• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 7 Reaction: Gators beat the cocks off South Carolina

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Note how the bottom-HALF of the above list pretty well documents our stirring late-game comeback from 10 points down.
THAT was a thing of BEAUTY.
This team is still a "work in progress", but that last few minutes of the 4th quarter was definitely a signpost on the road up ahead:
"HERE IS JUST A GLIMPSE OF WHAT PATIENCE, DETETMINATION AND FOLLOW THROUGH WILL BRING."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Check out "The Journey" on YouTube.
Simple sequence of shots covering the Gators' trip to Columbia by bus, arriving at stadium, in locker room before game, significant plays, locker room again at half, all the 2nd half big plays, postgame onfield and in locker room.
This team really IS growing up--BEFORE OUR EYES. (...We get to see a genuinely fired-up Billy Napier; the whole UNIT really cares for each other, RELIES on and trusts each other too.)
I don't know where this all goes, but it really IS "all about 'The Journey' here for now":
I'm beginning to BELIEVE...This team really IS "building something special" that could maybe end up being something truly great after all.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I was surprised by the film breakdown. Our eyes showed us that Florida revamped its offense for the game against South Carolina, but in reality it was the exact same offense! A Gator PhD broke down the play calls and compared it to the most popular film breakdowns and determined that the only difference is that Mertz took the deep option. To clarify: in Napier's offense there is always a deep option and the QB is expected to read the safeties and determine whether to take the deep, intermediate or check-down options. Last week Mertz had 120 attempted vs 28 completed air yards (254 total air yards + YAC). This week Mertz had nearly 500 attempted air yards vs 400 completed air yards (423 total air yards + YAC).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I was surprised by the film breakdown. Our eyes showed us that Florida revamped its offense for the game against South Carolina, but in reality it was the exact same offense! A Gator PhD broke down the play calls and compared it to the most popular film breakdowns and determined that the only difference is that Mertz took the deep option. To clarify: in Napier's offense there is always a deep option and the QB is expected to read the safeties and determine whether to take the deep, intermediate or check-down options. Last week Mertz had 120 attempted vs 28 completed air yards (254 total air yards + YAC). This week Mertz had nearly 500 attempted air yards vs 400 completed air yards (423 total air yards + YAC).
You know, on some gut level I too was struck by the same dichotomy: A more surface, cursory impression was that they'd "updated" the offense--but NO: Underlying that was exactly the reality you note here, E--...
Those "shots" downfield have been there all along. Now, I don't know if Graham was "encouraged" to more aggressively identify and GO FOR those, if he took it upon himself, or if the circumstances and game situations simply demanded he rise to the occasion--but he DID, and it WORKED, especially in that 4th quarter.
It remains to be seen how this carries forward, and to what extent our Offense is even able to find and/or exploit similar opportunities against the quality of opponent we'll be facing in weeks ahead. Indeed, can our Defense recover its consistent balance and toughness to a degree that even keeps us CLOSE?
Most realistic Gator fans have to be more or less "holding their breath" as we head to Jacksonville in a week and a half. We DO get to enjoy a relatively "stress-free bye-week" during which we can view and judge the rest of the CFB landscape with a certain relaxed objectivity.
My advice: Hold onto as much of that as you are able going into The Cocktail Party: Like most, I personally will be "hoping for the best, but ready for GOD-KNOWS-WHAT!"
It's been that kind of year.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema