• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Should the current run by the SEC be considered a dynasty?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That is the key--balance. We lacked it last year despite supposedly having everything else. For a spread offense we did not spread the ball well, other than giving everyone a chance at QB. At the very least it will be fun to watch the team grow. It just was not fun last year. I heard lots of reports of players not getting along, players defecting, some even thinking of mutiny. I cannot verify how true the reports are, but the on-field performance showed it. Even the Gator Walk and the parade at Homecoming showed something was wrong. The only happy players were Ahmad Black and Trey Burton--and they performed well. Everyone who walked around like angry zombies did not perform well, or was average.

Well, in retrospect it seems pretty clear you were right: there was DEFINITELY "something wrong"...Urban was basically "gone" already, leaving an over-matched, under-qualified non-entity in charge of the offense (and God-knows what else)--and that's just to start with! Then there were all those other rumors, problems and under-currents swirling about and through the whole program. Hell, with all the injuries added in it's probably a tribute to our innate talent that we did even THAT "well" (a winning record and a New Year's Day Bowl-victory over Penn State would not be considered mediocrity at a lot of places--but that season was not acceptable at UF, NOR SHOULD IT BE).
Fortunately, the same conditions that made achieving THAT much possible amid LAST year's inept organizational blundering still apply--the cupboard is not (nor will it be) bare, far from it. The dramatic wholesale positive changes that have taken place will mean all the talent can now be properly focused; this will NOT require a long "rebuilding process", as many of us were so afraid we were heading for if that mess we sensed last year continued to deepen.
On the contrary, I believe we'll actually have some real fun watching this team come together and grow into something pretty amazing over the course of the coming season, ready to make a sustained run beginning NEXT year (2012).

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am really excited about the changes. I got tired of hearing from fellow Gators, "Meyer only won because of Tebow", "Meyer is nothing without Mullen", and "I thought Meyer was an offensive genius". We just need to beat F$U so I can stop hearing "The 'Noles are back".

We should be fine in 2012. As I have always stated, I don't mind losing but I hate being a loser. Even in some of the games we accidentally won in 2010 we sure looked ugly--I did not feel the Gator magic. We are going to lose a few games in 2011, but we need to not look like complete idiots when we do lose.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, let's now say it: we KNEW things were "off" back in 2009--THAT'S when it stopped being "fun".
Here we still had TT, a stellar cast around him (on BOTH sides of the ball), and it FELT like we were "struggling our way" through an undefeated season. Truthfully, deep down it felt like we were somehow "losers" even then; finally the Tide came along in Atlanta to verify it.
Everything that happened after, the whole 2010 season up until Urban's stepping down, was both a continuation and a result of that confirmation. One could argue that our getting THAT far in '09 was a tribute to #15's greatness, both as a player AND a leader, his indomitable will-to-win. Without it, the ineptitude at OC and continued general "drift at the center", where Urban Meyer (formerly the heart of the program) was now a cypher, a man who didn't WANT to be there, meant that not only did the product on the field continue to deteriorate in 2010, become more and more difficult to even watch, but it began to feel as if the whole program was careening out of control.
The good news of course is that what made the deterioration so sudden ALSO made recovery potentially almost as quick. We're all pumped at the changes that are in progress. From where I feared we were at by the aftermath of that visit to SOW last season, I could not have dared to hope we'd find ourselves so well-positioned just 10 weeks later! Got to give everyone involved in that turnaround the most heartfelt congratulations and thanks--starting with J. Foley, of course (and then to Will Muschamp, and so on...).

ShortBus

VIP Member
yeah i'm stoked about the upcoming season, and definitely 2012. I'm not expecting 'miracles' by any means, and as everyone said before me 2010 was suppose to be a down year, not a blundering bunch of jack wagons looking like peewee football out there, never was it that we lost it was how we played. winning or losing it was ugly. very ugly. hopefully we see some progression this year which will lead to a very good 2012. (i'm not expecting an SEC appearance this year, but i am in 2012)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We'll have our moments this coming season, and by November we'll be really starting to hit our stride as a team, I think.
Now, come 2012, look out world: SEC Championship and beyond will be there waiting for us to come together and make it our own once more. I'm not saying it will be easy: no one is going to hand us ANYTHING.
I'm saying that we will be good enough to take it--the rest is in the heads, hearts and souls of the players and coaches coming together as a great TEAM. This could be one helluva ride, and we've got to remember to enjoy it . I sure haven't had much fun the last couple of years while we "slid in the mud", going backwards. I too am prepared for some bumps in the road, as long as we're moving forward.
Go Gators!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema