• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Woo Hoo! Football Season...just a little bit more.....

gtrgrl97

VIP Member
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20070802/GATORS24/708020322/50_reasons_why_college_football_rules

but there are at least 50 reasons why college football is better. (I know this is hardly an original column idea but I'm really fired up about this college football season so give me a break).

1. Bands.

2. Fight songs.

3. Beautiful and historic campuses on a fall afternoon.

4. Overtime from the 25, both teams get the ball.

5. Friday games.

6. Noon games.

7. Even better, 10 p.m. games.

8. Pep rallies, especially if Gator Growl becomes relevant again.

9. College players have to worry about exams; pro players have to worry about which car to drive to the strip club.

10. Rivalries that split families and end friendships.

11. Bowl season.

12. Mascots that don't act like they are playing in the game.

13. Live mascots like Ralphie and Uga.

14. Stadiums that feel like stadiums instead of dance clubs.

15. Stadiums that aren't named after corporations.

16. Kissing your date after scores in College Station, Texas.

17. Watching the eagle swoop down to the field in Auburn, Ala.

18. Mr. Two Bits.

19. Signing day.

20. You can go unbeaten.

21. Student sections.

22. Trick plays that not only work but are brought out more than once a decade.

23. Ron Franklin, my favorite play-by-play guy not named Larry Munson.

24. No Michael Irvin.

25. No Michael Vick, although we might be able to say that about the NFL soon.

26. No Dan Dierdorf.

27. College GameDay, still the best thing on a network that is overhyping itself daily.(esp. when they like the Gators-lol-like a lot of last season...)
28. The signs behind the GameDay crew.

29. Running onto the field with genuine excitement instead of looking like you're auditioning for "So You Think You Can Dance?"

30. Tailgates. It's not even close and college tailgates last a lot longer.
31. Upsets. No matter what the spread is, it's rare to see an NFL result where your mouth drops open. It happens in college every Saturday.

32. The Heisman Trophy stays with you the rest of your life.

33. The passion. Go to a big college game on a Saturday and then an NFL game on a Sunday. I've done it many times. The difference in the "give-a-darn" is measured in light years.
34. Saturday mornings, waking up knowing there is a big game later in the day and feeling your stomach start to churn like a blender.
35. Sunday mornings, after a big win on Saturday when you have this glow about you and this feeling in your stomach because the night before you overdid it with your blender.

36. The SEC, where everything matters.
37. College towns.

38. Southern Cal's sweater-clad yell girls. You don't have to be falling out of your top to be sexy.

39. Traditions like the Tiger Walk, the Vol Navy, dotting the I in Columbus and touching Frank's Rock in Clemson.

40. Making fun of the way Beano Cook talks.

41. No wild card.

42. Sunday after your team wins a big game and the polls come out.
43. Games that seem so big you don't know if you can breathe.
44. Breathers.

45. Innovative offenses and formations.

46. No preseason games.

47. No trades, free agents, salary cap, mini-camps or physically unable to perform lists.

48. The possibility of a Florida-Illinois or Oklahoma-South Carolina bowl game.

49. Great team nicknames like the Hilltoppers, Golden Gophers, Tar Heels and Cornhuskers.

50. Tears. Nobody cries in the NFL because the games don't mean that much.

GREAT ARTICLE!!!

Swampman

VIP Member
I think the way overtime is run in college is a huge factor in drawing in the casual football fan.

And this one:
30. Tailgates. It's not even close and college tailgates last a lot longer.

greggcowan

VIP Member
I don't know if this appeared on the list or not....but I personally think the greatest thing about CFA is that every single game is a must win. You don't see that in any other sport on any level.

stewart

Gator Fan
Ya that's on the list. And it's very true. 1 loss and you're pretty much done... that is unless you play in the SEC :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema