• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Why is Florida State getting so much hype?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Let their expectations remain high, so they can be crushed, demoralized, and ruined. They are better than us on paper, maybe worthy of a 10-15 rank, but not top ten IMO. Since we are the big boys in the state, we should leave the inferiority complex to the fans in garnet and gold. My plan is to wish them luck on whatever overhyped expectations they have and avoid getting into this kind of discussion with a Nole fan. Between us Gator fans, I think they are overhyped for top ten, but better than us. I expect them to finish around 12-15. I think we will finish around 22-25. I expect them to beat us this year, but get overmatched in their bowl game.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wow, man--I guess I must have inadvertently at least SIPPED some of the "optimistic-Gator"-CoolAid. You and I started from pretty well the same place in terms of expectations for this season's Gator-squad a couple of months back, but in reading your response above, E-, I realize that I have somehow drifted into at least relatively greater confidence: I just don't think that the 'Noles ARE more talented than us, on paper or anywhere else--except in the press. I think they are WAY overhyped, that they've totally bought into it and are primed for a big fall--I think they get slapped down at LEAST once before we get them in the Swamp (OK, for one, and possibly elsewhere), and if we're healthy and things build the way I believe our Coach has in mind, we could be primed to whip them on National TV come end of the 3rd week in November.
I LOVE that they are rated so high and us so low in the meantime, though. Sets it all up nicelly.
As for where I think we SHOULD be ranked or where we'll be by the end of the year, there are too many questions still to be answered about where we're at even now, let alone what may happen in the weeks and months ahead, for me to even begin to assess that. The season could go in one of two basic directions for us, based on a few key factors (I discuss this elsewhere, on my "Surprise Team"-thread, and in specific response to your comment, E-).
For now, I know it's probably best for all of us, myself included, to temper our general expectations, "let the season come to us", in effect. Guess I'm chompin' at the bit, though. Who isn't, at this point?

Escambia94

I want to drift towards greater confidence, but frankly I am not ready for the heart break. I take this too seriously to let it drag me on an emotional roller coaster like last year. It is one of my flaws.

robdog

Gator Fan
Not a flaw, that is just football for you. I too get crazy involved with my teams. Just how it goes. :)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well maybe the so-called experts think FSU has a better shot on winning the ACC title then the Gators do with the SEC though I think the Gators can at least win the East.

noMoShebow

Gator Fan
Gators - winning the east? Not going to happen my friend.. the east will be taken by UGA or SC. As a Tennessee fan, I hate to admit it, but the Vols and Gators will be battling for THIRD in the east this year. Take it from somebody who was in the same denial over my program four years ago. Tough times are ahead Gator fans. You will bounce back, but first in the East is not your God-given right. You will be back, but not in the next two years. Sorry to burst your bubble. Go Gators (when you are playing anybody but TN)

Escambia94

Gators - winning the east? Not going to happen my friend.. the east will be taken by UGA or SC. As a Tennessee fan, I hate to admit it, but the Vols and Gators will be battling for THIRD in the east this year. Take it from somebody who was in the same denial over my program four years ago. Tough times are ahead Gator fans. You will bounce back, but first in the East is not your God-given right. You will be back, but not in the next two years. Sorry to burst your bubble. Go Gators (when you are playing anybody but TN)

Why two years? Just curious on your opinion. It is reasonable to assume USCe and UGA are better than UTe and UF in 2011...absolutely reasonable. What about 2012 and 2013? UF has recruited some strong classes for those two upcoming years. Again, just curious on your thoughts.

noMoShebow

Gator Fan
Why two years? Just curious on your opinion. It is reasonable to assume USCe and UGA are better than UTe and UF in 2011...absolutely reasonable. What about 2012 and 2013? UF has recruited some strong classes for those two upcoming years. Again, just curious on your thoughts.
To clarify, I meant 2011-2012 when I said the next two years. 2013 is anybody's guess IMO. I think the Gators will be much improved in 2012 but so will UT and UGA. UT will have an offensive line with 4 jrs and 1 sr by then, a so stud rb in Marlon Lane, a scary good Peyton-esque qb in Bray coming into fruition, 2 all-sec wrs in Hunter and Rogers and a defense almost certainly returning 90% of its starters, I just don't see anybody contending with TN for the east in 2012. Aaron Murray and the dawgs will peak in 2012 also. So though the Gators will have a shot in 2012 (when do they not?) they will certainly not dominate the way they have in recent years. 2013 is a wild guess and I don't know enough about he four relevant teams in the east to make an educated prediction.

Escambia94

To clarify, I meant 2011-2012 when I said the next two years. 2013 is anybody's guess IMO. I think the Gators will be much improved in 2012 but so will UT and UGA. UT will have an offensive line with 4 jrs and 1 sr by then, a so stud rb in Marlon Lane, a scary good Peyton-esque qb in Bray coming into fruition, 2 all-sec wrs in Hunter and Rogers and a defense almost certainly returning 90% of its starters, I just don't see anybody contending with TN for the east in 2012. Aaron Murray and the dawgs will peak in 2012 also. So though the Gators will have a shot in 2012 (when do they not?) they will certainly not dominate the way they have in recent years. 2013 is a wild guess and I don't know enough about he four relevant teams in the east to make an educated prediction.

Good analysis. I have to ask, because I watch FSU and UGA closely, but I really have nothing on UT. You make a good argument for UT. Thanks for the opinion! This could be a good sign that SEC East will be back on top and the media will stop dogging the East in favor of the West.

What I pull out of the discussion as a Gator fan first and foremost, SEC fan second, is that everybody is improving in the SEC, and that the near-term is the best time for Florida's opponents to gain momentum as we have at least one down year (yeah, I might be overly optimistic...you know Florida fans).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, I like it when that 3rd week in Sept. is a big game--means we're BOTH pretty good, playing on the national stage. Only time I got to really HATING Tennessee was that 1 year when Kiffykins was there--and that was on HIM...otherwise always respected 'em and didn't like to see them so down (that was ALSO on "him").
Having said that, I think that (1) (thanks to the "little jerk with the big mouth") you've still got a ways to go coming back, while we were never THAT far off (despite what you saw last year or HEAR from the media, the biggest problems may very well have been addressed), so that (2) we'll begin our "turn around" (for us, last year represented unacceptable mediocrity) this season and be pretty well "back" by next year.
Of course, this is ALL just partisan opinion until the season gets under way, the "string is played out"--and of course in OUR case specifically under scrutiny that 3rd week in September, as always!

Escambia94

I have never HATED Tennessee, other than the Kiffin era. In the 90s they were good opponents. The stadium is insane on game day. The fans are just as crazy as we are. No complaints. Now, Georgia is another story....

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hell, yes! (We're ALL goin' more'n a bit nuts by now, man, trust me...just gotta find ways to pass this next few weeks!)

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I don't think you can count out Florida taking the east. As terrible as we were last year, we still beat Georgia. And as for USC, I think they are the team to beat, but they could have a hangover from last seasons success, or a freak injury to Lattimore. Aaaaand I still don't think Garcia is too good at QB.

As for UT, I haven't followed them too much, but the same team doesn't show up each week. They have battled Florida, LSU, and Alabama in some games these past few years, but then look terrible in other games.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(laughter) No surprise you feel that way, I.A. ; can't say I don't have the same gut-feeling , if it were MY decision. Our fear of course is that #12 always dazzles in practice and "garbage time" but crumbles when it counts.
Still, whatever the reasons, this coaching staff appears united in their confidence and support for Brantley as the starter going into the start of the season. As I've said before, I can only hope that either (1) I'm wrong and that all the factors already spoken of--new coaches (especially Weis, as "QB-redeemer"), new "pro-style" scheme, new confidence and a healthy O-line functioning well together as a unit--will mean a "new Brantley", or (2) unlike before, THESE coaches will be watching very closely, and the moment they see signs of "the old Brantley" missing his check-offs, missing his receivers, the poise evaporated and replaced by last year's floundering, they begin their "move to Plan B". I gather it isn't clear yet who's ahead in the back-up role, but if Brantley fails early on, they're faced with a choice: go with the guy who is ahead right now, or with the one they believe has the most "upside" and is their best hope for NEXT year (assuming these are not one in the same--and I get the impression they are not: what do you figure, Driskell now, Brissett redshirts and Tyler stays back-up, either way?)
I'll say this once again, just to be fair: I do hope I'm wrong about Brantley, that he DOES turn out to be fixable, coachable and a real asset, running Weis' offense with calm poise and efficiency...and if so, I will be the first to admit my premature pessimism, give him his due credit and my full support, and face whatever criticism the more faithful among you deem appropriate. I don't WANT to be right about this one.
(BTW, I suppose I could make a similar statement about "C*ckfingers", but I just don't see anything changing there--the first time a nice pass for a big gain clanks off those stone hands of his, I know I won't be the only Gator screaming "Get him OUT of there!", and in HIS case I expect the coaches to be right there with us...)

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
DRU I'm keeping an open mind this season to everything about UF. eventhough I hate Brantley and will never forgive him for the horrible performance last year, this year every single aspect of UF football has changed. So I'm kicking back with an open mind and am gonna watch the season.

(and hopefully in January we are talking about positive changes on here and not the hell raising, hair pulling arguments on how pissed we are like last year haha)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema