• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Urban Meyer Signs Extension

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
The University of Florida rewarded <a title="florida gators" href="http://www.gatorenvy.com">Gator football</a> head coach Urban Meyer with a new six-year, $24 million contract extension, which was finalized Monday, taking his total financial package to $4 million per year and making him the SEC's highest-paid coach in 2009. This was the right move by Florida. Meyer has delivered two national championships and elevated this program to the top in the nation. His new deal will run through the 2014 season, and there are also incentives involved that could raise his pay even higher.

"I continue to be very thankful and appreciative for everything the University of Florida and the athletic program has done for me and my family," Meyer said in a statement. "Dr. [Bernie] Machen, Jeremy Foley and the community make this a special place, and I'm honored to be a part of it."

Urban Meyer have proven that he is the best coach in SEC, and probably the entire NCAA. He deserves every penny he makes. Before you try to critize a school paying a coach so much money when the economy is in shambles, remember that Meyer's salary is not paid by the University of Florida, but instead by the University Athletic Association... which is a serperate entity. It is actually the UAA that donates millions of dollars to the school, not the other way around.

I'll be curious to see what LSU does with Les Miles. Les Miles has a clause in his contract that guarantees he will make $1,000 more than any coach in the SEC. So by Florida giving Meyer a raise, they just stuck it to LSU by forcing them to give Les Miles a raise to over $4 million.

Do you think this was a smart move by Florida? Do you think the timing is right or should they have waited until following the 2009 season. What if Meyer wins another National Championship... will he get another raise in 2010?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema