• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 2: #13 Florida Gators 42, USF Bulls 20, 9/11/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We DO have a nice running game now—aw CRAP!
Emory short-arms ANOTHER throw to the other team; He had a guy WIDE OPEN too.
Sad: he’d been doing so well.
And suddenly we are back to poor tackling on defense too.
But it has been Emory’s return to choppy, uneven play that is the big let down here.
Between Emory’s poor play setting them up, and a wholesale return to that weak Grantham D, even a re-establishment of our dominance now will likely STILL leave a bad taste in our mouths.
I can SEE the problems on defense—and unfortunately I CAN’T see how this DC can likely get it fixed at all, let alone anytime soon...
But what the HELL is wrong with Emory Jones? Back to back INTs to start the 2nd half? He shows all the signs of having finally settled in, doing all the things he was expected to be doing—but then THIS.
He seems to have a seed of self-destruction somehow.
This was about the worst thing that could have happened in the second half: a full on breakdown by the starter at QB, AND our questionable defense FAILING in response, rather than riding to the occasion when called upon, even against a proven-deficient offense!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This has NOT been a good day for us after all.
Too many of the same questions have returned, on BOTH sides of the ball.
Lets see what AR15 will do now. If next week goes like I think it will, Anthony’s campaign for the eventual starting job may be starting here in the 4th quarter after all.
I HATE to say that, knowing Coach himself didn’t/still DOESN’T wanna see it come to that this season.
But we may well have to OUTSCORE opponents the rest of the way, especially in the SEC portion of our schedule. At LEAST a “TWO-QB System”, at any rate.
As he rolls left, then drops a DIME to Copeland as he is hit—complete inside the 10 yd line.
Gonna be HARD to keep AR15 off the field, given Emory’s continued troubles and inconsistencies.
Now Jones damn near throws another INT. I’m sorry, but AR15 shoulda been back in there after the one Jones play due to the helmet coming off.
Scattered boos from Gator fans; I’m assuming that is for Jones and/or the decision to leave him in.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Gator Nation is not happy with Dan Mullen or Emory Jones.
“Not happy” may be a serious understatement.
And in this case, I am beginning to agree.
Is “getting stuck with Grantham” related to “getting stuck with Jones” somehow, after all?
Immediately giving up the long pass to the backup is ridiculous.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Either our D shuts them
DOWN now, or I am just DONE with this team...This 2nd half has just about convinced me that the answer to the question, “Which Gator team will we be seeing this season?” is indeed turning out to be, “The uneven, talented-but-inconsistent-one that will break your heart when it counts!”
Sorry.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
So many ups and downs in this game, but a win is a win. Time to relax before the Alabama butt-whooping.

Attachments

• 6F5B814A-E9BF-4955-83FD-54565BDC17C1.jpeg
    6F5B814A-E9BF-4955-83FD-54565BDC17C1.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 97

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I *think * Carlos Del Rio-Wilson is the number three QB.
That’s right—DEL RIO is that “other talented but very young but inexperienced guy”, and I think he is ranked above young Kittna.”
Big BEAUTIFUL run by AR15!!!—but he comes up lame, damnit. We at least NEED him next week...but it LOOKED like a hamstring problem at the end of the run there...HOPING it’s just a cramp, but wouldn’t that just be the classic bummer now? Losing a budding star late game just as he was truly asserting himself?
I don’t know; long term may not make much difference (long as it isn’t TOO serious)—but as far as our chances of making something of THIS season, some semblance of our being at least COMPETITIVE next weekend against Alabama, then going on to double-digit wins in the rest of our season ahead would leave us in good shape AND in position to ride right into elite contention NEXT year with AR-15 alone at the helm of the Gator offense.
I guess we’ll see Jones now for sure—and to be honest I believe he still has some things to WORK on, too.
As for AR15, well we DEFINITELY need him healthy next week to have ANY chance at ALL. If he ISN’T 100%, he probably doesn’t play—and unless the clouds somehow clear and “the good side of The Force” somehow takes over in Emory Jones, our season takes a turn towards “get real” and “face the music”.
This much is clear as I wrap things here (Frankly, I CAN’T watch much more of this under-perform on our whole TEAM’S part now):
We DO now at least KNOW that we HAVE our “QB of the FUTURE”—and possibly our present as well, though that might not be that important the way this season may be headed after all.
I just don’t understand why Jones is still so up and own at this point...or how it seems to come and GO for him: both his insights AND his natural talents seem to settle in, then subsequently slip away. Those repeated failures on routine passes won’t necessarily even keep him at QB1 in the SEC; How do you figure the NFL scouts will evaluate him? If he has any eligibility left after this season he may HAVE to move on—unless he seriously picks up those very “uneven aspects” of his passing game, he WON’T receive a whole lot of high-round draft interest—and there’s NO WAY he keeps a healthy AR15 out of the starting job another year (he may not even be able to manage that for all of THIS season!).
Hard to see what Mullens can do to help Emory overcome his self-sabotaging inconsistencies.
Maybe this is the guy even HE can’t “fix” after all. We’ll see—Coach Dan will pull out all the stops, do all he can to get him on track and running our offense smoothly and successfully as possible.
Wish I could confidently say the same about Grantham and the defense. But I can’t. STILL don’t know WHAT we really got over there after all.
This is one post game that seems BOUND for confusion and dissatisfaction, to be honest. For that reason alone I will TRY to be patient and circumspect in the aftermath of Game 2 and leading up to Game 3.
For now, a little peace, and a certain amount of simply letting the rest of today’s games “flow by” with a minimum of emotional involvement or judgment. We’ll talk soon.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That’s right—DEL RIO is that “other talented but very young but inexperienced guy”, and I think he is ranked above young Kittna.”
Big BEAUTIFUL run by AR15!!!—but he comes up lame, damnit. We at least NEED him next week...but it LOOKED like a hamstring problem at the end of the run there...HOPING it’s just a cramp, but wouldn’t that just be the classic bummer now? Losing a budding star late game just as he was truly asserting himself?
I don’t know; long term may not make much difference (long as it isn’t TOO serious)—but as far as our chances of making something of THIS season, some semblance of our being at least COMPETITIVE next weekend against Alabama, then going on to double-digit wins in the rest of our season ahead would leave us in good shape AND in position to ride right into elite contention NEXT year with AR-15 alone at the helm of the Gator offense.
I guess we’ll see Jones now for sure—and to be honest I believe he still has some things to WORK on, too.
As for AR15, well we DEFINITELY need him healthy next week to have ANY chance at ALL. If he ISN’T 100%, he probably doesn’t play—and unless the clouds somehow clear and “the good side of The Force” somehow takes over in Emory Jones, our season takes a turn towards “get real” and “face the music”.
This much is clear as I wrap things here (Frankly, I CAN’T watch much more of this under-perform on our whole TEAM’S part now):
We DO now at least KNOW that we HAVE our “QB of the FUTURE”—and possibly our present as well, though that might not be that important the way this season may be headed after all.
I just don’t understand why Jones is still so up and own at this point...or how it seems to come and GO for him: both his insights AND his natural talents seem to settle in, then subsequently slip away. Those repeated failures on routine passes won’t necessarily even keep him at QB1 in the SEC; How do you figure the NFL scouts will evaluate him? If he has any eligibility left after this season he may HAVE to move on—unless he seriously picks up those very “uneven aspects” of his passing game, he WON’T receive a whole lot of high-round draft interest—and there’s NO WAY he keeps a healthy AR15 out of the starting job another year (he may not even be able to manage that for all of THIS season!).
Hard to see what Mullens can do to help Emory overcome his self-sabotaging inconsistencies.
Maybe this is the guy even HE can’t “fix” after all. We’ll see—Coach Dan will pull out all the stops, do all he can to get him on track and running our offense smoothly and successfully as possible.
Wish I could confidently say the same about Grantham and the defense. But I can’t. STILL don’t know WHAT we really got over there after all.
This is one post game that seems BOUND for confusion and dissatisfaction, to be honest. For that reason alone I will TRY to be patient and circumspect in the aftermath of Game 2 and leading up to Game 3.
For now, a little peace, and a certain amount of simply letting the rest of today’s games “flow by” with a minimum of emotional involvement or judgment. We’ll talk soon.
Meanwhile, Colorado has A&M ON THE ROPES—Their defense has had them there most of the GAME—but that tooyhkk Li Ed’s offense of theirs just won’t, CAN’T TAKE the damn thing.
Remember all those seasons then that’s how it was for US?
Not anymore. If only Mullens could somehow find himself and us the right guy, someone with the kind of approach to defensive dominance that he himself brings to the offense;
We’d finally have proper balance at UF and find ourselves more regularly in the running for the CFP come the end of each season.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Also Notre Dame barely won (again) and those clowns at Ohio State lost (Still hate them despite what's his face not being their coach anymore). I hope it's not too serious with AR-15. They should have scored at least 50 points against South Florida.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Also Notre Dame barely won (again) and those clowns at Ohio State lost (Still hate them despite what's his face not being their coach anymore). I hope it's not too serious with AR-15. They should have scored at least 50 points against South Florida.
Yes—that pretty well sums up the way I feel about “The Poison Nuts”...I was glad to see them losing, but all these other missed opportunities was pretty frustrating today:
All those chances to see those ridiculous “Bullshit CFP Rankings” fully unmasked are lost one-by-one by upstart teams bumbling their golden chances to seize the moment.
And I happen to be having the unfortunate experience of hanging here in Austin with a bunch of Longhorn fans on the wrong end of THEIR team’s being one of the few of such ranked teams in the process of SURRENDERING such an opening. Can’t say it’s much fun to be an incidental witness to such:
As a Gator, seeing, FEELING their raw experience of failure and sinking disappointment just comes too “close to home”.
I just keep thinking to myself, “So far, by all the signs, we just aren’t GOOD enough to avoid such moments ourselves—very likely starting NEXT Saturday!”

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes—that pretty well sums up the way I feel about “The Poison Nuts” (and all rest of your views above, by the way)...I was glad to see them losing, but all these other missed opportunities were pretty frustrating today:
All those chances to see those ridiculous “Bullshit CFP Rankings” fully unmasked are lost one-by-one by upstart teams bumbling their golden chances to seize the moment.
And I happen to be having the unfortunate experience of hanging here in Austin with a bunch of Longhorn fans on the wrong end of THEIR team’s being one of the few of such ranked teams in the process of SURRENDERING such an opening. Can’t say it’s much fun to be an incidental witness to such:
As a Gator, seeing, FEELING their raw experience of failure and sinking disappointment just comes too “close to home”.
I just keep thinking to myself, “So far, by all the signs, we just aren’t GOOD enough to avoid such moments ourselves—very likely starting NEXT Saturday

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Got a feeling this season’s “best moments”, comprised of a procession of dazzling moments from BOTH Gator QBs, ESPECIALLY of course young “AR15”, is already behind us:
Here comes the big “splash of cold water” in our collective faces...
Whatever we THOUGHT we had, whatever we might have HOPED this season was shaping up to be, it sure now feels as if something else entirely is about to come down like an avalanche upon us. This is why at THIS point I am just hoping we can ride it out, angle for the edge and set ourselves up for NEXT SEASON’S “run for the top”.
I fear it is our best hope—very possibly soon our only remaining “hope” after the chaotic rough up we are about to embark upon.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Leakfan12, @Escambia94,
So: What can we say, at this point?
(1) Two weeks in, there is only ONE “dominant team and program” today in major college football—so much so that I don’t even have to SAY who that is, do I?
(2) “Number 2” is a ways behind THEM, really...I mean, healthy even at this point WE might be able to beat UGA. Again, we stay healthy and get to work on our inconsistencies and even our less-than-hoped-for/still-a-work-in-progress current GATOR program could find itself still competing for an SEC Championship and at least a SHOT at a place in the CFB in December. That’s more a comment on the uneven state, mixed consistency and confusion of college football than a ratification of OUR PROGRESS, at this point.
(3) The early-hyped teams from other conferences haven’t looked like “world-beaters” out there so far; one doubts they’d well-weather an SEC-schedule.
Meanwhile, in OUR conference, aside from the Tide most of the rest have raised their game and overall quality, generally speaking based on what we’ve seen so far. They (well, “WE”) all have flaws—but are for the most part clearly further along than their “mid-pack” counterparts in other conferences. I don’t care WHAT the media fools say: Aside from a handful of MAYBE the “teams at the very top” of the rest of the major college football conferences, even an eight or TWELVE team playoff would seem to best include mainly at least HALF A DOZEN SEC teams, plus MAYBE 2 or 3 of those others to play off for a shot at Alabama.
I’m just saying. It’s only 2weeks into the 2021 season, and let’s face it: That is the basic (fundamentally unhealthy, I’ll grant you) reality we find at work in today’s NCAA Major College Football.
As long as television, geography, and MONEY are at the heart of it all, all the rest of us can do is look to our own: get yourself a talented (both in on-field matters and off), driven, honest and honorable Coach, trust him to build the kind of program (staff AND players) that properly suits the institution and its constituents (fans, boosters and Alumni), settle back and hope for the best/ultimately ENJOY THE RESULTS!
We seem to have managed to accomplish the foundational elements to just that scenario thus far—all still amounting to a “Long shot” at BEST, requiring a certain amount of “good fortune” even when you DO get it right.
And in today’s world, even “the RIGHT guy in the right situation” somehow “inevitably” either burns out or develops a hankering for a shot at that “next LEVEL” of perceived challenge and/or “Success”.
I suppose the best WE can do from here is to recognize that we finally GOT the “right guy” (at least “right for US!”), and hope we can hold onto him long enough to reach (and spend some TIME in) “The Promised Land”—perhaps even manage to leave “beyond that” to “the next generation”.
For now, I am at least prepared to go out on this much of a prognosticating limb:
If played right, the situation with personel (among both players and staff) carefully managed, the right moves and adjustments made this season and beyond PLUS of course a little luck along the way, and I THINK that NEXT SEASON could be The Year of OUR ASCENSION—when we truly compete at the very top of the CFB, and stay there for at least several years (depending on how long our Head Coach stays AND how well he can keep the “balance” I am assuming he will achieve, juggle and somehow HOLD for a time).
SO: We suffer through THIS season’s anticipated further inconsistencies, appreciate the strengths and growing solid potential of a tight and dominant TEAM in ALL facets of play—and appreciate all the things that prepare us and build towards that “ULTIMATE GOAL”.

Last edited:

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
@DRU2012 All we can say about the 2021 season only two games in is that Alabama stands above all other teams and the rest of us are witnessing a chaotic year where all the old rules are out the window. Oklahoma might be in the same rarified air as Alabama.

As for Florida, all we have seen is two preseason games where Dan Mullen has hidden his true plan—to the point where fans and sports analysts alike are upset with him. I looked at the plays that Florida ran and it looks to me like Mullen is hiding 90% of the playbook. The problem is that our eyes show us that EJ5 has struggled with simple smash concepts and outlet receivers. AR15 maybe struggled with some high-low and crossing concepts. Otherwise, we have no idea what the offense will look like in SEC play. The defense has not been stressed outside USF’s opening series.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@DRU2012 All we can say about the 2021 season only two games in is that Alabama stands above all other teams and the rest of us are witnessing a chaotic year where all the old rules are out the window. Oklahoma might be in the same rarified air as Alabama.

As for Florida, all we have seen is two preseason games where Dan Mullen has hidden his true plan—to the point where fans and sports analysts alike are upset with him. I looked at the plays that Florida ran and it looks to me like Mullen is hiding 90% of the playbook. The problem is that our eyes show us that EJ5 has struggled with simple smash concepts and outlet receivers. AR15 maybe struggled with some high-low and crossing concepts. Otherwise, we have no idea what the offense will look like in SEC play. The defense has not been stressed outside USF’s opening series.
I just watched a “Fast-Forward”-session with yesterday’s game against USF, and in light of that, your analysis, and everything ELSE that we’ve seen so far, I find that a “re-evaluation” is in order.
In the end, I have to agree with you, E—: Mullen probably HAS “hidden what he truly intends” after all. How that will manifest on the field in the weeks and months ahead as we enter the full-on SEC-portion of our schedule is difficult to envision...Not just his true plans and intentions but ensuing events, reactions and circumstances—things like injuries, not to mention the aims and actions of our competition’s rival Coaches, will inevitably play THEIR parts here.
And even acknowledging all of that doesn’t particularly sharpen or clarify much. It doesn’t even help to answer questions about the best current path at QB. I see why he is taking the approach he is PUBLICLY—but as for what he “should” or ultimately may well be “PLANNING” to do in that regard remains opaque.
None of the shallow and mostly reactive media prognosticators are getting it right, no matter WHICH side of the theoretical debate they are on; THAT much I CAN say with certainty.
I’m not going to press you for YOUR “bottom line” view as to what our Coach is looking for, and/or what he’ll likely DO accordingly, let alone what YOU think he OUGHT to do!
For now, it will have to be enough (and only fair) to “wait and see”.
My HOPE is merely that we will continue to “progress” enough to “hold our OWN” next Saturday in the Swamp—at the very least not embarrass ourselves: Hold our own.
I doubt ANYONE else could currently at best do more than that.
The only part of the ongoing supposed “QB Controversy” that I acknowledge is that no matter the immediate health of AR15 (though that “stretched hammy” MAY give Coach the “cover” to sit him this weekend, if that’s what he thinks is best for now), Jones will HAVE to eliminate his unevenness and inaccuracy, tighten up his game and properly lead our offense WITH CONSISTENCY if he is to remain even the “titular starter” going forward from there.
In the long run, it now seems pretty clear that as long as he stays healthy and continues as he is going, Anthony Richardson IS the future “QB-1” of the Florida Gators.
Ideally though, it FEELS like it would still be BEST if somehow Emory settled in as planned there THIS season while AR continued his rise as “another weapon”/“change-of-pace” for now, and we were able to allow things to develop more “organically”.
However, circumstances may not permit “us” (MULLEN) that luxury. Life (and college football) has a way of MESSING with “the best laid plans”—and this is already a crazy year, as you point out. Who can predict how chance and quantum chaos may “force the issue” in weeks to come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema