• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fire Meyer?

ShortBus

VIP Member
I don't think some of u truly understand why some of us are concerned. Its not that we lost 4 games. Yes we expected that. But its how we loss. Just plain ugly. Extremely ugly

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Firing Urban is just plain rididculous...

Everyone knew this year would be a drop off from last, look at what we lost. People need to calm down.

Does this team has issues? Absolutley. Should Addazio be a coach? Prolly not. Def not the O coordinator. But for people to people begging for Meyer to step down/be fired is absurd.

Urban knows what hes doing. Hes prooven that in his time at Florida.

Well I disagree with you. in 2005 we did expect a drop off but we seen improvement game to game. Leak was getting used to Meyers offense and they tweaked it to fit him. Even in the loss to Michigan in 2007 we looked OK not great but a team that was def gonna get better next year which it did. They have had 3 years to " tweak this offense for when Tebow left and Brantley took over and it looks like garbage. Brantley has zero excuses on his performance in games. Other then maybe the first game when he found out Pouncey cant snap a ball he should of adjusted to game situations. He is supposed to be some great passer yet he constantly over throws receivers. He has not been that accurate. He looks like no where near the starting QB he should be after 3 years. He has had time to learn this offense and sit behind Tebow and become a leader yet he has not. Addazio has ran this offense for 2 years and it has gotten worse. I cant express how much Tebow made this offense look good last year. He had a lot of talent on offense last year yet we get blown out by Alabama in the SEC title game. If this year did not show us Addazio true colors then what will. He has no ability to lead a offense. Two areas where we were supposed to be good ( offensive line and QB ) he is in charge of down right stink. I know he is not the QB coach but he calls the plays for the QB so you would hope he sees what Brantley can and cant do but he has called options plays in the past with him. Now we get this " 3 headed monster QB " which no doubt helped us beat Georgia and Vandy and we hardly see it in the SC game. Reed had 7 passing attempts and 8 rushing attempts. Burton had 1 passing attempt and 1 rushing attempt. What the hell happened to the " 3 headed QB " offense we heard so much of after the Georgia and Vandy game? Why does Meyer continue to stick up for this man? Why is Urban not pissed that Debose had only 2 receptions, Rainy had only 5 carries, Demps had 2? Why are people not pissed that a game that was this important, we fail to get our play makers involved? Meyer is the head coach and the buck stops with him. Even TV announcers are wondering whats going on. There is no excuse other than horrible coaching on why we look so bad this long into the season. I have trusted Meyer in the past but I think he is letting friendship and " seniors" cloud his view on how to run a program. I know he can get it back but it will take tough decision which I don't believe he will make. Like I have said in past posts I am in a wait and see mode. My gut tells me I may be waiting another year but I hope I am wrong. One more thing some one please show Meyer and his " staff " our stats, If that don't scare the shit out of you nothing will.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Chris Leak was a great QB. That trooper learned three offenses in three years under two head coaches in two totally different systems. He changed his game by doing whatever it took to win. He quietly led a football team to a national championship.

Johnny Brantley is a great guy. Nice personality. He can take my daughter home and watch G-rated movies anytime. Too bad none of those qualities help his win-loss ratio or quarterback rating. He can't lead a football team to save his life. His stats put him somewhere in the bottom of the barrel for all college quarterbacks in a Tier 1 program. Blame Addazio. Blame Meyer. Blame the offensive line. Who 'effing cares whose fault it is? I put up a comparison of other QBs in similar offenses, some with offensive lines as bad as ours. Granted, none of those other teams have an OC as bad as ours. Hence, it makes sense for every armchair QB on earth to blame Addazio more so than Brantley. Now throw in Jordan Reed and/or Trey Burton. Now Brantley looks even worse than any other QB and we run out of excuses to defend him, other than blaming the three-headed system that Addazio installed to cover up the ineptitude of Brantley in this system. Who cares whose fault it is? At the end of the day, we have seen that the offense moves forward just a little further without Brantley wasting oxygen on the football field.

Fire Meyer. Fire Addazio. Bench Brantley. I don't care. Just make a decision that re-instills the fanbase's confidence in these coaches. Negativity is running rampant not just because of the losing, but HOW WE ARE LOSING. Texas has lost more games than us, and they are ranked higher in all categories of the game. Losing is okay, but being a loser is not okay. Losers have no offensive TDs for 90% of the game. Losers have a QB rating under 100. Losers cannot complete 50% of their passes. Losers curl up into a ball like a little b!tch when the defense blitzes. Losers catch their own ball for a 10 yard loss rather than batting the ball down. Losers cannot inspire greatness in teammates. Losers demand that an offense changes for one player, rather than changing for the team. I'm done.

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
MEYER IS NOT GETTING FIRED OR RETIRING!!! Just the thought is idiotic. COME ON! WTF! We get a bad O. Coor. and a QB who throws like shit and cant run for shit and everybody is talking bout meyer. You really did forget about those 2 championships he brought us in 4 years.... For the people who think like me sorry u had to read this, for the people who r doggin meyer F U!

JvilleJohnny

Guys, This is ridiculous. Fire Meyer? really? We are one of the two youngest teams in the entire FBS. We are playing 17 true freshmen. not to mention a BUNCH of new coaches. Any other team would be under .500 right now. Its amazing what Meyer was able to do over the bye week. I'm not sure why that game plan was abandoned last night, but whatever.

We can still win these last two games and possibly win the bowl game. And be 9-4. In a rebuilding year, I think that would be pretty damn good. Next year we are getting a very promising QB in Driskel. He fits Meyer's system perfectly from what I've seen.

To think of firing a coach just 2 years off of a National Championship season, and 1 year off of a 13-1 season is absolutely crazy.

Get ahold of yourselves.:gator:

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Guys, This is ridiculous. Fire Meyer? really? We are one of the two youngest teams in the entire FBS. We are playing 17 true freshmen. not to mention a BUNCH of new coaches. Any other team would be under .500 right now. Its amazing what Meyer was able to do over the bye week. I'm not sure why that game plan was abandoned last night, but whatever.

We can still win these last two games and possibly win the bowl game. And be 9-4. In a rebuilding year, I think that would be pretty damn good. Next year we are getting a very promising QB in Driskel. He fits Meyer's system perfectly from what I've seen.

To think of firing a coach just 2 years off of a National Championship season, and 1 year off of a 13-1 season is absolutely crazy.

well said, atleast someone else on here is a TRUE gator fan!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let's move Brantley to center. He is not very useful anywhere else. Placeholder maybe?

Not a bad idea--he's USED to catching errant snaps, and when that time comes that you need the "fake-kick-and-throw", maybe he won't overthrow the hot receiver...

The Zooker

VIP Member
As I've mentioned in other threads, now that I'm sober and refreshed, I don't think firing Meyer is a legit scenario for us at this time. I will only consider it as an option if we start the 2011 season with Addazio as our offensive coordinator. Addazio needs to be focused on getting a very young and inexperienced offensive line ready for 2011. That is unit that will lose the absolute most from departing players. Every other unit will be fine. Although the whole QB thing is up in the air.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
MEYER IS NOT GETTING FIRED OR RETIRING!!! Just the thought is idiotic. COME ON! WTF! We get a bad O. Coor. and a QB who throws like shit and cant run for shit and everybody is talking bout meyer. You really did forget about those 2 championships he brought us in 4 years.... For the people who think like me sorry u had to read this, for the people who r doggin meyer F U!

OK. I've tried to treat you with some patience and respect--more than you have shown anyone who doesn't agree with YOU, BTW--which is anyone who dares to question your god (small "g" on purpose).
You can use all the large letters and exclamation points you like, it doesn't change or hide the fact that you are an arrogant, loud-mouthed twit. Perfect for this current regime's head-of-the-cheering-section.
You try to browbeat the folks who have presented facts and reasons for their conclusions--in lieu of your own thinking, you try the blog-equivalent of yelling over them while you try to rally the mob, some imagined "silent majority" you think is waiting out there with baited breath to support you. Sorry little thin-skinned would-be bully, aside from JvilleJohnie, they ain't out there. This attempt at bullying will fail. We will not miss you.

Escambia94

We can possible fix 2010 with two simple changes--put in Reed and Burton as alternating QBs and play all the freshmen that need experience. Give Brantley the clipboard and a headset. Some QBs are just good at that, and they magically do well off the bench and maybe even become good assistant coaches. See Noah Brindise. What would this do? It would give the freshmen the experience they need for 2011.

We can definitely right the ship in 2011. One of two things needs to happen in the off-season: beef up the offensive line to protect Brantley, or keep that porous o-line and start any of the other QBs that has a good camp. I know, nobody PLANS on having a bad o-line. What I mean is that some expert in o-lines whose name rhymes with Addazio is just going to have to get better at evaluating linemen and matching their strengths to the QB they are protecting. Demps will be healthy. Rainey will stop texting women--heck, go gay if that makes the team better. The defense will be a year smarter and more experienced.

2012 is looking good. No more excuses by then.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Agree with getting freshmen in the game now. They need to start cycling in the young guys on a fast rotation on the O line. We are going to be in trouble next season with only one full time starter coming back -- Nixon. He'll have the LT spot. At least Halapio is getting some solid work in right now. Lord knows he needs it. Hopefully James Wilson will stay healthy. Those two will wrap up the guard positions. We all know Patchan won't stay healthy. So we'll have to have a young guy step up at RT. And then we need to hope Robey or some other young guy can step up at Center. No matter what happens, it's going to be a young and inexperienced line. They are going to need a lot of coaching.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member

Wait think about it. We play 17 freshman, we do not start 17 freshman.Looking at our offensive performance you would think we started 11 freshman. I am willing to bet a majority of the 17 freshman playing are on special teams. I cant think of one that is actually a skill position other then Burton which was not used that much in the SC game. I think we all understand what we did in the last 5 years but what are we really rebuilding. Brantley, More, Rainy, Demps, Pouncy, Black, Hill, Jenkins, Nixon, Gilbert, Johnson, Thompson, Moody, Williams, Hicks and Jones, Lemmons, and Trattou are not freshman. I agree we are young but we do not start that many true freshman. I can only buy that young thing for so long. If we are that young for the sake of argument then why have we not seen any progress this late in the season? Are we to believe that our play book is so hard to understand that these freshman can not learn it? I think people are missing the point. I am not expecting perfection. I understood that it was gonna be a tough season. I didn't expect to be undefeated. If the SC game was the first game of the season I would probably understand but this is not the case. We have heard all year the " we had a good week of practice" then game time comes and we look like crap. I would shut up if Meyer just bench some of these seniors who think they are entitled to start cause they been here for 4 years and put some freshman in. Pouncey already pissed me off at the beginning we he called out the freshman class then plays like shit all year. He is a joke to me as far as I am concerned. His brother was the real deal and he needed to take notes from him. I believe all most gator fans what is some accountability on the coaches part and see some freaking progress. I'm so tired of the excuses.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We can possible fix 2010 with two simple changes--put in Reed and Burton as alternating QBs and play all the freshmen that need experience. Give Brantley the clipboard and a headset. Some QBs are just good at that, and they magically do well off the bench and maybe even become good assistant coaches. See Noah Brindise. What would this do? It would give the freshmen the experience they need for 2011.

We can definitely right the ship in 2011. One of two things needs to happen in the off-season: beef up the offensive line to protect Brantley, or keep that porous o-line and start any of the other QBs that has a good camp. I know, nobody PLANS on having a bad o-line. What I mean is that some expert in o-lines whose name rhymes with Addazio is just going to have to get better at evaluating linemen and matching their strengths to the QB they are protecting. Demps will be healthy. Rainey will stop texting women--heck, go gay if that makes the team better. The defense will be a year smarter and more experienced.

2012 is looking good. No more excuses by then.

(SIGH) If Meyer were to suddenly show clear signs of taking this team in this direction, I'd be ready to embrace that kind of optimism again--but the clearest sign would be to start by demoting (or even better, at this point, firing) Addazio.
I suppose he could still do it at the END of the season, but why wait at this point, if that's where you're going? I get the feeling it's not just loyalty that prevents it, but agreement--which in turn gives me a sinking feeling: What if Urban knows it's been HIS philosophy and scheme as well, and he has no other ideas on where to go, what to do instead? What if he really DOES think it's all the players' fault, that they haven't worked enough, haven't learned enough, haven't performed enough like he imagines it "ought to work" on game day?
Between what we've got already and what's "on the way", we WILL have all the raw materials for what can one day be a great team. We've wasted more than half-a-season with an outdated, non-functional scheme on offense--and haven't even begun to get game-experience for those "too-slow-developing" freshmen. How about getting them in there NOW, with little left BUT the future? Another way our Head Coach could show signs of looking ahead to change. We might even see some "blossom", and help us win a game or two...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Now YOU, and the one guy you agree with, are the "true Gator fans"?
Let me tell you something:
I am a combat vet, and I neither liked nor accepted it when that flag-waving draft-dodger, "W" told us:
"You're either with us, or AGAINST us."
Likewise, I am a LONG-time Gator AND a long-time Gator FAN, and I neither like nor accept YOUR hollow, arrogant and self-righteous pronouncement. I don't care who you are or what label you get to affix to your user name.

Escambia94

(SIGH) If Meyer were to suddenly show clear signs of taking this team in this direction, I'd be ready to embrace that kind of optimism again--but the clearest sign would be to start by demoting (or even better, at this point, firing) Addazio. ...

To be honest, I do believe that Meyer has lost his edge as the brightest offensive mind in college football. He had it two years ago, started losing it a year ago, and is almost out of juice. We have him until 2012, at least that is my assumption. It's not too late to squeeze some juice out of him even in 2010, but he has to wake up and modify his Plan to Win and his personnel. We can still win three more games this year--Appalachia, SOW, and Loser Bowl--by benching some veterans or promoting some freshmen. The SEC East is within reach in 2011. We can still win the SEC in 2012 with most of these coaches and a modified offensive and defensive scheme with the right recruits plugged in. We have lost that dominance that we enjoyed until this year, and if Foley is not working behind the scenes to reel in Malzahn, Kelley, or Petersen then we have to reluctantly support Meyer through 2012 to see if Meyer has an ounce of juice left to squeeze out. We may not have another choice.

Meyer will regain some support from his naysayers if he does SOMETHING with Addazio right now or at the end of the season. Demote. Fire. Anything. I doubt he can hire a top-tier OC before 2011--he does not have any connections left that have not moved on to other programs. It is not too late to show that he can adapt even more than he has. He has modified his offense before by trusting his assistants. The Banzai? Borrowed from Oklahoma, installed by Azzanni. Good modification, bad execution--or wrong personnel. Maybe it was just too late in the season. Three-headed QB monster was just a band-aid.

This 2010 offense needed a Leak-Tebow or Tebow-Harvin backfield. Now, if Moooody were a better tailback, or Demps/Rainey were a lot bigger, and the o-line recruited for the pro-style, the John Brantley Experiment may have worked. Meyer and his staff may have tried to update their Plan, but as we can see, it failed. Meyer gets points from me for trying, but he needs help at the OC position to be more creative with the kids he has on the field next year.

We all look across the pasture and want Malzahn, but we can't copy that scheme without or own Cam Newton. Jordan Reed could run that, but not Brantley. Brantley would work well in the Petersen/Harsin offense at Boise State, which looks like the offense that we saw in the Gator Orange and Blue debut. The problem there is that o-line does not look anything like the O&B game o-line.

In summary: Urban Meyer has some juice in him. He is no longer the top offensive mastermind, but with some help at OC he can still win some games by modifying his own Plan. Give him until 2012 to prove it. If Addazio is still OC in 2011, it will become Driskel's job to be our Tebow or Newton or Kellen Moore--Brantley lacks that quality. (Or, Burton or Reed could have an epiphany and be "that guy"--that would be faster.)

Escambia94

Whoa. I did not see that comment until after reading DRU2012's reply. I will jump on this one. In 2007 I walked across an 'effing desert lined with mines and improvised explosive devices to catch a Gator game. Literally. I think we lost that game. I was lucky that Armed Forces Radio and Television Service (AFRTS, pronounced A-farts) carried the Gator game, which they carried due to high demand. There was a lot of demand, because a lot of old people suffered through many hard years where we were mediocre. Mediocre teams with no fanbase do not get shown on AFRTS, or any network other than Florida Sports Network and the Sun Network. The true Gator fans are the ones that do complain on a forum but still support the team because they don't want to revert back to the mediocre status of yesteryear. Heck. If the Gators fanbase dwindles, I will not be able to catch them on TV out here in Texas, much less Iraq or Afghanistan. True Gator fans? When was the last time you walked through a mine field to catch a game? Then again, anybody still visiting the forum that does not say "Gators suck" is still a true fan.

The Zooker

VIP Member
We all look across the pasture and want Malzahn, but we can't copy that scheme without or own Cam Newton. Jordan Reed could run that, but not Brantley. Brantley would work well in the Petersen/Harsin offense at Boise State, which looks like the offense that we saw in the Gator Orange and Blue debut. The problem there is that o-line does not look anything like the O&B game o-line.

Malzahn doesn't actually require a running QB like Cam. This is his first year with that type of QB. He made a name for himself by setting records with traditional QB's and RB's. But this just proves that the guy is adaptable. Give him the players and he puts them to their best use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema