• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 11: Florida Gators vs Samford Bulldogs 11/13/2021

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The 4-5 Florida Gators of Gainesville, Florida take on the 4-5 Samford Bulldogs of Homewood, Alabama at the Swamp at noon this Saturday in their third meeting in 100 years. The Gators shut out the Bulldogs by a combined score of 91-0, winning 34-0 at Gunter Field, Montgomery, Alabama in 1921 and 57-0 at Fleming Field, Gainesville, Florida in 1922. For those keeping tabs on history, the Gators called Fleming Field home for all major sports from 1911 to 1930 before the football team moved out to Florida Field in 1930 (which was subsequently renamed Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at Florida Field in 1989, and later Steve Spurrier-Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in 2016). It should be painfully obvious now that I am really trying to stretch this post into a full paragraph.

Samford is the alma mater for Bobby Bowden (then called Howard College) and Jimbo Fisher. Both Bowden and Fisher were quarterbacks, with Fisher having played for coach Terry Bowden.

Last week the Bulldogs beat Citadel 35-14 on a 68-yard punt return, a 69-yard run, and 94-yard fumble return. Their best offensive weapon is 5th-year QB Liam Welch out of Augusta (GA), who averages a 65% completion average and 350 passing yards. He averages 43 rushing yards per game, and he gets sacked about 1.2 times a game on average. Welch did have a 582-yard passing day against Eastern Tennessee this season, and he has passed for more than 300 yards five times this season. He has tossed 17 TDs against 13 interceptions. On defense their best weapon is senior linebacker Nathan East; however, the defense as a whole is surrendering nearly 36 points and 480 yards. Here is a quick look at the Bulldog's season to this point:
DateOpponent (record then vs now)Score
9/2/2021vs Tennessee Tech (0-1 --> 3-6)52-14
9/11/2021@ UT Martin (1-1 --> 8-1)27-33
9/18/2021@ Western Carolina (0-3 --> 3-6)42-37
9/25/2021vs E Tenn State (4-0 --> 8-1)48-55 OT
10/2/2021@ Mercer (3-1 --> 6-2)42-45
10/16/2021@ Wofford (1-5 --> 1-8)27-24
10/23/2021vs Chattanooga (4-3 --> 6-3)13-55
10/30/2021@ VMI (6-2 --> 6-3)45-46
11/6/2021vs Citadel (2-7)35-14

Dan Mullen is 1-0 against Samford coach Chris Hatcher as head coach at Mississippi State in 2016. Mullen's 3-5 (2-2) Bulldogs defeated Hatcher's 6-2 (2-2) Bulldogs 56-41 in a shootout where Mullen's squad barely outgained Hatch's squad 669 yards (417 passing, 252 rushing) to 627 yards (468 passing, 159 rushing). That game was sloppy with 3 turnovers each. The common thread here is that in 2021 the Gators out-gained Alabama (440 to 331, 1 TO), Kentucky (382 to 224, 1 TO), LSU (488 to 454, 4 TO), and Georgia (355 to 354, 3 TO) and still lost the games due to turnovers and opponent points off turnovers. In a game where it appears that the Gators surrendered, South Carolina was the only team to beat Florida and out-gain them (459-340, 2 TO). Here is a quick look at the Gator season to this point:
DateOpponent (record then vs now)Score
9/4/2021vs FAU (0-1 --> 5-4)35-14
9/11/2021@ USF (0-2 --> 2-8)42-20
9/18/2021vs 1 Alabama (3-0 --> 8-1)29-31
9/25/2021vs Tennessee (2-2 --> 5-4)38-14
10/2/2021@ Kentucky (5-0 --> 6-3)13-20
10/9/2021vs Vanderbilt (2-4 --> 2-7)42-0
10/16/2021@ LSU (4-3 --> 4-5)42-49
10/30/2021vs 1 Georgia (8-0 --> 9-0)7-34
11/6/2021@ S Carolina (5-4)17-40

If the Gators can secure a shutout it will set a record for longest time between consecutive shutouts of an opponent. The Bulldogs are a quick strike offense with a horrible rush defense, so the Gators just need to control the clock to win this game and not turn the ball over. I anticipate some growing pains as Christian Robinson calls the defense for the first time. I predict a 42-10 victory for the Mighty Gators of Gainesville.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The 4-5 Florida Gators of Gainesville, Florida take on the 4-5 Samford Bulldogs of Homewood, Alabama at the Swamp at noon this Saturday in their third meeting in 100 years. This heated rivalry dates back to 1921 in a game so old and inconsequential that nobody seems to remember the score. Historians do agree that the mighty Gators won both match-ups by a combined score of 91-0, with one game played in Montgomery, Alabama and one played at Fleming Field in Gainesville, Florida. For those keeping tabs on history, the Gators called Fleming Field home for all major sports from 1911 to 1930 before the football team moved out to Florida Field in 1930 (which was subsequently renamed Ben Hill Griffon Stadium at Florida Field in 1989, and later Steve Spurrier-Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in 2016). It should be painfully obvious now that I really trying to stretch this post into a full paragraph.

Samford is the alma mater for Bobby Bowden (then called Howard College) and Jimbo Fisher. Both Bowden and Fisher were quarterbacks, with Fisher having played for coach Terry Bowden.

Last week the Bulldogs beat Citadel 35-14 on a 68-yard punt return, a 69-yard run, and 94-yard fumble return. Their best offensive weapon is 5th-year QB Liam Welch out of Augusta (GA), who averages a 65% completion average and 350 passing yards. He is averages 43 rushing yards per game, and he gets sacked about 1.2 times a game on average. Welch did have a 582-yard passing day against Eastern Tennessee this season, and he has passed for more than 300 yards five times this season. He has tossed 17 TDs against 13 interceptions. On defense their best weapon is senior linebacker Nathan East; however, the defense as a whole is surrendering nearly 36 points and 480 yards.

If the Gators can secure a shutout it will set a record for longest time between consecutive shutouts of an opponent. The Bulldogs are a quick strike offense with a horrible defense, so the Gators just need to control the clock to win this game. I anticipate some growing pains as Christian Robinson calls the defense for the first time. I predict a 42-10 victory for the Mighty Gators of Gainesville.
And the “hilarity” ensues!
Of course, the “punchline” would be the GATORS somehow fumbling this one away.
Not sure how even THIS weird version of regular “find-way-to-LOSE”-Gator ineptitude might manage it here, but as they say, “THAT’S COMEDY!”
Of course, one’d have to be a Nole, Cane, or Georgia grad to fully appreciate it—I certainly won’t be a focused witness to its detailed dissection and analysis, should it happen!
I mean, I really don’t know HOW to approach this one:
You’d THINK we ‘d be able to pretty accurately project the game’s outcome by what happens in the first few moments. That isn’t usually the case in any meaningful way, but this is different, wouldn’t y’all agree?
Oh, they (Samford—note the “m”...and thanks for the varied historical context attached to this opponent, by the way, E—) MIGHT be capable, under certain conditions (ANY well-drilled squad might match up ok against THIS Gator defense for a series or two, after all), of holding things even for a portion of the first quarter or so—but after that, this would ALWAYS have seemed (and CONTINUES to seem) an eventual, inevitably “overwhelming BEAT DOWN”—so one would THINK, at any rate.
But with THIS 2021 Gator Team, who can say for sure??!
More and more, in truth beginning with last season’s meltdown against LSU (which btw is where it all took a left turn and headed SOUTH for this Gator program—for the rest of that season and pretty well EVERYTHING SINCE, if we’re brutally honest), we have been “a team in disarray”: by now at “terminal velocity” and showing little sign of turning it around!
A win here won’t be much of a sign of ANYTHING, let’s face it.
A LOSS would seal the deal, though—so in that regard this one DOES have “meaning”, at least for Coach and players.
Yes, and fans TOO: T’would be pretty damn hard for ANYONE to ignore the meaning, not to mention the CONSEQUENCES then!!! Can you IMAGINE the headlines??? In Big, Bold LETTERS! If anything, I am now UNDERSTATING the likely reaction.
Now, even I don’t think it is likely...but there it is. An outlier as a “possibility”, but NOT a complete “IMPOSSIBILITY” either. That is how far we have already fallen.

Escambia94

Dan Mullen is 1-0 against Samford coach Chris Hatcher as head coach at Mississippi State in 2016. The Bulldogs defeated the Bulldogs 56-41.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(“...this heated rivalry...” heh heh I LOVE that. But then, brittle humor is all I’ve GOT the rest of THIS season.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I updated the first post with more details.
Not sure the game warrants that—but I give you props for managing to sustain your own interest and level of personal commitment, at the very least.
More than I can say for myself.
I say that with a certain embarrassed humility:
I just ERASED what amounted to a confession of my own complete LACK of interest in this one.
That’s right: I wasted time and effort in an attempt at wasting EVERYONE ELSE’S “time and effort reading it”—then a few more moments ERASING THAT!
In so doing I believe I have, however inadvertently, best encapsulated what this team has accomplished this SEASON.
Alright, enough with the steady self-pity—or I may be forced to go back and erase this one too!
But y’all can see that I’ve reached a personal low point here. My best choice for now may well be to simply withdraw for a while.
We’ll see. Maybe we’ll talk AFTER the game.

Escambia94

Maybe I am crazy or maybe I am stupid, but I still support this team.

Tied 14-14.

Escambia94

We are in a boat race with an FCS school. Maybe I was wrong before and this is Mullen’s last game.

Escambia94

On the bright side there are about 80k fans in attendance based on what I can see on TV.

Escambia94

Emory’s thumb is still taped up. Did Mullen literally beat Emory in a thumb-wrestling match?

Escambia94

The Gators are out-gaining the Bulldogs but this defense looks horrible.

Attachments

• 8B1F26FD-88DF-429D-B15B-D3749830354B.jpeg
    8B1F26FD-88DF-429D-B15B-D3749830354B.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 80
  • D67CA572-6B9C-4840-96DD-1F5FA47A71B4.jpeg
    D67CA572-6B9C-4840-96DD-1F5FA47A71B4.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 80

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Um, this is the worst defense in Gator history.
Thankyou, Grantham.
But this Samford offense IS playing a GAME.
Even if they lose, they will have scored a record TOTAL of points in a game by and FCS against and FBS team, at this rate.
And of course THAT’S after doing the same for a half earlier.
Now Gators lose onsides kick.
I didn’t watch first half.
I tuned in for fourth to see if we at least showed basic PRIDE in ourselves here in the 4th quarter.
But this is just a bucket of SHIT. I mean, OK, our D has been run into the ground in every way.
But to simply not show up.
What do the Gator power brokers DO? That is what is on the line now.
We’ll talk later. I am just overwhelmed.
I had a feeling we could flounder here—but THIS.
This is just a dispicable display of “GIVE UP”...they have and continue to do everything they can on defense to lose this game.
NO. CANNOT WATCH THIS.
Ti
Time to begin the drum beat:
Does Mullen survive the season?
Does he survive this GAME??!
SHOULD HE?
Discuss.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have missed most of the game; any reason given why AR isn’t playing? I mean, EMORY obviously isn’t the reason we are playing so poorly on D, but still...
We are gonna need every POINT to win this, if we indeed do.
We turn every opposing QB into a Heisman contender!

Escambia94

I have missed most of the game; any reason given why AR isn’t playing? I mean, EMORY obviously isn’t the reason we are playing so poorly on D, but still...
We are gonna need every POINT to win this, if we indeed do.
We turn every opposing QB into a Heisman contender!
Richardson is not playing because he lost the dance-off competition to Jones.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
With or without a Coaching change, this Hator team won’t be “BACK” for a very long time.
I doubt that can EVER happen with Mullen at the helm—but it also hardly matters now if we must wait another season for “the right guy” to come loose from somewhere, if that delete the case. It’ll be a long one regardless, I’m afraid, after watching THIS mess.
On the other hand, perhaps we nest get STARTED.
And another thing:
After this “wave a white flag” listless response by your team to a huge challenge, Mullen himself may just be ready to RESIGN.
If we lose, it may be a race between a firing and a resignation.
Hey—His TEAM quit: Maybe HE should to!
@Escambia94, I TOO “continued to support this team” at the start of today’s game; in fact, still DO.
But it is very difficult for me to say the same for this Coach now. And if we LOSE this, well...

Escambia94

Bulldogs get until ball with 8:41 to get 10 points. Gators have 672 yards to the Bulldogs, 582.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I’ve turned it back off.
We’ve begun to “pull away” (again!)—this time far enough and late enough that maybe we can just hang on to win, anyway...
But let’s face it:
The “damage” may already be done. All those POINTS—and no one left to blame but YOURSELF, Dan Mullen.
I am just sick. Even a strong win would have shown little on a long “road back”, but THIS!
I don’t know how Mullen survived this...and yet, with what it tells you about that locker room, not to mention what’s likely ahead if/when the Coach is FIRED...
I believe in fact that in this case, if it is time to “fire the Coach”, it is also time to FIRE THE AD as well!
We are in it DEEP, my friends.
It WILL be a LONG road back— and this whole administration needs a thorough clean-out and restart. No partial measures at this point. I have a feeling we are about to lose many (most?) of our best players (yes—on offense too!).
What you saw today is likely what we’ll see for many games and a number of seasons to come, I’m afraid. Only without the big offense!
And all compliments to Samford, but against the SEC, without some miraculous overhaul and resurgence we may well be “the doormat of the east” for a coupla seasons, at LEAST.
Oh how I hope I am wrong—and IF I am, I will HAPPILY accept all condemnation for not having properly “KEPT THE FAITH”.

Escambia94

57E1011E-6FEF-49B6-B120-E67ECF10233B.jpeg
The Gators pull off a basketball score against Samford. The Gators were on their heels throughout the game until middle of the third quarter. EJ5 is now #2 in the record books for passing yards in a game by a Gator QB. This defense is also in the record books for most yards surrendered by a Gator team in 117 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema