Driskel...
Yeah, maybe so--but he STILL always overthrows the open WR on long routes--a major flaw, and one that has cost us any chance at seizing control of games. That's just one example of his practical, demonstrated in-game shortcomings. JD may be the best PRACTICE QB around. He'll probably wow them at the Combines. But what do WE care, really? On the other hand, TT will always be at the top of any list of Gator Greats at that position, and nothing that transpired subsequently in the pros has or will change that. It cuts both ways.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Sad part, Driskel has one more year (guessing he redshirted after braking his leg last season). Unless he declares early for the NFL (with his play I doubt it) or he graduates and decides to transfer to another school (we can only hope), we're stuck with him.

Escambia94

@Escambia94, re Driskel...
Yeah, maybe so--but he STILL always overthrows the open WR on long routes--a major flaw, and one that has cost us any chance at seizing control of games. That's just one example of his practical, demonstrated in-game shortcomings. JD may be the best PRACTICE QB around. He'll probably wow them at the Combines. But what do WE care, really? On the other hand, TT will always be at the top of any list of Gator Greats at that position, and nothing that transpired subsequently in the pros has or will change that. It cuts both ways.

I agree. Driskel does overthrow deep receivers and he does stare down short and medium receivers. Despite these tendencies, he will grade out higher than Brissett and Murphy by NFL scouts.

Honestly, I do not see any of these guys as NFL studs. Driskel has the best chance, but if he goes undrafted he could still make it in Major League Baseball.

Escambia94

Sad part, Driskel has one more year (guessing he redshirted after braking his leg last season). Unless he declares early for the NFL (with his play I doubt it) or he graduates and decides to transfer to another school (we can only hope), we're stuck with him.

I do not care if the lights come on and Driskel throws for 3000 yards this year. He needs to enter the NFL draft or go into MLB.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Btw (speaking of TT--which I did at the end of my last post here) it's Sat. morning and I'm watching the pregame stuff on SEC Network, where TT is AGAIN saying (what everyone says every week this year), "Jeff Driskel HAS to step up in order for Florida to have success in the SEC..."
It's true of course--and I'm sick of hearing it. When does this mythical "stepping up" begin? I mean, "pretty good against E. Mich." means very little to us when it's followed by, well, what it's been followed by. I think this game does have some import for our team and its future, but even THAT is a tune we're hearing sung each weekend now. I'll talk more of this at "pregame" and/or "Gameday: Tennessee" threads.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema