• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The O-line is a concern, Rainey speaks, Quinton Dunbar getting high marks

travisduncan

Gator Fan
The Florida Gators are down to a total of 5 offensive linemen, and if you include walk-ons, they are at 7 total.

Because of injuries to the position and an overall lack of depth, Will Muschamp and his staff decided they would not break up the Orange and Blue game into two squads.

"We're going to probably have an offense that scores for the Blue and an offense that scores for the Orange," Muschamp said.

"We need to have a good functional day teaching our schemes."

"No. 1, we're too thin to divide up. No. 2, I don't want a guy matched up in a bad mismatch issue, and you can't get the ball off in some situations. That certainly can happen, especially as thin as we are."

"We're working about seven (offensive linemen), and that's total bodies," Muschamp added.

Ian Silberman, Chaz Green, Sam Robey, Jonotthan Harrison and Jon Halapio are the healthy scholarship o-linemen.

"That's all we've got. Injuries are part of the game. There's nobody feeling sorry for the Gators right now, I can tell you that," he added.

The latest o-lineman to be injured is tackle Nick Alajajian who suffered a knee injury and will be out three months.

James Wilson has a knee injury, Matt Patchan has a wrist injury, Xavier Nixon has a sprained ankle and David Young has a knee injury as well.

None are thought to be serious enough to last until the fall, but none the less, this is hurting the Gators now.

The Gators have depth and experience issues on the line, and so as the new scheme is installed, it will be curious to see how that lack of depth is accounted for, or if the O-line can play above expectations.

The early word from both coaches and players is that Charlie Weis' attack will spread the field with a mix run and motion to keep the defense off balance.

Chris Rainey talks with the media

When Chris Rainey met with the media last week, he said the offense is not that complicated once you pick it up. quarterback John Brantley echoed the same sentiment.

After his arrest, Rainey was not allowed to speak to the media last season, but Muschamp said that he thought it would be good for Rainey to do so. The coach says he has been pleased with the senior's work this spring.

Speaking to the media for the first time since his arrest, Rainey was guarded in what he said, but did say last season, "I grew up a lot, and that he "Did a lot of thinking."

He described his outlook on this season as a "New team, new leaders, new system, new me."

Rainey is the No. 1 guy at RB until Jeff Demps gets back from track season. Rainey should be used exclusively out of the backfield as well in Weis' system.

"Rainey's really had a good Spring," Muschamp said. "He's a guy that makes an awful lot of plays."

Concerning the new scheme, Rainey said this about getting the the ball deeper in the backfield in the I-Formation, "When I get the ball, I can just read the whole field, so that gives me a chance to read the field and do whatever I want. ... Lot of fun. That's why I tell them out there it feels like high school again."

Dunbar Impressing

Sophomore wideout Quinton Dunbar was praised by both Brantley and coach Muschamp.

"I think Quinton has made a lot of vertical plays down the field and has been really a guy that's a weapon outside because of his size, his vertical speed down the field," Muschamp said.

"He's catching the ball extremely well down the field."

Harrison and Burton on Twitter

Offensive lineman Jonathan Harrison is on Twitter at @BigHarr72

He tweeted April 2, "Sooooo Trey getting a Mohawk ?"

Trey Burton is on Twitter at @TreyBurton8

Brissett's prep

Muschamp said that incoming freshman QB Jacoby Brissett was at the facilities during his spring break from high school and attended a few meetings. He also came away with a DVD containing the offensive schemes.

It sounds like Brantley is the starter no matter what happens, but somebody has to be the No. 2 and Tyler Murphy, Jeff Driskel and Brissett each seem to have an equal shot.

Driskel is already on campus as an early-enrollee but Muschamp says that Brissett's summer arival won't hurt his chances.

The coach says his chance depends on, "How well he takes to the system, the terminology, how much study he does in the spring and summer, obviously is very critical. He’s a very conscientious young man, so I would assume that he will come in very well-prepared."

The 6-foot-5 freshman also played in the ESPN Rise National High School Invitational Thursday, and scored 30 points.

This kid is going to find himself on the basketball team at Florida.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Be0E9KrT4&playnext=1&list=PLA00DCDD47CEBABA5]YouTube - Next Step on MaxPreps.com w/ Jacoby Brissett[/ame]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema