• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"The problem, Mike, is your zebras"

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Tony Barnhart also alluded to the same thing in his blog that Buddy Martin is saying here, and I agree; it's time for the SEC officiating crews to be held to a higher degree of accountability after the recent fine on Coach Meyer: http://www.gatorcountry.com/football/article/the_problem_mike_is_your_zebras/7555

(Link to Tony's blog; he feels that the conferences need to get out of the officiating business: http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-football/2009/10/27/time-for-conferences-to-get-out-of-the-officiating-business/ )

stonythegator

Gator Fan
There is something wrong with the officiating today. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I believe when there are as many penalties that look so blatant and even less calls made, a new round of officials needs to be brought in.

I'm sick of this. What's worse is that penalties are being called that seem to be well fabricated. I guess every zebra has its perspective of things. A once great conference of officials has become nothing more than a media frenzy and a biased bunch of asses. Who says a zebra can't change its stripes?

docvu

Gator Fan
Advances in technology give the audience (both at the game and at home) a much better chance of seeing what *really* took place during each play on the field. You'd think that since the SEC decided to embrace instant replay, that they'd actually use it.

I'm not sure I know anyone who, after seeing a play and several replays (from various angles), can't come up with the "right" answer (i.e., the answer you'd give if you were following the rules) -- even if the right call goes against your team.

Generally speaking, we call this "honesty."

SEC officials, however, seem to have an alternate view (pun not intended, but I'll take it anyway). In 2009, there have been so many "questionable" (read: erroneous) calls by SEC officials that they've both (a) admitted it (and suspended referees), and (b) decided that discussing their errors is a cardinal sin (Florida fans don't need an example; $30k is a lot of money to anyone).

In terms of basic "freedom of speech" (which the SEC doesn't have to allow), the SEC has also restricted rights of people granted credentials for SEC events. If you're interested in knowing more, just e-mail me.

I wonder when the institutions of higher learning that belong to the SEC will stand up to this creature we've spawned? Is that too much to ask?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema