• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tennessean sports article 9/17

TNgator55

Gator Fan
KNOXVILLE — Tennessee might need a bigger bulletin board.

In recent days, Florida players have said they don't respect Tennessee, they don't consider the Volunteers as a rival, and, one Gator said, UT gave up during last season's 59-20 thrashing.

Phillip Fulmer's response?

"I don't think our players quit," the UT coach said. "If they don't respect us, why are they practicing?"

Welcome to Tennessee-Florida week.

Verbal shots flew Tuesday as Tennessee prepared to host No. 4 Florida this weekend. The Gators started with a few zingers Monday, followed by some pointed responses from the Volunteers.

"I read some comments that (Florida) made about this not being a rival game," UT receiver Gerald Jones said. "This is a rival game. With that comment, it's pretty much saying they're overlooking us or they don't take us as serious as Georgia."

Jones wasn't done, especially when it came to Florida quarterback Tim Tebow.

"In the summer we had Tim Tebow's face posted up in the weight room, so when we lift, we know what we're lifting for."

And then this:

"It's not gonna be a game. It's gonna be a war," Jones said.

Calling out the Vols
In Tuesday's editions of Florida Today, Gators linebacker Brandon Spikes said UT gave up late in last year's game, and that Florida special teams player Derek Baldry said an unidentified Volunteer told him he wasn't going to try and block an extra-point attempt. The story was first told after the game and was brought up again this week.

"That kind of surprised me, for him to say (he) didn't want to rush," Spikes told the newspaper. "But I know they are not really as tough as us."

UT players and coaches disputed the accusation, and most preferred to compliment Florida's performance from last season and not add any more fuel to the fire. UT defensive coordinator John Chavis chose not to directly discuss Spikes' comments, and simply said Spikes is an outstanding football player. Others who have been around the UT-Florida series said people shouldn't read too much into the barbs, and that it's simply the product of two teams who despise each other.

"It's in our hands whether they respect us or not," UT linebacker Rico McCoy said. "We determine how we play, not them. If you let somebody score 40 or 50 points on you, you have the right to say what you want to say."

Florida Coach Urban Meyer has stayed away from the jabs and praised UT this week.

"They are as talented a team as I've ever coached against from the first game to this game," Meyer said.

"That was my first SEC game as a head coach and I was like, 'My goodness.' You get ready to play them and then you get out there and they are big, thick and fast athletes."

Fulmer spoke mostly Tuesday about last season's game. He said UT was in it for three quarters, and that the Volunteers shot themselves in the foot during key times and it allowed Florida to pounce.

Fulmer also pointed to the play of his team's defense, which had less depth than this year and simply wore down. The defensive line "was gassed," he said, and UT's secondary was in shambles thanks to injuries and inexperience.

Fulmer is obviously using last year's embarrassing loss as motivation, but he is also employing the world-is-against-us mentality, which UT used to its advantage late last season.

"I don't think anyone in the nation is giving us a chance," Fulmer said.

"Nobody that I've talked to. Maybe a couple of my buddies, and I think my wife. I'm not sure."

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I hope our players learn to shut their mouths as the season progresses. This kind of talk might not hurt us this week, but it could backfire later in the season.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Video highlights from Vols, responding to Spikes comment

Highlights of Vols, responding to Brandon Spikes comment are HERE (a must see!!!!)

You can see the whole video.... here , from GoVolsXtra.com

---------------- Now playing on Windows Media Player: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Gator on the Lawn via FoxyTunes

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I expected lots of trash talk from the days of Spurrier, but I had hoped that under Meyer they would focus more on football and less on pre-game trash talk. All I hear from Texans and non-SEC fans is that Florida deserves every loss they have with all the trash talking.

jamjimmy

Gator Fan
we (the gators) are not trash talking, we are just telling the truth. we will annihilate the vols. they have no chance of even scoring a point. I think our 3rd string could take their 1st string. WE OWN THE VOLS!!!!

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
we (the gators) are not trash talking, we are just telling the truth. we will annihilate the vols. they have no chance of even scoring a point. I think our 3rd string could take their 1st string. WE OWN THE VOLS!!!!

We (the Gators) and you (jamjimmy) are trash talking.....

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Trash talking will always be there no matter what, but it can also backfire on us - case in point last January's Cap One Bowl when we were spewing smack in Michigan's direction pre-game and wound up biting us in the ass afterward.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema