• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What do you think about Meyer saying we will use 2 QB's next year?

It should be interesting!

Florida fans better have enjoyed the 51 touchdowns QB Tim Tebow scored this fall. Even UF Coach Urban Meyer figures Tebow will not put up such gaudy single-season numbers the rest of his college career.

Meyer went as far as pledging that UF must play at least two players at the position next season if it hopes to maximize its success.

"Next year, we'll play two quarterbacks for sure," he said Friday. "We'll have to."

The main reason is to protect the Gators' most valuable asset. Tebow avoided major catastrophe this season but broke his right hand against FSU and played against Georgia with an injured right shoulder.

There appear to be three options for who could play in tandem with Tebow. Run-threat Cam Newton will be a sophomore next year, and John Brantley will be a redshirt freshman. Florida might sign a quarterback in February who could challenge as well.

Newton needs work, as Meyer said he has improved but likely will not play against Michigan in Tuesday's Capital One Bowl. But he might be needed next fall to give Tebow an occasional breather.

"I don't think he can stand three years of that punishment," Meyer said. "We'll have to be smart."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/gators/orl-caponenotes2907dec29,0,6533228.story

I see Cam playing the same role as as Tebow as far as running. If Brantley comes in, I expect a lot of passing. It should be interesting to see what happens!

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Using 2 QBs makes a lot of sense, but will it be Cam or John? Who can run better? Who has the most accurate arm? Who has the strongest arm? Who can keep the opposing defense most off balance?

I've never seen John play, but I assume he's more of a passer than runner, at least compared to Cam. So will the second QB be used the same way as Tebow (run and passing threat?) or will the second QB specialize in running or passing? Last season everyone knew Tebow ran while Leak threw. Will it be the same way next year?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
It worked last year for the Gators and also for Lame State University this season (I'm going to be sick if they win the title), why not? Besides anything to cut back the number of times Tebow gets hit.

awebbf5

VIP Member
i think cam will do fine taking snaps for short yardage,plus if we can get his throwing down pat that will throw defenses off also,i think brantley will be on the bench and just wait til tim and cam are gone to do his thing,but who knows.only thing i know both are better than leak

Leakfan12

VIP Member
i think cam will do fine taking snaps for short yardage,plus if we can get his throwing down pat that will throw defenses off also,i think brantley will be on the bench and just wait til tim and cam are gone to do his thing,but who knows.only thing i know both are better than leak

Man would you lay off Chris Leak. Sorry he didn't win enough games for you clown. Though Tebow is better than Leak (not to mention most quarterbacks in college). As for Newton, he's probably going to be a one season wonder like Shockley in UGA (well two seasons if Tebow leaves early for the NFL Draft {possible} or Newton gets redshirted {doubt it} or well I'm not going to mention it {too scary to mention it}). As for Brantley, I won't be surprised if he decides to transfer though I hope he stays for a season or two longer.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
i think once Tebow is gone, we might use Cam and John just like we used Leak and Tebow last year

as for next year though, im not sure how we can use these back-up QB's, both of them are good, Cam can pound it, John can throw, but Tim can do everything

shandsgator8

VIP Member

Is Cam really a FB-type running QB, like Tebow? I always thought Cam was more like Dixon and White.

Swampman

VIP Member
I doubt he'll be pulling Tebow in any big situations. Tebow will still be the main guy. I just think he might spell Tim every now and then with Cam... and if the Gators are up big, he'll pull Tebow early.

saltydog21

Gator Fan
I believe that a 2 quarterback offense will work only if you put Tebow in the backfield or as Tight End. How could you sit the number one QB in the nation. You always want number 15 in there all the time. There is SO many options with Tebow, Harvin, Brantley and the new running back. We should score big numbers next year. Hopefully as more as our Defense will give up!!!

dbgator1

Gator Fan
I like it. Cam is bigger than Tebow he is not a little guy. He can power run but whoever is back there better get more blocking than what Tebow got on the 1st. Play as many as they need to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema