• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Meyer v. Saban Debate

GatorsFirst

Gator Fan
A couple weeks ago, one of my Arkansas-fan friends asked me if I thought Urban Meyer or Nick Saban was the better coach. There are some similarities. Saban is a part of the 'Belichick coaching tree', while Meyer is turning into Bill Belichick. Meyer's "year-two" magic was well publicized at Utah, and then when UF won a National Title in 2006. Saban, of course, has Alabama the undisputed #1 team in the country, and in position for a National Title in year two. There are more, but that's not the point. The point it, who's better? My answer, of course was Meyer. Here is my argument as to why...

Consider Nick Saban's coaching record outside of powerhouse schools LSU and Alabama. Up until year 5 at Michigan State, they were really a .500 team. They also lost 3 consecutive bowl games to start his tenure (the only 3 they made). In fact, Nick Saban never won a bowl game while at Michigan State- when they beat Florida after the 1999 season, they were led by an interim coach. He lucked into an SEC title in 2001, as the best teams were most certainly Florida and Tennessee, but a 3-loss (all in-conference!) LSU was the West's representative in Atlanta, and benefited from what is now considered the beginning of the end of Phil Fulmer.

Urban Meyer has won everywhere. He went 17-6 at Bowling Green! BOWLING GREEN! He started Utah on a roll that hasn't stopped. And I thoroughly blame the players and their lack of maturity for last season. Even last year, which was probably his worst year (it certainly was, record-wise, though his year end rankings were roughly the same in 05) he coached a Heisman winner! He has a phenomenal record in bowl games, rivalry games, and games played with extra preparation (usually after a bye).

Anyways, what do you think? I've tried to look at this objectively, and the only arguments I've come up with for Saban over Meyer I can attribute to his being a head coach for longer. I also don't think this will be decisively answered Saturday- I think it will be but one more data point from which to form a conclusion.

Click here to view original article...

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I honestly think it's a pure coin flip.

I think if Saban wins on Saturday I'll give him the edge, as we're more talented than Alabama right now, and short of sheer bad luck, Alabama beating us will be because of better coaching.

GatorsFirst

Gator Fan
I wasn't meaning to put down Saban. I hope no one took it that way. I think they are 1 and 1a of college coaches, I've previously written about my feelings toward Pete Carroll.

It is a tough argument.

And the Notre Dame thing is ridiculous. Urban had a chance to go there 4 years ago, and passed. How are they in any better shape now? If he wins another title here, he will never be run out of town for sure (not sure he everwould be as it is now, considering he definitely has the support of the president, but see Fulmer, Phil). At Notre Dame, I think they are rapidly becoming irrelevant, and I couldn't be happier about it. It's a tougher situation there than the one he passed up 4 years ago. I've stated I'm much more worried about the NFL than I am ND.

All that to say, they are both incredible coaches, which is why it's a question worth asking. And I chose Meyer for two reasons: 1) he's our coach and 2) I can make an agrument for Meyer over Saban, but not yet for Saban over Meyer.

The other point is, we should see where these guys are in another 5 years, but I think it's safe to say they are the two best coaches in the NCAA right now.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I was watching ESPNU over the past two days, and naturally they're picking Alabama over Florida due to "power up front". Well, you know, they were saying the exact same thing about Ohio State back in 2006, and we all know what the outcome was then.....

And the Notre Dame thing is ridiculous. Urban had a chance to go there 4 years ago, and passed. How are they in any better shape now? If he wins another title here, he will never be run out of town for sure (not sure he everwould be as it is now, considering he definitely has the support of the president, but see Fulmer, Phil). At Notre Dame, I think they are rapidly becoming irrelevant, and I couldn't be happier about it. It's a tougher situation there than the one he passed up 4 years ago. I've stated I'm much more worried about the NFL than I am ND.

Agreed; I made my comments in that "Reliable source told me" thread - feel free to build on my longest post if you wish.

As much as I think rumors are dumbfounded, I read something Dan Patrick said that Jon Gruden was possibly interested in going to ND should Weis be terminated (link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/?eref=danpatrick ); here's what he had to say: "Dan heard that Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden may be interested in the Notre Dame job.

If you were Gruden and that job did become available, would you go there? Notre Dame has been a tough place to coach the last few years.

Dan points out that Notre Dame football means a lot historically.

There's also the small matter of Charlie Weis' future. Is he definitely gone? Would the possible interest of someone like Gruden affect how the school thinks about Weis?

The big question about Weis is his ability to manage a game. He never called a time out with the Patriots. And now he seems to have trouble with game management. Maybe he's better as a coordinator. Or maybe his personality fits the NFL better than college.

Lots of intrigue in South Bend. The next coach either cements his legacy as a great coach or runs into serious trouble.

E-mail us, call 877-3-DP-SHOW or hit the "Comments" below with your thoughts on the Irish."

Brian Kelly(head coach at Cincinnati)'s name is also being spun through the rumor mill.

As far as Coach Meyer ever considering the NFL, I don't really think he'd make the move, and he has in the past mentioned that he has no interest in doing so. College football and the pros are vastly different cultures; in college you're dealing with a team-oriented league of kids whereas the NFL is a player's league for grown men. With so many inflated egos, showboating and political jockeying on a much grander scale than what takes place in the NCAA, Urban Meyer could become easily disenchanted.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Gruden has repeatedly said that the Notre Dame job is his dream job. He actually has a ND escape clause in his contract w/ the Bucs.

gogators9606

Gator Fan
Answer this question.... Who would you trust coaching your son? Saban is a good coach but he does have a problem he is a liar and a quitter. In Urban I trust..... plus I do believe that UM is a better coach.........

GatorsFirst

Gator Fan
For future reference, please do not refer to St. Urban Meyer as "UM". I just threw up a little in my mouth...heh

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema