• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2008 defense

UFtb

VIP Member
I'm a bit concerned about our defense in 2008. I know they were very young in 07 and that's why they weren't good, but now the Gators have lost their defensive coach and their best line player in Harvey. I'm worried that we won't see any improvements.

SexyRexy

Gator Fan
If our cornerback play can improve, then we'll be fine. I think the safeties and d-line will be fine too. It's all about jamming the WRs and shutting them down.

sammy

VIP Member
The gators defense will still be young next year, but they're returning a lot of guys so we should see some improvement.

I sure hope so.

I have to believe that we will be better next year on defense, but I want to actually see what we are putting on the field before I make a prediction.

TeBoWTiMe

Gator Fan
meyer is bringing in a lot of speed players. That's key to success in the SEC. I think the Gators will be right back on top in 2008.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I was more concerned about our defense last season than I am going into this season; our starters have, for the most part, gained much-needed gametime experience. Injuries were a big concern last season (IMO losing Jeremy Finch with a season-ender hurt us the most), but if we can keep our guys healthy it'll work to our benefit.

This year's recruiting class brought in some much-needed reinforcements to our D-line; I look for Justin Trattou to be the leader in 2008. IMO Will Hill could make a impact right away at safety. Major Wright will only get stronger in the secondary as well. Our linebackers, especially Dustin Doe and Brandon Spikes, were able to pick up where Brandon Siler and Earl Everett left off in 2006 and make plays, but my only real concern right now.is at cornerback. Joe Haden was able to step up after being moved there from WR last year and was impressive, but it took awhile for Wondy Pierre-Louis to kick his game up a notch.

Much of our defensive issues last season were due to inexperience as we had lost nine starters after 2006; it helped us to have Derrick Harvey and Tony Joiner stay on to provide some leadership.

Greg Mattison and Doc Holliday are gone, but we recently brought Dan McCarney in to fill one of the coaching vacancies. Coach Meyer has one more coaching slot to fill on the defensive side, and I'm sure he'll being somebody in who can be effective.

Overall, we should be in better shape on defense going into this season than we were last year.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Would Finch been better than Wright if Finch wasn't hurt last season? Injuries took a toll on the D-Line to the point where the Gators were using the 3-4 Defense and putting Michael Pouncey in DT (Where is he guy to play next year?).

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Would Finch been better than Wright if Finch wasn't hurt last season? Injuries took a toll on the D-Line to the point where the Gators were using the 3-4 Defense and putting Michael Pouncey in DT (Where is he guy to play next year?).

Finch would have been a decent playmaker had he not been injured, but I couldn't really compare him to Wright since his season was shortened due to that injury. Wright was also hampered by that broken thumb and played with a cast on his right hand until it healed.

Some questioned Meyer's decision to move Mike Pouncey to the D-line, but desperate times called for desperate measures and as things turned out it was the right decision to make.

One player who really concerns me on our D-line is Javier Estopinan; he's been injury-prone since he's been at UF.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema