• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who Does Florida Hire?

mjfan23

VIP Member
So with the news about Urban stepping down, who does Florida hand pick?

They have alot of options imo.

mjfan23

VIP Member
Is Mullen as clear cut of a decision as people say?

Stoops will always come up as a name.
Chip Kelly - doubtful.
Is chris peterson locked in a boise!?

Squiggy

Gator Fan
Gus Malzhan (I'd like to see his offense without Camburglar before I really buy into it)
Dan Mullen
The OC from OK State (already rumored on Tigerdroppings to have been in talks with Urban)
The Dazzler (he might make a good head coach if he has assistants that are good with X's and O's)

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
I think they need to get Mullen. Bring him back and we can probably keep most of our players from transferring. Without him, I'm afraid we'll lose alot of people. Could be wrong, hope I am wrong, but still...

crmixon

Gator Fan
I don't think that you will see Stoops leave oklahoma. Too good of a deal there.

Getting Mullen to jump from one SEC school directly to another would be a hard sell.

Charlie Strong...don't know.

Kerwin Bell looks like a perfect fit.

I'm not sure if I really believe the news yet. Should have never checked the computer before leaving.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Too early for Kerwin (give him one or two more stops to refine his approach and collect a loyal, talented "crew").
Mullen w/a good OC OR Strong w/a good DC, but doubt EITHER are leaving yet (and is that "best we can do"?).
ADDAZIO???!!! Hope that's a joke...
Chip Kelly OR Chris Peterson, both "comers" AND look like good fits (my gut tells me Peterson the better choice for UF); both "happy" at their respective successful programs, but money might make it happen.
One more: the guy at OK St. (Horgorstan? No, that's not it, always get it wrong...) is someone to keep in mind here. I figure they'll be inclined to seriously consider (possibly even make overtures to) someone with knowledge of and previous ties to the Gator Program (eg. Mullen or Strong, as above), and if Foley were to bring in Strong they'd still need a new, high level/high profile young coach as OC and the Cowboy might get the call and make the better-than-parallel jump (for the money and prestige)...just a hunch.
If it's Mullen (probably the more likely of the two) then defense will be a question mark until a likewise solid hire is made to fill that vacuum (I just don't think the guys here already have shown enough themselves to be given the Defensive Coordinator job; am I wrong? If I'm not, who to bring in?).
Anyone else, anyone we've left out (I KNOW there's one I'm forgetting)? Someone "out of left-field"?

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Football - CoachesKerwin Bell - Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site

Check out Kerwin's Bio from the JU sports website. Check out who his assistants are, that I am sure would come with him.

I think it is a mistake for Foley to chase after all the prima donnas out there. None of them love UF, could not care less about what happens at UF. These guys all worry about themselves.

Let's get the guy that will never leave, and the guy that will do a much better job. A real winner, a guy that loves UF, just like Spurrier does.

Kerwin Bell.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Doug Dickey. Great QB. So-so coach. Kerwin Bell. Great QB. Not sure he has the experience yet for the big show. Yet.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Doug Dickey. Great QB. So-so coach. Kerwin Bell. Great QB. Not sure he has the experience yet for the big show. Yet.

What seperates Kerwin from most of the rest of these clowns, is that he has successful amateur AND professional experience (CFL & NFL). I think he has already proven himself for any Div I head coaching job. I heard all the negative arguments about how Emmitt could never make it in the NFL. Nobody, but Jimmy Johnson saw his potential. Same thing is gonna happen with Kerwin...we pass him up, another program will snag him, and everyone will sit around kicking themselves for not hiring him when we could have.

BTW - who told you Doug Dickey was a great UF QB? He and Brantley are probably about equal. In fact, Brantley is probably a little bit better.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Maybe I meant to say that Doug Dickey graded out a champion as a QB. Then again, he did coach Tennessee to an SEC championship in '67 and '69. Obviously he was not as hot as Florida coach.

Any way, it seems that in order to succeed as Florida coach, you need a certain kind of mojo. Prior success is not always an indicator. Spurrier had it. Meyer had it. I need more coaching data on Kerwin Bell.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I know how you feel about this and understand your point about Kerwin, but I still think it's too early in his career for the Gator Head Coach-job. He's less than 2 years out of highschool coaching, for goodness sake. He's come very far, very fast, and I suspect there's a certain inevitability to his eventual ascension to that height one day. For now, though, E-94's excellent summary of reasons for his going through at least a couple more job situations before being ready still apply.
Who, then? Lots of talk on TV, radio and the 'net. Just watched a "Top Ten Urban Meyer-Coached Moments" on SportsCenter, which included some Utah-moments along with the obvious Gator ones, and two things struck me. The first was, "That's one of the guys I keep forgetting about, the PRESENT coach at Utah!". I forget his name, but could Foley go to that well twice? Like Urban, he's done a lot with not-that-much there at Utah, and I believe he is one of those "innovative disciples" of Meyer's Power-Spread.
The second thing that occurred to me was how when you saw Urban highly involved in the offense on the sideline, that team was a dynamic expression of his offensive philosophy ADAPTED to the skills of the players he had AND specific exploitation of the opponents' defense. We know that was less so LAST season and almost GONE by this one...and suggests what we can and will expect to gain BACK in whomever is the next Head Coach of the Florida Gators.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema