• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

7 Days to Gator Football: Urban Meyer

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Urban Frank Meyer III coached the Florida Gators from 2005 to 2010, where he led the Gators to two national championships and two SEC conference championships (2006 and 2008), as well as a 65-15 overall win record (81.25%), 36-12 conference record (75.00%), and 5-1 bowl record (83.33%). Coach Meyer arrived in Gainesville after leading one of the greatest turnarounds in a college program by transforming the Bowling Green Falcons from a 2-9 team to a 9-3 MAC contender and first bowl game and victory in over a decade. He gained success in college football by confusing defenses with his spread-option/ zone-read offense, out-recruiting his competitors, and running practice sessions with unrelenting perfection. After transforming the Bowling Green football team, he put the Utah Utes football team on the map by guiding the first non-automatically qualifying team to a BCS bowl with a perfect 12-0 season.

Coach Meyer continued his success at Florida after choosing a position here instead of at one of his dream jobs at Notre Dame. His tenure at Florida had it ups and downs. Although he brought the Gators two championships, he is also remembered for the 30 arrests that occurred while he was coach. On the field, he succeeded at his goal of winning back the Swamp by going undefeated at home in 2005 and improving upon Ron Zook's 7-5 record by going 9-3 overall, 5-3 SEC with an Outback Bowl victory. His one obstacle to going to an SEC championship match in his first year was Steve Spurrier and the South Carolina Gamecocks. In 2006, he coached the Gators to a national championship with a 13-1 overall, 8-1 conference record and a 41-14 victory over his future team, the Ohio State Buckeyes. It was the Gator's first BCS bowl since 2001's Orange Bowl and first national championship since the 1996 Bowl Alliance national championship.

Urban Meyer coached the Gators to a 9-3 record in 2007, and guided Tim Tebow to becoming the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy. His Gators did not make it to the BCS Championship in 2007, but he made it there as an analyst in the booth in a preview of his follow-up job. In 2008 he did guide the Gators to a 13-1 record and a BCS championship, his second in three years, with a 24-14 victory over the Oklahoma Sooners. In 2009, he coached the Gators through a season in which they were ranked #1 all the way until the SEC Championship Game loss to Alabama. After the game, he was taken to the hospital for esophageal spasms. There wil always be plenty of debate as to what caused his ailment, but this author will merely say that Coach Meyer's 18-hour days and extreme personality took its toll. Urban Meyer briefly retired from the head coaching position, only to rejoin the team with the promise to do better at balancing work and health after his leave of absence. In 2010 he became the fastest coach to win 100 games, guided the team to a 7-5 record, and ended his Gator coaching career with a 37-24 win over Penn State in the Outback Bowl.

With his two national championships, he will be eligible for the Gator Ring of Honor in 2015. Currently, he is head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes, i.e. Gator Bait!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Seriously over Ray Graves? At least Graves didn't pull a Walter Camp (one of the first coaches to leave one job for another). Though probably more of a Petrino move now (pulling a Bear move or a Jackie Sherrill or a Johnny Majors Etc.) I would have taken him out of the top 30 just for the act of treason (he should still be on the list don't get me wrong). It's hard to completely hate because of the two titles and one game away from being three. The big thing that bothers me the most is of him leaving is he said he left because it was too stressful and a year later (not even) He comes back to coach the program that's more of a pressure cooker than Florida (TOSU). OK that's debatable really. I hope that Indiana and/or Northwestern pulls a upset against them, and see how the fans act there. Though not the worst acts of treason by a former gator coach. He didn't take away any of the titles.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Seriously over Ray Graves? At least Graves didn't pull a Walter Camp (one of the first coaches to leave one job for another). Though probably more of a Petrino move now (pulling a Bear move or a Jackie Sherrill or a Johnny Majors Etc.) I would have taken him out of the top 30 just for the act of treason (he should still be on the list don't get me wrong). It's hard to completely hate because of the two titles and one game away from being three. The big thing that bothers me the most is of him leaving is he said he left because it was too stressful and a year later (not even) He comes back to coach the program that's more of a pressure cooker than Florida (TOSU). OK that's debatable really. I hope that Indiana and/or Northwestern pulls a upset against them, and see how the fans act there. Though not the worst acts of treason by a former gator coach. He didn't take away any of the titles.

My criteria was based on accomplishments, not personal preferences. I hate ranking him above Ray Graves, but he did things that Ray Graves never did--win two national championships and two SEC championships. Urban Meyer will qualify for the Gator Ring of Honor, but Ray Graves never will. It's only fair when ranking the Greatest Gators to count the things that make them great.

Think about it. Gator fans have been clamoring for relevance and greatness for generations, and that is what Urban brought to us. We give him flak because of how it ended, but as fans we do drive coaches crazy. Outside the Southeast, we are known to be spoiled and obnoxious. As a card-carrying member of the spoiled and obnoxious club, I had to create a ranking system that took the emotion out of the rankings. My personal #2 favorite Gator, Wayne Pease, barely made it to #100 after I fixed my own rating scale!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema