• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Talk of the Town": Calling out the Orlando Sentinel

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I know I said that my last post in that Janoris Jenkins thread would be my last about that situation, but after seeing that latest Jeremy Fowler blogpost over at the Orlando Sentinel - whom I used to have a degree of respect for, by the way, but not anymore - who's still beating this poor dead horse with an article entitled "Will Tim Tebow help prevent future arrests" (link FWIW: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/06/will-tim-tebow-help-prevent-future-arrests-.html) I need to VENT.

Living in the greater Orlando area as I do I find this newspaper, as well as many of its so-called "reporters", nothing short of embarassing. For a newspaper supposedly owned by the same group that owns the Chicago Tribune to keep publishing such yellow journalism, especially where area sports are concerned, doesn't create a positive image or good reflection on the company as a whole - for all intents and purposes, the South Florida-based National Enquirer ought to own and manage this paper based on the tabloid-quality articles they've been releasing for print both on paper and online lately.

For reporters and bloggers to keep playing to the sensationalist media audience - two of the biggest culprits are Mike Bianchi and Andrea Adelson (who I absolutely loathe) - it gets downright irritating and aggravating. If their main intent is to set "trollbait" designed to elicit anger from the Gator fanbase as well as encourage smack talk from rival fans in the articles and blog posts they publish as opposed to simply reporting the news (Adelson's famous alibi whenever she's called out by somebody atune to her tactics), they're fooling nobody. In fact, they ought to be ashamed of themselves.

As I was watching ESPNews, I couldn't help but notice the "Slantinel", as it's often referred to by us locals, was cited in an item on their newswire last night regarding a recent interview with Urban Meyer about the number of player arrests. Naturally I was enraged; it didn't surprise me to see this paper once again playing the part of the instigator.

What the hell is their point in all this?

I really wish somebody would tell this outfit to knock it off - especially somebody from UF's Sports Information office. If and when the "Slantinel" is ever named defendant in a lawsuit should they publish anything purposely slanderous, I'll be rolling on the floor, laughing up a storm - and unamused.

And disgusted by their contant display of playing to a fringe element, just like children who don't understand the meaning of the expression "stop it."

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
If you can't silence the problems, then just silence the critics?

You're missing my point.

I'm sick and tired of all the "trolling" by the media, and their habit of constantly stirring the pot. Is all that necessary to make one's point clear? I don't think so.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
You're missing my point.

I'm sick and tired of all the "trolling" by the media, and their habit of constantly stirring the pot. Is all that necessary to make one's point clear? I don't think so.

When you're the king of college sports (UF) and on top, everyone wants to try and bring you down. It's envy at it's greatest. A story about "also-rans" (see fsu, bama etc.) doesn't bring much excitement.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
When you're the king of college sports (UF) and on top, everyone wants to try and bring you down. It's envy at it's greatest. A story about "also-rans" (see fsu, bama etc.) doesn't bring much excitement.

The travesty of what the Sentinel's doing is that Bianchi and Adelson are supposedly UF journalism grads (I'm not certain if Fowler's a UF grad also). If they exercised a little more tact, stuck to reporting the news instead of purposely egging on hostility and stopped being so repetitive, they'd be a lot more respectable and a lot less tiresome.

What's the point of repeating the same topic over and over again? I'm under the impression that one only needs to state a point once; if the reader/listener has trouble comprehending what is written or spoken, that's not the problem of the preson conveying the information. If the media thinks that their audience as a whole has that same trouble, then they're fools.

If others are jealous of our Gator football team for its success over the past four years, too damn bad. Our kids and coaches worked hard to attain the goals they've achieved, and have nothing to be ashamed of. Sure there are issues, but then again, every other team has them of one kind or another.

Another thing - other Gator beat writers I've been reading (the PBP's Ben Volin, the Miami Herald's Joseph Goodman, Tampa Bay Online's Antonya English) aren't guilty of the same thing that the others are - they're a lot more respectable than the bunch writing for that rag called the Sentinel and don't keep browbeating the same topic.

As far as I'm concerned the "Slantinel" sucks, and it's time for them to clean up their act.

So you believe none of this needed to be reported, that the Orlando Sentinel is just stirring the pot, that 1 arrest every 2 months is just normal college football and it shouldn't involve anyone outside the locker room ? That it is because the Florida Gators are great so that makes them untouchable by the media?

Or is that you just want to keep a lid on it for selfish reasons.

Alabama is being ripped apart in the media because 22 student athletes (7 from football) received books and lent them to friends and family over a period of 3 years, but 24 police arrests (all from football) in 2 years should be swept under the rug?

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
So you believe none of this needed to be reported, that the Orlando Sentinel is just stirring the pot, that 1 arrest every 2 months is just normal college football and it shouldn't involve anyone outside the locker room ? That it is because the Florida Gators are great so that makes them untouchable by the media?

Or is that you just want to keep a lid on it for selfish reasons.

Alabama is being ripped apart in the media because 22 student athletes (7 from football) received books and lent them to friends and family over a period of 3 years, but 24 police arrests (all from football) in 2 years should be swept under the rug?

Again, WHY are you as a rival fan so OBSESSED with the Gators and what goes on in our organization? You have more than enough problems in Tuscaloosa; if I were you I woudn't be so quick in the trigger to be so critical of Florida - especially with the recent NCAA ruling against your school.

My issue, which you fail to see, is that the Sentinel is going way overboard. It's not necessary for the media to keep dwelling on the same issue over and over again on purpose. THAT's my point.

And frankly, there are some things that are none of the media's business. They won't be satisfied until they know exactly what Tim Tebow eats for breakfast - and leave it to some hack to stir up controversy over something as trivial as that.

see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil.jpg

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
DAYUM, the Slantinel loves to cause trouble - according to them, UF self-reported a couple of minor recruiting violations, but here's the kicker:

Through public records, the Sentinel requested any secondary and major NCAA violations committed by the football team within a 12-month span.

That tells me that they were basically looking to dig up dirt on UF.

Don't they have anything better to do? Is it such a happy, shiny world at UCF that they can't find any skeletons in their closet?

What a bunch of hacks.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
This latest "Slantinel" gaffe really pisses me off:

"Everyone gets the common flu, but it's about time Harvin stops letting little incidents affect his career. In other words, just stay out of the news."
(Link: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/06/percy-harvin-gets-sick-again-and-leaves-nfl-rookie-symposium.html)

For crying out loud, did Percy ask to get sick? Give me a break, Jeremy. Perhaps the "Slantinel" should stop trying to make every news item involving the Gators controversial and should just report the FACTS - and if they feel an item isn't newsworthy, just mind their own business.

SHEESH!

(P.S. After so much uproar, Fowler "softens" his blog post by changing that one line to the following: "Everyone gets the common flu, so it's probably something he couldn't control. For his sake, here's to Harvin having a low-profile rest of the summer. He always seems to be in the news for something these days." What a jerk - it's these moron media types who MAKE a big deal of it. He can't retract what he said originally, so what's his point in sugarcoating it just to try and save face?

As a Gator fan living in Orlando, it's embarrassing to have a rag like the "Slantinel" reporting the UF sports news. FWIW many out-of-towners don't have a very good impression of them, either.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema