• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Talk of the Town": A time for changes

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
I've been reading a lot of commentary around the Net - the good, the bad and the ridiculous - surrounding Urban Meyer's recanting of his original decision to step down as Gator head football coach and opt for a leave of absence instead. Based on everything I've read to-date I've come to form my own opinion, which I'll explain.

I have every reason to believe that Meyer will be back on the Gator sidelines later this year (seems that he's temporarily postponed the LOA to make sure recruiting and staffing needs have been met). However, when he plans to return to the sidelines in full force I can't speculate on. I'd love to see him back by the time the regular season starts as do many other Gator fans, but that's ultimately a decision he, his family and the appropriate UF administrators will decide on. There are still those who doubt he'll return, but I believe Meyer is a man of his word and meant what he said after the Sugar Bowl when he stated that he intends to be coaching the Gators later this year.

I have to laugh at those calling coach Meyer a "flip-flopper" and a "whiner"; I'd love to ask some of them if they're so perfect that they can easily pass judgment on this man without reflecting on their own lives to examine themselves and their shortcomings. Folks, life in general has it's peaks and valleys; that's natural law. Take a walk on the beach and stop to marvel at the ebb and flow of the tide; that's the nature of the universe and the way God meant it to be. Still, God never promised that our earthly lives would be a rose garden. At one time or another, every one of us experiences difficult moments, and for those times when these are out of our realm to handle ourselves there's no shame in asking for help in order to rectify or resolve them.

As far as I'm concerned, Meyer did the right thing in opting for the LOA to address his health and personal issues. Had he been adamant about resigning, he would have eventually come to regret that decision and it could have been more detrimental to his well-being. I feel that he could have been throwing the baby out with the bath water had he made the decision to resign final, and why I say this: (1) Five years' time measured by today's standards is a relatively short span, and (2) for the first time since last season, Meyer had a roster comprised of his own recruits with no holdovers from the Zook years. He now has his vision for Gator football and his Plan to Win implemented with very little-to-no resistance from his players as he experienced during his first two years in Gainesville. Meyer even admitted in an interview with ESPN's Tom Rinaldi that he woudn't have felt right leaving the program in the wrong hands, and that convinces me that his dedication to Florida football is strong and sincere.

Now that he's rounding out his staff after some recent attrition with coaches he can trust and delegate responsibility to, he can begin to make the necessary changes to his lifestyle and the way he approaches certain situations that will be both to his benefit and that of the Gator football program. I only hope that even though Meyer's still 100% responsible for the overall program, his assistants and even his players will show accountability for what takes place on the field, and that he won't take adversity so personally going forward.

If there is one suggestion I would offer Coach as he's making these changes, it's regarding player conduct. I recall a quote from "Urban's Way" where he stated that he wants to coach football and not and not have to deal with "issues"; going forward, I'd like to see our assistants take a more proactive role in reinforcing team rules and and expectations regarding proper behavior with their position players as well as see these kids held to a higher level of accountability for their actions. After all, these kids are 18-22 year old young adults and should be expected to think and behave in a mature, rational manner. Irresponsibility should no longer be tolerated, and what should be done when a player is faced with a potentially adverse situation should be discussed by the staff during the off-season practice sessions.
God helps those who help themselves, and I believe Coach Meyer is taking the initiative to do all he can in order to facilitate his eventual return to the Gator sidelines when he's finally sound in body, mind and soul. I'll still be praying for him and his family, and I can't wait for him to be back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema