• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Where's the passion?

gtrgrl97

VIP Member
I've been watching post game press of the players. There just seems to be no passion from our players about this loss.
I already noticed this on the sidelines and in post game stuff from our 'wins' so far this season. No passion about poor plays, no passion to rally to do better. For example, Brantley... I know he's no "tebow" and I know his personality is different. He is a great passer and quarterback. But there's no rallying the team to do better, "let's get it on the next play".... He gets sacked, gets a bad 4 downs, gets NOTHING on the scoreboard, ... and he goes to the bench on the sideline puts on the headset and has NOOOOO emotion over what just happened. What happened to our team FEELING "we can do better on the NEXT play" "LET's Go Team!!!!"
My son (who plays high school football) said to me this morning, " That's why Tebow was one of the best in college football, and you can't expect anyone else to do like him".
So does that mean the Gator Nation has to watch a passion-less sideline, with high scores or low scores, wins or losses? What did they say last night? Pouncey, Black, Brantley, "We just need to learn from this... We did okay, and we'll do better next time" ... PUKE!!!!
Okay, excuse me :) a little out of control there...
We even played okay in the 2nd half but COULDN'T cross in the end zone! And gave the ball away!!! Alabama was not very good in the 2nd half and yet we could not score on them!

I guess I miss Timmy jumping and yelling and chomping and being passionate! I want someone on the sidelines to rally the troops and say GOOOOO GATORS!!!
Does anyone else feel this way?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Exactly. Tebow was one of the greatest college players because if you believe in the now mythical student-athlete, lil' Timmy exemplified that role. NFL players just get payed to play. College players don't get paid (although they probably should) to be students, leaders, athletes, and ambassadors.

Brantley may be a better passer, but he's not a better player than Tebow. Same with Sam Bradford--better passer, better NFL stock, but not a leader like Tebow. Intangibles become tangible when all things are measured and there is no way to account for "dark matter", the immeasurable aspects that are leftover.

The 2010 Gators are loaded with athletes, but are short on leaders. Quick, name the leader of the 2009 offense and defense--Tebow and Spikes. Quick, name the 2010 leaders. Nada.

gtrgrl97

VIP Member
Brantley should have repeated The Promise during the press conference just for lols.

I know! When Brantley came out and said, "Blah blah blah, we did okay, we'll do better next time, blah, blah, blah..." (roughly quoted :)) I was like "WHAT THE HECK!!!":no:
Yuck

gtrgrl97

VIP Member
Sick, isn't it? The offensive leader comes from special teams? Even our special teams is subpar this year.

And I just watched Breakfast with the Gators, and the Urban Meyer show, and they did a clip about Chas, and Ahmad Black said, Chas is great and He's an awesome teammate, and great football player, but you know if he has to be out there doing his job, something's not right.

Chas DID an awesome job (MVP lol), the only score-er on our team yesterday

Escambia94

Chas did what we want someone else to do--step up and accept the role as leader and performer. He is my MVP. Heck, Crofoot the placeholder is an MVP--he didn't mess up. The waterboy didn't mess up either. He gets a cookie over the offense.

Escambia94

They surely do. A free education, if they choose to take it.

True. That's how it is intended. At risk of spawning a new thread, keep this in mind: the average NCAA player on scholarship is worth $250k per year on the open market [1][2][3]. If you low-ball the average public university tuition at $10k per year, times four years, and add textbooks, food and lodging for say, $20k a year total it pales in comparison to their open market value of $250k. Note that the minimum salary for an NFL rookie is over $250k, so that number is not unreasonable, and can be debated a lot. No matter where you debate it, there is still an entire order of magnitude disparity between annual scholarship value and open market value.

Throw in the graduation rate and we realize that not enough people believe in the mythical student athlete to even care about graduating. In the SEC that number is about 75%, and nationwide it is maybe close to that.

I believe in the mythical student-athlete and that college football is indeed a different game from the NFL, that it is not merely an NFL developmental league. If college ball were merely a developmental league, I probably would not watch it.

Back on topic, Tebow is one of the greatest college players, as framed by my construct of the mythical student-athlete. Brantley is not a great college player, but he may be a better NFL-caliber QB. He just goes to work and takes care of his own. Maybe he assumes his quiet demeanor will inspire others, or that someone else will be the rah-rah-sis-boom-bah leader, but if nobody stands up to assume that role it usually defaults to the QB. It's not happening, but it might be what we need.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
I've been watching post game press of the players. There just seems to be no passion from our players about this loss.
I already noticed this on the sidelines and in post game stuff from our 'wins' so far this season. No passion about poor plays, no passion to rally to do better. For example, Brantley... I know he's no "tebow" and I know his personality is different. He is a great passer and quarterback. But there's no rallying the team to do better, "let's get it on the next play".... He gets sacked, gets a bad 4 downs, gets NOTHING on the scoreboard, ... and he goes to the bench on the sideline puts on the headset and has NOOOOO emotion over what just happened. What happened to our team FEELING "we can do better on the NEXT play" "LET's Go Team!!!!"
My son (who plays high school football) said to me this morning, " That's why Tebow was one of the best in college football, and you can't expect anyone else to do like him".
So does that mean the Gator Nation has to watch a passion-less sideline, with high scores or low scores, wins or losses? What did they say last night? Pouncey, Black, Brantley, "We just need to learn from this... We did okay, and we'll do better next time" ... PUKE!!!!
Okay, excuse me :) a little out of control there...
We even played okay in the 2nd half but COULDN'T cross in the end zone! And gave the ball away!!! Alabama was not very good in the 2nd half and yet we could not score on them!

I guess I miss Timmy jumping and yelling and chomping and being passionate! I want someone on the sidelines to rally the troops and say GOOOOO GATORS!!!
Does anyone else feel this way?

totally agree with you. they same the same old thing every press conference" we gotta get better" been hearing that all years its time to back up your words. i actually want them to get better not talk about getting better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema