• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Very glaring statistic

I understand that our O-line did not do a very good job (which could be blamed on not having someone else block in the backfield for Tebow in the 2nd half), but here is where the problem really lies.

GAINESVILLE — I’m writing the obituary for the 2007 Florida football season for Thursday’s paper, and I came across this statistic. In the Gators’ four losses, their defense allowed opponents to convert 40 of 65 third and fourth downs. That stat alone explains an awful lot. Here’s the breakdown.

Auburn 7-15
LSU 13-22
Georgia 10-13
Michigan 10-15

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/wow/

tunaboat

Gator Fan
What happened to the Charlie Strong we used to know? He was one of the top DCs in the country... but after 2007 I wouldn't consider him top 10.

You're being VERY generous with that statement 2 Bits. Right now I wouldn't rate CS in the top 100 for NCAA DC's. He did nothing this year with a great deal of talent to work with. Strong has been here 7 years, and this was the worst. We have never been a tough D under Strong, except for last year's NC game. Youth and inexperience don't count in January for game 13. This level of incompetence had better be a one-year abberation or Mr. Strong, Mr. Heater and Mr. Matty should be shown the door.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
You're being VERY generous with that statement 2 Bits. Right now I wouldn't rate CS in the top 100 for NCAA DC's. He did nothing this year with a great deal of talent to work with. Strong has been here 7 years, and this was the worst. We have never been a tough D under Strong, except for last year's NC game. Youth and inexperience don't count in January for game 13. This level of incompetence had better be a one-year abberation or Mr. Strong, Mr. Heater and Mr. Matty should be shown the door.

Very harsh.

When playing corner or safety, experience is a VERY important component of having a good secondary.

I remember reading a quote about Strong or Mattison saying that they could only do so much. Our secondary was being taught all the right things, but their inexperience led to poor execution. Now, I don't know if excuses are being made, but I'm giving Strong and Co. the benefit of the doubt.

tunaboat

Gator Fan
Very harsh.

When playing corner or safety, experience is a VERY important component of having a good secondary.

I remember reading a quote about Strong or Mattison saying that they could only do so much. Our secondary was being taught all the right things, but their inexperience led to poor execution. Now, I don't know if excuses are being made, but I'm giving Strong and Co. the benefit of the doubt.

I disagree. How the players execute during the play is based on experience. How they line up before the play is coaching. When you line up so deep that you're giving away the field and a first down, that's coaching. Nothing harsh about that analysis. Another problem that comes with a preventive D scheme is it affects the mindset of the players. They are preventers, not attackers when playing in a soft scheme. This is what the D coaches put on the field all year, except for fsu, and the attacking stategy used against fsu worked out much better for us. Why we didn't stick with that is only known to the coaches.

Also, the youth and inexperience argument just doesn't work in January, in Game 13. Your biggest improvement is made between games 1 & 2. After game 12 you should be fairly comfortable playing the position. All our players are talented, highly regarded recruits out of high school. I have to believe they are also coachable. Players making mistakes is not the biggest problem with the Gator secondary, playing a soft scheme is. If we do it again next year expect the same results. Hopefully, we won't.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Our corners are playing well off the WRs (soft) because they can't cover very well. I've always assumed that our coaching staff has decided to give up 5-15 yards, rather than the big play.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Coaching? Do we even have a D coaching staff?

Maybe Ron Zook is sabotaging the D? OK he's wasn't but I like to blame Zook just for the heck of it. Anyway The D needs to step up otherwise the D-Coordniators will lose their jobs. I like the linebackering crop but that's it. Oh Zook got whoop in the Rose Bowl.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema