• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Urban to ESPN?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Urban and Nick--talk about The Odd Couple! The one thing they have in common is each man's well known antipathy for the media. They're both knowledgeable and, not surprisingly, well prepared, but I'd have to give Saban the edge so far--just for seeming more relaxed, and hence smoother. Meyer will be fine, though; the man is a perfectionist, highly analytical and self-critical, and he will NOT permit anyone to outperform him--LEAST of all Nick Saban! Look for him to come on strong at the half.

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
They are crying fowl over on the Sooners board about how biased ESPN is towards the SEC and having both Saban and Meyer just makes madder than hornets! I love it!

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
They are crying fowl over on the Sooners board about how biased ESPN is towards the SEC and having both Saban and Meyer just makes madder than hornets! I love it!

They need to realize that the reason they have Saban on is because he won the NC last year. And during last years game they had the previous winner Urban on.

And it only makes since to have Urban on again. Great spread coach now available to work in the booth and his relationship with Newton.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Tell 'em when the Pac 10 wins 1/2 a dozen Nat'l Championships in a row, maybe THEN they'll get to see some of their HC's in front of the camera...

Gatorfan24

Gator Fan
Yeah people are really upset about it apparently, or atleast it looks that way. Apparently they also hate mark may and Lou holtz also. Kind of rediculous reactions from them.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
None of it surprises me anymore, sad to say. We're used to all the haters, figure it has something to do with our success, but it seems to go beyond that--and knows no bounds!
The way it extended to Meyer , and apparently felt so DEEPLY, bordering on hateful anger, has always puzzled me, though--and it continues even now, with his stepping down from duties at UF. I have no frame of reference with which to connect to it; I loathed being over-shadowed by SOW and the "eeewww" at various times past, despised things about their teams, their fans AND their coaches--but never made it PERSONAL. Much as I reject Canes-arrogance, I RESPECTED Randy Shannon. We played some pretty hairy pranks on Seminole fans back in the day, and they on us, but I laughed at Bobby's jokes and couldn't HELP but like and respect him--no matter how much we enjoyed all the ways Spurrier tweaked him, every chance he got.
This is something else, something new, a reflection of some deep sickness out there. Whatever else you might feel about Urban Meyer-the-Gator, the former coach who had so much success in his time at Florida, this is an honorable, serious and dedicated individual in his professional life, whatever he is engaged in, and a warm, caring family man in his personal life, by every sign and manner in which these things can be objectively judged. Like many successful people, he has reached the heights of his profession by putting everything else in his life aside and or on hold while he strove to achieve; now even he has had second thoughts about that road. How that becomes the object of such deep and abiding contempt and hostility is beyond me. You'd think that these folks would just be happy and relieved to see his back, wave goodbye and move on, hoping maybe now they'll get a better crack at beating us consistently.
Instead, it goes on--even darkens. Hopefully it peters out over time, fades away, as new frustrations and reasons-for-anger-and-resentment arise in their small and warped little lives. Here's a hopeful thought: Maybe our NEW staff, our new COACH will have the kind of rampant success, along with his high-energy outgoing personality, that makes these types forget Urban Meyer, or (even better) make 'em wish he never left!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema