• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

10/18/14 (?): Gator Groundhog, I Mean, GAME Day, I Mean--Aw Hell, Y'all Know What I Mean

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
THAT was Treon's only chance? Driskel BACK???
I'm tellin' ya, Muschamp was LOOKING for an excuse. FUCK MUSCHAMP, FUCK FOLEY, and =to Treon Harris, "We are SO sorry for this, man...Hang in there, don't leave unless they DON'T fire Muschamp (and if he's still here I'LL be thinking about "leaving"...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I can't watch this offense anymore, guys. And the D is already tired--a NINE-MINUTE drive against them (ball out again on a 2 yd route--on 3rd and 5! Christy muffs the snap--then somehow rugby's it away 36 yds anyway...This "comedy of errors" is only funny to folks in Missouri..)
I am now "officially" OUT of here, friends. Sorry, but I can't think of one thing I wouldn't RATHER do than watch this team play a moment longer. No shit. Sorry.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Oh--and 17,000 no-shows in the Swamp tonight. THAT at LEAST has to be noted by "the folks that matter". Take care, we'll talk more later.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The team has quit on Mushie( don't blame them) Maybe Foley will dump him at halftime.
Noticed this earlier and mentioned same thing...Not watching it anymore, btw--but wabdered out to the kitchen, stopped to change channels away from the game on the living room screen, just in time to see Driskel on the field AGAIN, paused long ewnough to say aloud, "NO! How can even HE stay with Driskel now, never gave Treon even HALF a chance here..."--and just as I was gonna press the Power button saw JD throw the INT deep. RIGHT to the defender, first chance he got. Oh, THIS is a CLINIC in "Bad Coaching kills decent team-of-talent"...Now, if it turns out to be one for "How To Get Yourself Fired Quickly", it'll all at least BE for something...As it stands, this is just another "who we REALLY are"-demo--and as much an indictment of Foley's "leadership" as it is Muschamp's overall performance of HIS duties.
OK, now ALL the TVs are either offed or changed (I'll watch "Dr. Who" over a light dinner, then head out), so I'm really done-for-now.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
That is it! Yep. I have unlinked all my Facebook notifications related to the Florida Gators football team, turned off all my ESPN notifications, and turned off all my Twitter notifications related to football. I cannot take this any more.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Really wish I wouldn't have bought those VANDY game tickets. At this point Idont even want to watch on TV let alone go in person. SMH. I hope this fool is fired Monday morning. I don't see how boosters can not be ready to kill Foley at this point!!!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
('Bout to head out...Haven't been watching since my last post 90 minutes or more ago--and am not watching now, don't know score and don't CARE to know anything about the details of what I was CERTAIN would be a loss, only "How bad?" being the operative Q going in, and want to keep my short comments here, before leaving, "pure".)
This is one messed up team right now--and yet the program as a whole can be saved, not slide much further toward DEEP sh*t, near-oblivion if these blind fools are allowed to keep further entangling us, and more importantly, a whole squad full of impressionable, fully-f*cked-in-the-HEAD-when-they-re--finally-done-with-them young players. (For eg, look at the damage they've managed to do to young Treon, with just one series in there, the exact WRONG series, and that after two weeks when he didn't play at all, was sat for all the wrong reasons--then he's literally "set up to fail" and when he does, is immediately sat-down AGAIN...GEEZ, are they TRYING to ruin him???)
Those of you, aweb, Dale, mg, E- and virtually everyone ELSE here who are now to-varying-degrees DONE with this Head Coach AND HIS "supporter/benefactor", one J. Foley, are (like myself) quite justified in cutting ourselves off, in effect "cutting the cord" that has connected us unquestioningly to everything Gator for so long. It is a radical, painful step in and of itself--but this long, slowly intensifying, seeming pain-without-end is just unbearable--BECAUSE we DO care so much. That's the thing outsiders have never understood about Gator Nation: It is exactly because WE CARE SO MUCH, HURT so much with any loss and/or set-back, let alone THIS kind of HOPELESSNESS surrounding such unyielding suffering, that drives us to react with such anger, to flee in droves from what other fans of other teams have come to accept as "just the way it goes, most seasons". Not us--and it WILL get our "powers that be" off their collective asses. The boosters are already there, aweb--have been for some time, most of them, and that will be a full on, shrill cry-in-unison now. Foley will HAVE to move now if he wants to keep his job, but he's so far gone in denial himself that he still may not really "get it", not enough anyway. (Btw, I'm really into this inductive-logic reasoning that has been working this through for awhile now: "Foley is to Muschamp as Muschamp is to Driskel...A=B=C, THEREFORE..." Well, never mind all that--)
This IS "the turning point"--only it's "late in the game", and isn't clear yet if the wheels will turn quickly enough now, the various personages manage to surmount their own social inertia and tendencies towards cautious butt-covering to make enough of a difference in HOW LONG IT IS TAKING, how much time and distance between us and the properly-functioning programs continues to widen as they plod through all the steps, even IF they get it all right this time. But I think it's no longer open-to-question in the slightest: Still a lotta pitfalls, and in the meantime it's excruciating to watch (almost as bad as the actual performance on the field!), but I think we'll see less debate and more activity in pursuit of "the next step", the next guy, the next real moves towards FUTURE Gator-SUCCESS.
High time we all got on the same page, put shoulder-to-wheel and worked on THAT--and SHOW THE DOOR to those blocking that effort.
For all of us, THAT is the one hope left, the ONLY hope we've got immediately ahead, to see that acknowledged and at least a beginning to all the things that are part of the changes that MUST come, are clearly long overdue, and at least begin to see all the signs that THAT is what we must, will and ARE actually DOING.
Anything less , any further return to stalling, making excuses, will seem a kind of malicious torture--it goes beyond "frustrating" and "blind stupidity" now--and since that is how I see AND feel it, and people often managing to UNDERshoot my low-expectations, I will refrain from further specific discussion of our team, personnel, strategies on and/or off the field until we see that "HAS-to-be-imminent change" actually begin to manifest in-public in some pretty obvious ways. Hope we don't have long to wait.

Escambia94

My trusted reporters on Twitter have stated that Foley looked angry and did not acknowledge Muschamp. I guess the honeymoon is over, Muschamp.

If the BYE week does not signify goodbye to Muschamp, then it should at least mark the beginning of the end. The Gators are 3-3 and need to win 3 more games out of Georgia, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, and Forced Sex University. Yeah, right. There might be 2 wins there in VU and Eastern Kentucky. If Muschamp defeats Spurrier this year, it will only be because Spurrier feels sorry for Muschamp and likes having an easy win (in years not like this one, which is essentially in the trash for USCe).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
My trusted reporters on Twitter have stated that Foley looked angry and did not acknowledge Muschamp. I guess the honeymoon is over, Muschamp.

If the BYE week does not signify goodbye to Muschamp, then it should at least mark the beginning of the end. The Gators are 3-3 and need to win 3 more games out of Georgia, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, and Forced Sex University. Yeah, right. There might be 2 wins there in VU and Eastern Kentucky. If Muschamp defeats Spurrier this year, it will only be because Spurrier feels sorry for Muschamp and likes having an easy win (in years not like this one, which is essentially in the trash for USCe).
Of COURSE Foley would look angry: He put all HIS eggs in the "Muschamp-basket"--and like Muschamp himself, has had a LOT of trouble facing the concept that his CHOICE was the wrong one. Now HIS job's on the line--and he HAS to BLAME someone (ALSO like Muschamp--but at least Muschamp has the grace to empathize with his over-burdened, under-performing young charge, and will continue to at least outwardly blame everyone ELSE...Might even take on some of the blame himself, however belatedly...Foley, on the other hand--and I am really starting to develop strong contempt for the man--won't take one iota of the responsibility for any, let alone all he has wrought...Might get us a change all the faster now as he moves to save his own ass, but HIS version of "too little too late" deserves a quick heave-ho out the same damn door as his Coach, and little of the same sense of the tragic surrounding Muschamp's failure...Foley is the very "type" who tend to survive these kinds of "real politic" situations, there being little justice in this world, after all).
...Which brings us to another thought running round my gourd, this one I'm thinking maybe even deserving its very own thread for us to knock around in--but here it is, nonetheless:
We REALLY suck--and we really SHOULDN'T, not with the talent already assembled here. This is a real thorough and convincing demonstration of the differences between good and bad coaching, how MUCH difference it can make, and how the differences aren't so much a single large failing as a myriad of small ones, a series of neither obvious nor especially egregious errors-of-judgment. Poor choices that don't necessarily SEEM so wrong at the time, may NOT be in any other but that particular situation or set of circumstances, but together eventually culminate in something like THIS--a pattern-of-results that are just totally WRONG. You'd have to feel sorry for whomever was in charge--except when you remember how stubbornly they proceeded down that path, refusing to see the signs, if anything both neglecting to backtrack AND compounding it with more-of-the-same. So maybe there's a "large failing" or two underlying all the rest after all.
But still, either way, WE SUCK AMAZINGLY now, really stupifyingly so even to we who have been screaming "Look out for that TRAIN that's gonna hit us!" since it appeared on the horizon--while these fools played on the tracks, their backs to it, if they'd all just TURN AROUND AND LOOK.
Now it's hit, crushed us and is moving on--and it's blame-time. Thing is, there are still survivors, a mess to clean up, plenty still worth saving--and another train's on the way, nothing stops the schedule OR the future, and getting to work is a WHOLE lot more important now than focusing on who's at fault. Except for getting them OUT of the way, eliminating as many as possible from the chain-of-command, and getting ON with the job at hand. Same "job" as always: Making the Florida Gators the best they can possibly be, or at least try--and that's a goal that is lofty, has seldom even been approached, but well worth the trouble and effort. We've fallen WAY behind. At this point, I'm hoping we can dispense with as much of the hand-wringing as possible, at least for the moment, and GET TO IT.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Wish I were close enough to the program (and psychology) to understand how and why the team doesn't respond to Muschamp. It's like a QB needing the "it" factor. Can't be put on a resume, can't be measured. But, it's painfully obvious that neither Driskel nor Muschamp have "it". Some teams would have rallied for the coach and I guess the defense kinda did. But, the offense and special teams were tighter than the proverbial "hat band". Don't know why and at this point could not care less. It's time to move on.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wish I were close enough to the program (and psychology) to understand how and why the team doesn't respond to Muschamp. It's like a QB needing the "it" factor. Can't be put on a resume, can't be measured. But, it's painfully obvious that neither Driskel nor Muschamp have "it". Some teams would have rallied for the coach and I guess the defense kinda did. But, the offense and special teams were tighter than the proverbial "hat band". Don't know why and at this point could not care less. It's time to move on.
It finally hit me about the same time it hit others both in and out of the program...In my case, it was something goin' round inside my head, something I had noticed and hadn't quite put my finger on--until my friend INSIDE the program said it almost in-passing:
"I dunno...It's like they're all wound up, but not in a good way; Underneath, even after good days of practice--and especially on game days, even when it seems they are READY--this team is TIGHT..."
Something hit me then. I looked closer, listened closer to what he and others on-the-scene said, read certain insiders' columns a little differently, watched what happened, especially in-game and especially ESPECIALLY paid attention to everything leading up to those games, and it became clear and undeniable: This team IS "tight", PLAYS tight.
That's what we're seeing--and it makes sense, just based on what anyone, certainly all the rest of us who AREN'T even "on the inside" can see with our own eyes. With the way Muschamp acts on the sidelines, what he says the rest of the time, the rules concerning who can talk to the media, etc., and certain signs finally surfacing in the public record (things like that stupid "cleats-incident", etc., that turn out to be just the literal "tip-of-the-iceberg" that came out only 'cause the police were somehow called in--but there have been MANY others)--and the results, not just the final scores but all the "stumbling/bumbling/fumbling" in the games themselves, are exactly what you expect when a team is playing tight, indeed is "tight all the time", never "lets go", effectively isn't permitted to by the overbearing, overpowering influence of the top guy--in fact, by the very "top-down" chain-of-command that is even more a fact than elsewhere on THIS team, the way this Coach does things. Muschamp is especially anal in his micro-managing style--and both more influential AND "effective" in that influence among EVERYONE on his team, coaches and players alike.
So what happens? Is it any surprise, given all of the above? We screw up in games, from the start. In moderation, this sort of thing can have good results on-the-field, at least at first..."Out there", while playing, may be the "most relaxed" place and time for players on such a team--long as things go well and you DON'T screw up, have to face this mad maniac in front of everyone when you come OFF the field. Maybe that explains the 12-and-2 season (what by now seems was the anomaly, NOT "everything since") to some extent. By now everyone knows better, is PLAYING "not to screw up" for a coach who's COACHING "not to lose". So you get what we've seen the better part of EVERY GAME now, complete disaster against decent teams playing well--and only off-days by teams less talented than us have kept us in the other games late, given us "one play " chances to win at the end.
It isn't just the losing, or the parade of f*ck-ups (by now even on the part of our hugely talented defense, even before they inevitably wear down, earlier and earlier each game--and THAT'S a function of "playing tight" too: It just burns you out doing ANYTHING under that kind of pressure, with no respite). It's a lack of fun, no joy in any of it, and never a break in the feeling that you are "under the gun". No MAGIC. All the things that make a TEAM "more than the sum of its parts" are missing now. And this Coach doesn't get it, may NEVER "get it". Just keeps blaming this, that or them...Thinks he needs to bear down HARDER, that folks are letting HIM down.
Well, doesn't matter by now, won't matter WHAT he tries: He's effectively ruined this team. We MIGHT get a "lift" from simply his being fired, removed from the "top down"-bummer everyone on that squad is living every day. But it'll now take a special Coach to heal a lot of this on what's a "sick team", really--but if that "Next Guy" can pull it off, recognize the truth and get his new team to relax and TRUST him, he'll be able to do pretty well right from the start, I think, compete and bring us back while he's remaking the FEELING around the program, from the locker room OUT, even as he rebuilds and replenishes, slowly changing the whole nature of this team even more through the recruiting and "bringin' 'em along" the way he and his own hand-picked staff will have to do.
That's another thing I don't think Muschamp ever grasped: Your various coaches and assistants are the key to everything you will get credit for. Think about it: He's been losing staff and plugging new guys in, sometimes promoting before they're ready and sometimes bringing them in "out of left field", as if it didn't MATTER who they were or where they came from--let alone the idea that you develop relationships over the years with like-minded folk who you admire and trust., and vice versa.
Does any of this ring true with y'all? Got a feeling you could take it from here, add your own thoughts and insights to what I'm trying to flesh out here, explain and understand a complete FAILURE--if for no other reason than we have a better idea of what to look for in "the NEXT GUY". At least look for the warning signs in what to avoid.
Which brings us to FOLEY'S failure in all of this. "Failure" in his judgment, yes, his supposed "network of contacts" AND his "gut level, intuitive feel" (his own words at the time he was explaining why he went to Muschamp first, "had him in mind all along", "was my first,practically my ONLY choice", and hardly considered anyone else)...but failure TOO in how he's handled everything since--how he continues to (NOT) "handle it" now. I don't even WANNA talk about his own "Promise" anymore. He doesn't deserve to stay, but given the forces at work, his own sense of self-preservation, and that "other thing" brewing behind-the-scenes that apparently isn't ready to happen yet (I'm trying to get some "room to maneuver", to talk about this a little more freely and in more detail--I'm not a "journalist", and won't do anything to betray a friend's trust OR screw with "touchy sh*t" going on among some pretty big and sensitive egos--and, believe it or not, our little site, you guys in fact, are read by some pretty important "Gator People", I'm told: For some reason, they seem to think we're a "pretty fair cross section" of a "certain portion of the alumni", more articulate and expressive than most, which is handy to individuals who want to "feel the pulse" of their constituents--these are "politicians", when you boil it down, after all--but don't have that much "extra time" to work thru and weed out all the crap "out there"). Anyway, it all means that by expedience alone, Foley may well get to stay, at least for now--long as he finally does what he's been blocking even from consideration, sacks Muschamp, AND is seen to at least be doing things differently, "consulting and considering" the views, opinions and actual network-of-connections that surround him and are by now clamoring for his attention, at the very least. Gets it right, and he'd then be "allowed to stay", eventually go out with apparent dignity, on a successful note, as the "next phase", "A New Era With An Old Friend and Hero" is ushered in fairly seamlessly a few years down the line. That's the "dream scenario", anyway--Who knows how realistic or doable it all is gonna turn out to be?
But it's all still in Foley's hands at the moment, damnit. It all bodes poorly for us if even this is "messy", looks like it is done in a classless, "chaotic" sort of way, and the media cover it that way. Then we WILL have trouble, getting the right "Next Guy" by any way but pure, blind spin-the-wheel LUCK. And I don't LIKE depending on "luck", not under the BEST of circumstances...and these aren't those. Not even close to anything LIKE "the best of circumstances".

Escambia94

I think the players do not respond well to Muschamp because he is forcing them to take the game seriously. I know this sounds weird, but the other teams let their players cut loose, steal some crab legs/ rape some girls/ shoot some BB guns/ yell profanities disrespecting women (FSU and Winston), go underage drinking and driving/ get into fights/ yell racial remarks while drunk (TAMU and Manziel), get paid to play (Auburn and Newton), roll around town in new cards (Alabama), or smoke pot without repercussion as long as it does not make the headlines (Alabama, FSU, Auburn, LSU). Here we are kicking kids off the team or holding them off the field for the exact same transgressions.

So, we have to ask ourselves, "Do we want a clean football program or a winning one?" Apparently we cannot have both. If you do not believe me, go ahead and Google for all the things above that other football programs get away with. We hold ourselves to a higher standard. Jeremy Foley and Will Muschamp hold the kids to a higher standard. None of that translates to wins on the field. This is where the fans do not connect with Muschamp or Foley.

Escambia94

The fans don't need to connect with Muschamp. The team does....and they don't.

What I mean is that the fans do not care about how clean the program is as long as the team is winning. The fans are not connected with Jeremy Foley, whose job is to manage arguably the most successful of the athletic programs in college. Foley wants to win with a clean program. The fans just want to win. At this point, I have given up on clean winning and just want to stop being the laughing stock of the SEC; however, I do understand where Foley is coming from.

Furthermore on my point is that Muschamp does not connect well with his players that want to cut loose like athletes at other schools--smoke some pot, drink underage, get into fights. Florida has a higher standard of behavior than other schools, and Gainesville PD is there alongside University PD to enforce that higher standard. This is not Tuscaloosa or Tallahassee PD where crimes committed by athletes are swept under the rug as long as they do not make headlines.

miltongator

Gator Fan
I still believe it's possible to do it right AND win. I may be living in a dream world, but it's fun out here....come join me.
It's good to have a dream.

Escambia94

I still believe it's possible to do it right AND win. I may be living in a dream world, but it's fun out here....come join me.
It's good to have a dream.

I cannot share in this dream. I attended the University of Florida on a military scholarship, and I was the oddball that could not go out partying with everyone else that was smoking pot, going drinking and driving, and whatnot. If I can do it, then these kids can do it. If they do not like it, then they can go to Forced Sex University and win tainted national titles and get away with everything....wait...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema