• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Triple duty for Pease

News Bot

News Bot
Brent Pease, of course, is Florida’s new offensive coordinator. He’s also the quarterbacks coach. And this spring, well, he’s kind of the wide receivers coach as well.
You can just call him one busy man on the practice field.
Because the quarterback and wide receivers are so intricately linked in the offense — and the fact Pease was the wide receivers coach at Boise State before he became the offensive coordinator there last season — Pease is spending a lot of his time coaching the wide receivers, along with Aubrey Hill.
Senior wide receiver Frankie Hammond Jr. thinks it’s pretty cool having the offensive coordinator working so closely with the wide receivers.
“He can see things through our eyes,” Hammond said. “When we tell him things, he’s like, ‘OK, I understand what you saw.’ He can go back and tell you and make little corrections and minor adjustments. Him having that kind of background, when we tell him things like, ‘I saw this,’ he has a better understanding because he’s coached the position.”
Pease is spending a lot of time coaching the receivers this spring.
“Yeah, yeah. Most definitely,” he said. “I’m probably a little, however you want to say it, picky or detailed or whatever with those guys, making the quarterback’s throw right on timing and rhythm and things. That’s important to me.
“When I was a receiver coach, I coached it that way so for the quarterback, it’s as easy for him as it can be. You can become robots in that position. You don’t want robots. You want guys that handle things, be able to beat coverages, little adjustments. Because you’re not always just running routes, you’re beating coverages.”
Pease was asked if the UF receivers were fundamentally sound at this point, or does he need to work more with them on that than he thought he would.
“I’d say more work,” he said. “What else do they have to do to make the jump? There’s so much involved in being a receiver. You’ve got stance, catching skills, blocking skills, releases, upper-body mechanics of it, lower-body mechanics of it, you’ve got to adjust to different coverages.
“You have to break all those things down in phases and develop those kids off a play call. That takes a lot of time. Realistically, we don’t always have that much time with them out there. So you’re going fast. They have to learn to be very coachable.
“As soon as you think you know what you’re going to do and something changes in front of you, you’ve got to adjust. That’s a lot of time. There’s a lot of reps. You’ve got to do 2,500 reps to reach perfection, they say. You can’t get that many reps in every little skill ability that they need. You hope they’re natural athletes. Our guys are good enough.”
They’re apparently starting to show it in practice. By all accounts, the wide receivers are consistently making more plays than they did last spring and last season. A lot of it has to do with coaching — making the receivers comfortable and confident in a scheme that fit the receivers so well at Boise State.

Source: GatorSports.com - Robbie's Playbook

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Details. Details, details, details. It's definitely one of the things that was missing the last couple of years before Coach M got here. Then there was focus on the defense's finer points, finally (and absolute FURY whenever and wherever these weren't heeded), but NOT over on Weis' offense, where the gaps and mistakes appeared to reflect a continuation of the same lack of focus and consistency that had marked Meyer's last season...Not ANYMORE, it seems, thankfully: Not with Pease's arrival. With his attention, I think that offense would have improved even WITHOUT the new faces, the growing return to health and depth on the O-line, and the rest--that concentration on DETAILS will itself make a great deal of difference in this offense. We're still a year away from greatness, I think, but we will be a better, more efficient team on BOTH sides of the ball this coming season--and the offense, with a lot more ROOM for improvement, will more dramatically show it early on, I believe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema